U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 PM

5 posts, read 4,759 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I currently stay in Boston with our newborn daughter. Our salary together is around $150K. He has got an offer in San Jose but not much difference in the salary (but a better company with growth opportunity in future) and I can work from home. I want to know if it would be a good idea to move considering the cost of living - rent, daycare cost, etc. We will probably buy a new car soon so that's another cost to consider.

Please provide some inputs.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 05:02 PM

To add to this - We will need to rent at least a 2 bedroom apartment with 1.5/2 bath because of the baby.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 PM

622 posts, read 423,299 times
Boston is a pretty awesome city as are some of its surrounding cities and towns in terms of lifestyle and education. San Jose does have a lot of hot companies and if your daughter is an infant, now might be the time to move vs. later when she's older. Basically, your husband could get the experience and you could always move back.

I can't speak too much to San Jose in terms of neighborhoods. I'm a San Francisco and East Bay person. I've been to San Jose so few times I can count the visits on one hand.

However, in terms of cost of living things like buying vs. renting is an issue. Will the company help with relocation? If so, how much?

One thing: the weather is better. But, to me, Boston/Cambridge and the surrounding towns are consistently ranked high for healthcare and education. If you're with a good company healthcare will be covered. I'm not sure about education in San Jose. I'll lurk so I can learn more too.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Status: ""My dad is better than your dad" - City vs City Forum" (set 24 days ago)

5,965 posts, read 3,570,813 times
The areas are comparable price-wise, though in San Jose I don't think you'd have nearly as many entertainment options as the Boston area. You'd also have the added expense of a car & insurance. I'd say the main question is how important this career change (and its possible advancement) will be for your family vs moving to a place which is less cosmopolitan/exciting but not necessarily cheaper.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 PM

1,923 posts, read 1,444,703 times
The San Francisco Bay area is a great place to live. We lived there for many years and loved it ( Left in December, 2006 ). We go back to visit quite frequently because our son and family live in Monterey. I have visited Boston but never lived there. You can live pretty well on $150k.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,610,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The areas are comparable price-wise, though in San Jose I don't think you'd have nearly as many entertainment options as the Boston area. You'd also have the added expense of a car & insurance. I'd say the main question is how important this career change (and its possible advancement) will be for your family vs moving to a place which is less cosmopolitan/exciting but not necessarily cheaper.
Well, if you're looking at the city proper, yes. However, if you want to take weekend trips up to SF, Marin, Wine Country, Monterey, Tahoe or Yosemite (to name a few), I don't think you can beat the excursion opportunities.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the inputs everyone. But do you think with $150 K, a family of 3 can leave comfortably in bay area?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 AM

748 posts, read 1,023,949 times
Quote:
I want to know if it would be a good idea to move considering the cost of living - rent, daycare cost, etc.
Maybe post what you are paying now, so we can help compare the differences. When we decided to move from Texas, our decision was pretty easy because DH salary doubled. We were able to afford a house that was double what we owned in Texas (with the added bonus of being half the size), state income tax, gas prices being $.50/gal higher, etc. We would not have done it without the salary increase. Coming from Boston, you will probably find things in CA pretty similiar.........?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 AM

We are currently paying $1400/month for a nice 2 bed,2bath apartment in one of the suburbs. My daughter is not going to daycare yet but the daycare cost around here is between $1200-1500/month. From the other posts, it seems like rent as well as daycare cost is much higher in bay area. Any thoughts?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 AM

748 posts, read 1,023,949 times
We paid $2800 for a 3 bdrm newer 1600 sq ft townhouse in Westgate area of San Jose (so a nice area), 3 years ago when we moved here. I looked for 3 solid days for rentals, this was the last one we looked at, and nicest - we only got it because we needed to provide 2 months security deposit, and 1st months rent, the other 20 people who signed in when viewing all wanted to rent it but didn't have $10,000 to put down up front. Rents have gone up since then. Before we bought, we were looking for something bigger and raised our rent to $3500 - we saw a house that we were going to rent, and when the owner saw how much interest there was in the property, increased the rent to $3800. We decided to buy instead. The landlords here are terrible. There are some really nice newer apartment complexes in the Rivermark area (where we were in corporate housing), that are probably renting 2 bdrm/2 bath for $2500-2800??? Maybe less? We were at the Carlyle. Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose