U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-28-2013, 11:04 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,203,911 times

Advertisements

San Jose is not a dense urban city like Boston and San Francisco are. It's more of a sprawling suburbs, or at least a large porition of the city are suburbs.

It's nice and very pleasant living in the San Jose area, but if you're looking for a "Boston-like" experience you'd have to live in SF and that's a 1.5-2.5 hour commute each way.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 12:44 PM

14,344 posts, read 12,191,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
San Jose is not a dense urban city like Boston and San Francisco are. It's more of a sprawling suburb, or at least a large portion of the city is suburbs.

It's nice and very pleasant living in the San Jose area, but if you're looking for a "Boston-like" experience you'd have to live in SF and that's a 1.5-2.5 hour commute each way.
I don't think the commute to SF is ever 2.5 hours, although possibly 1.5 at times. (Although to me, 1+ commutes are never worth it, so maybe a moot point). Otherwise, this is correct.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:10 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,428,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Um, no , not at all.

It is human nature to not want to have to reduce your lifestyle. We feel the pain of loss much more strongly than we feel the pleasure from gains. It's the way our brains are wired.

While it it certainly possible to live a decent life here on 150K, their 150K income probably goes further in Boston than it does here, and that's mainly because the rents here are higher. The only area where they'll get a break in utilities, and that probably isn't enough to make up the difference with the same higher cost of almost everything else.
You miss my point. We moved back to California knowing very well that our financial well being would be somewhat reduced. However other factors were more important than having a smaller home. This is true for many people that move to California.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:35 PM

748 posts, read 1,014,275 times
Quote:
You are just a whiner. Why don't you move back to Texas if you think it is so much better.
A whiner? No. A realist, yes!!! I DO think life was better in Texas, but we are making the best of living here in SV. Did you notice that I said that I live here in SV? You, on the other hand, don't live here - and haven't for 7 years. You are voicing your opinions to someone who is not in your stage of life. And, I don't think that you can compare raising your kids, and income back when, to what young people are facing now. It's a different world.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
A whiner? No. A realist, yes!!! I DO think life was better in Texas, but we are making the best of living here in SV. Did you notice that I said that I live here in SV? You, on the other hand, don't live here - and haven't for 7 years. You are voicing your opinions to someone who is not in your stage of life. And, I don't think that you can compare raising your kids, and income back when, to what young people are facing now. It's a different world.
It is not much different. If you think that life was better in Texas then why not move back there. I cannot understand why somebody would complain about where they live and not do something about it.

Though I haven't lived there for 6 years, I am well aware of what is going on as we visit often and have many friends there. Our son and family ( he has 3 small children ) live in Monterey.

In any event you can continue complaining and being unhappy there and do nothing about it. That is not my problem.

There are people that complain all the time about where they live and don't do anything about it.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:12 PM

748 posts, read 1,014,275 times
John - I'm not complaining, and I'm not unhappy. If you notice, I keep my opinions true to the OP - giving her the straight goods on how much more expensive life is here in the bay area. Is that whining? Does that make me a complainer? Does that make me unhappy? No. I have stated that the only reason we are here is because of a career opportunity - in which our salary doubled - which made it EASY to live here in spite of the horrific COL. Go back and read OP's comments and my suggestions. You casually throw out that it's easy to live off of 150k/yr, based on YOUR situation, and what you did - what 30 years ago? How about consider the OP, and the tough decision she and her husband have to make, uprooting their family, a move across the country, for a possible downgrade in lifestyle. For what? To live in California? So they can be renters forever? I still think what you are adding to this post is irrelevant - nuff said - I'm not engaging with you anymore.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
You miss my point. We moved back to California knowing very well that our financial well being would be somewhat reduced. However other factors were more important than having a smaller home. This is true for many people that move to California.
Yes, I get that and that's fine. But you made an awfully blunt and polarizing statement with that "it's all about money and nothing else" comment. I think the point Easybay and I are making is that 150K income here with kids probably does come with a lifestyle downgrade (even from a place like Boston) and that while certainly a good income, it's far from being on "easy street" when kids are involved. Your polarizing "money is all that matters" statement seemed to trivialize this reality (at least to me).

Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, I get that and that's fine. But you made an awfully blunt and polarizing statement with that "it's all about money and nothing else" comment. I think the point Easybay and I are making is that 150K income here with kids probably does come with a lifestyle downgrade (even from a place like Boston) and that while certainly a good income, it's far from being on "easy street" when kids are involved. Your polarizing "money is all that matters" statement seemed to trivialize this reality (at least to me).
Nothing polarizing about that. It really is about money as you people are talking about lifestyle downsizing. That is about COL vs income. If that isn't all about money then I don't know what is.

I have never said that the OP will be able to maintain the same lifestyle. My point is that they should be able to live quite comfortably in San Jose on that income barring extraordinary expenses.

When choosing a place to live, I don't worry about the difference in cost of living. I am only concerned if I can afford to live comfortably there even if I do have to downsize my lifestyle. There many other factors that are more important than where I can buy the biggest house.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:37 PM

6,843 posts, read 16,781,062 times
Rent, daycare, and transportation costs are all higher in CA. As you've found, your rent will close to double, and daycare will probably be about the same. We have a perpetual shortage of housing and high demand from immigrants and out-of-stater like yourself who want the opportunities of living out here. It's a "grass is greener" phenomenon. Yes, we have a ton of high-tech companies. No, on an individual level, you're probably not going to feel like moving to CA is an upgrade, at least not right away.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Nothing polarizing about that. It really is about money as you people are talking about lifestyle downsizing. That is about COL vs income. If that isn't all about money then I don't know what is.
Obviously YOU didn't think so but I did and I suspect easybay did as well. It just came off as kind of snarky, like we're some kind of greedy, money obsessed ogres or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose