U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:54 AM

748 posts, read 1,014,275 times

Advertisements

Oh - go online to Craigslist. That is the ONLY way to find an apartment here. You will get a really good idea at what you will get in your price range. You won't find a nice 1 Bdrm/1 Bath for $1400 here, and if you do, it's a scam. Plan to start your search in the 1800/2000/ month range or higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 AM

5 posts, read 4,718 times
We are definitely going to need 2 bed and at least 1.5 bath apt. $2800 sounds crazy! That's twice of what we are paying right now.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:56 PM

262 posts, read 420,715 times
You likely won't find 1400 a month rent for a 2 bedroom, unless you want to live in a sketchier neighborhood. I'd recommend staying away from the newer mega-apartment complexes as they usually always tend to be overpriced--by quite a bit actually! Craigslist is great--go for the older established condos or townhouses, even may find houses in your budget. You can find relatively reasonable prices in good neighborhoods if you aren't after glitz and glam.

$2200 / 2br - 1320ft² - Open House Thursday (1/24) 4PM Great Saratoga Vineyards Location (saratoga)

$2300 / 3br - 1335ft² - House - Cats Garage Fireplace Dishwasher (campbell)

Old 01-24-2013, 04:33 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,428,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom2013 View Post
Thanks for the inputs everyone. But do you think with $150 K, a family of 3 can leave comfortably in bay area?
Yes, you can live pretty comfortably on $150K.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Yes, you can live pretty comfortably on $150K.
John - you keep telling people that, but you are retired and have no debt. Let's get real here. OP is moving here making the same amount of money, but will have to add about $1000/mo to their rent, and they are buying a car - so add a car payment to that. You don't know if they have student loans either. Also, baby expenses. All that adds up, and it's not so comfortable anymore.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
John - you keep telling people that, but you are retired and have no debt. Let's get real here. OP is moving here making the same amount of money, but will have to add about $1000/mo to their rent, and they are buying a car - so add a car payment to that. You don't know if they have student loans either. Also, baby expenses. All that adds up, and it's not so comfortable anymore.
How do you know whether I have any debt? It so happens that I do have a mortgage. In fact I refinanced my home not long ago and will be doing it again. I could have paid off my home when I retired but chose not to that as I don't believe it is a good idea but that is another story. I don't have any other debt.

Look, it all depends on what you define as comfortable. If one can't live on $150K then you have a big problem managing your financial affairs or some extraordinary expenses.

Adding $1,000 /mo rent plus a $500 car payment is $18,000 /year. That still leaves plenty to live on.

FYI, the cost of living in San Jose CA is slightly lower than Boston. The local purchasing power in San Jose is 15.5% higher than Boston meaning that the average person in San Jose is better off.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...San+Jose%2C+CA

Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Look, it all depends on what you define as comfortable. If one can't live on $150K then you have a big problem managing your financial affairs or some extraordinary expenses.
Ok - then lets pose the question to the OP - OP, given your financial situation and the lifestyle your living now - will having to spend an extra 1500-2000 per month going to be a big deal to you? How is that going to affect how much you contribute to your 401K, college fund for your baby, and savings for a down payment for a house?

John - since you are retired, you aren't contributing to a 401K, or any college funds, or saving for a down payment for a house. You don't have the expense of driving a mini van, diapers, or daycare. OP is asking for specifics and feedback pertinent to her situation - not yours. Just saying.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
Ok - then lets pose the question to the OP - OP, given your financial situation and the lifestyle your living now - will having to spend an extra 1500-2000 per month going to be a big deal to you? How is that going to affect how much you contribute to your 401K, college fund for your baby, and savings for a down payment for a house?

John - since you are retired, you aren't contributing to a 401K, or any college funds, or saving for a down payment for a house. You don't have the expense of driving a mini van, diapers, or daycare. OP is asking for specifics and feedback pertinent to her situation - not yours. Just saying.
We did all those things and lived very comfortably and I was the only breadwinner in the family. I also was able to afford a very comfortable retirement thanks to the opportunities in Silicon Valley.

I get tired of all the people who think that Silicon Valley is the only high cost area in the US. The median household income in the US is approximately $50K /year. Even adjusting for the high COL in San Jose, $150K would be heaven for most people in the country. Subtract the extra $2,000 a month and the family is still left with a pretty high income. At least the high COL in Silicon Valley is pretty well offset by higher salaries for high tech workers. Now if you aren't in high tech then I wouldn't advise moving to the area except in special circumstances.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:47 PM
E2W

1 posts, read 501 times
Default Living in SJ, Just Moved from Boston

Real Estate is expensive compared to Boston. SJ has less content compared to Boston. My friends who have moved out here when they were single or had no children are now moving back East because levels of healthcare and education are significantly better. As for cultural content, Boston is richer than SJ but not as good as SF. Hubby and I are moving to SF for that reason but a 2bd/2ba will cost you at least $3000+ (parking is usually additional). The rents in SJ is slightly lower than SF but you will not get your Boston 2bd/2ba for what you are paying right now in SJ.

Need to balance between child and your work futures - I admit that I moved to SJ due to work prospects but if I have a kid now, I would raise him/her in SF or move back East.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:50 PM

262 posts, read 420,715 times
I think the ball is with the OP now, what kind of lifestyle are you expecting? Are you expecting the "keeping up appearances", spending-money-when-we-feel-like-it, whole foods, pottery barn, Nordstrom, restaurants three times a week lifestyle...or do you often live more modestly...watching grocery bills, trader joes, JCPenny's, Target, eating out once a week... if appearances and luxuries are not as important to you, you will be fine here! And with that said, even on 150k here you can splurge on some of those luxuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose