U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 AM

380 posts, read 117,194 times
I read that with NAFTA you have to either go back to the border or hire a lawyer in order to validate the visa. But I'll have to do more research on that. The more I think about it the more I'm thinking I should stay 3-6 months in the US after graduation and then return to Canada, at least for 2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 AM

747 posts, read 938,631 times
Why don't you apply for jobs? If you get a job, your company will sponsor your visa, which they would have to do if you were an intern too. With ANY visa, you have to get it validated by crossing the border.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:48 PM

1,910 posts, read 1,307,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
I read that with NAFTA you have to either go back to the border or hire a lawyer in order to validate the visa. But I'll have to do more research on that. The more I think about it the more I'm thinking I should stay 3-6 months in the US after graduation and then return to Canada, at least for 2 years.
My nephew is a software engineer and Canadian. He worked in several places in the US with a NAFTA visa. It was very easy to get.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:13 PM

OK I just checked the nafta visa application process :

TN Visas: Professionals under NAFTA | Embassy of the United States Ottawa, Canada

There it says that you have to bring all documentation including information about your position at the port of entry. I have read about canadians hiring lawyers who handle all the paperwork by mail though. Since I now intend on staying just a few months, I might choose the easy route and go for a J1.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:40 PM

747 posts, read 938,631 times
Quote:
the easy route
Why is the J1 easy? Both will require paperwork and, actually, the most difficult part of this whole process will be actually getting a job or an internship.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:00 AM

J1 is simpler because you can apply for it before finding an actual internship, as long as you have a sponsor such as an american university. And you're right, the most difficult part would be to find an internship.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
J1 is simpler because you can apply for it before finding an actual internship, as long as you have a sponsor such as an american university. And you're right, the most difficult part would be to find an internship.
The biggest question I have is why do you want an internship at a ridiculously low salary? All of the interns I have worked with in the businesse were still in college. I have never seen an intern that had graduated.

I have worked at several companies in Silicon Valley that had a lot of Software Engineers from Canada.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:35 PM

I did not know it was possible to ask for 70K or more in the SV without experience.

I am going to take the advice of marcopolo666 and say I'm going to pursue in graduate school so I can still qualify as intern. If i want to be hired on a regular contract, then I'm going to have to apply for the work visa after I find the job, whether with a J1 I can get it before finding the job.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:26 PM

939 posts, read 1,528,681 times
I have a masters degree, and from a pretty good school, and I can say career-wise a masters degree unless it is from a significantly more prestigious school than your undergrad is not a good move for your career, most employers I've worked with would count it the same as having an extra 2 years experience, given that you have to pay money, and forgo a salary during that time I would say it is of no help.

By significantly more prestigious I would go say if you have an undegraduate degree in CS from Waterloo, don't bother getting an MS from Stanford, sure Stanford in your resume will get you some more interviews, but except for the pickiest places I don't know of any place that would look down on Waterloo.

"I did not know it was possible to ask for 70K or more in the SV without experience. "

The median starting salary for CS grads (Bachelors) from Stanford, CMU and MIT is routinely over 70k, and students usually have barely 1 or 2 internships, and jobs in Silicon Valley tend to pay better than almost any place except DC, that includes Boston and NYC.

The places I've worked at usually have interns during the summer 3-4 months, and pay from $4k/mo - $6k/mo depending on the place, I know that is a huge variance.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I have a masters degree, and from a pretty good school, and I can say career-wise a masters degree unless it is from a significantly more prestigious school than your undergrad is not a good move for your career, most employers I've worked with would count it the same as having an extra 2 years experience, given that you have to pay money, and forgo a salary during that time I would say it is of no help.

By significantly more prestigious I would go say if you have an undegraduate degree in CS from Waterloo, don't bother getting an MS from Stanford, sure Stanford in your resume will get you some more interviews, but except for the pickiest places I don't know of any place that would look down on Waterloo.

"I did not know it was possible to ask for 70K or more in the SV without experience. "

The median starting salary for CS grads (Bachelors) from Stanford, CMU and MIT is routinely over 70k, and students usually have barely 1 or 2 internships, and jobs in Silicon Valley tend to pay better than almost any place except DC, that includes Boston and NYC.

The places I've worked at usually have interns during the summer 3-4 months, and pay from $4k/mo - $6k/mo depending on the place, I know that is a huge variance.
You have confirmed what I have been saying. I agree that getting a Masters Degree would be a waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose