U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 PM

10 posts, read 17,689 times
Default South Bay Neighborhoods best for City Dwellers?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help us out. My husband and I relocated to San Francisco about 2 years ago for his job (in Mountain View). We have been renting in the city since we moved, and are about ready to think about buying a place. We're a bit at odds because our priorities are a tad different - I would love to stay in the city, but other than Noe Valley, haven't found anywhere that is a perfect "match." I'm late 20's, he's mid 30's, and we have no children, but plan to in the next couple of years, so a good school system is ideal. I've traveled to South Bay a handful of times, and have liked what I've seen, so I am open to the idea of moving there for more space, better weather, and a closer commute for my husband. Can you guys recommend a few cities that we should start looking in? For me, the "cute factor" (curb appeal) is essential, and a nice downtown, restaurants, shopping strip would be ideal and help me transition from the city more easily. I grew up in the suburbs, and don't mind it...but would definitely appreciate a downtown that has some life going on, not a neighborhood that only has your standard fast food restaurants, applebees, etc. I've heard great things about Palo Alto, but I think price-wise, it will be out of our budget. We probably will look between 800K to 1.6M or so, and definitely need a single family home. I've only been looking right now in Menlo Park, but know there's more out there than that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 AM

3,660 posts, read 4,687,686 times
Palo Alto downtown (university ave.) has a lot to offer. So does Mountain View downtown (Castro st.).
Also El Camino is kind of like one long series of shops and restaurants, no matter which town you're in. So if you live near El Camino you can get a similar experience.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,173,325 times
El Camino is not walkable.

Look at Los Gatos too.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:04 PM

7,228 posts, read 5,735,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenphant View Post
For me, the "cute factor" (curb appeal) is essential, and a nice downtown, restaurants, shopping strip would be ideal and help me transition from the city more easily.
Cute factor + walkable downtown/restaurants = Willow Glen, Los Gatos, Mountain View, or Palo Alto.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:18 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,377,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Cute factor + walkable downtown/restaurants = Willow Glen, Los Gatos, Mountain View, or Palo Alto.
You can add Menlo Park and San Carlos if you go a bit further north.

Possibly even Saratoga and Los Altos, although this is on a smaller scale.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 AM

3,660 posts, read 4,687,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
There's a lot of spots on El Camino with high density of shop. Those areas are definitely walkable.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:07 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,468,091 times
Mountain View is where his job is and seems to fit all your qualifications pretty well, why not look there?

Old 01-29-2013, 03:58 PM

6,555 posts, read 15,657,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenphant View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help us out. My husband and I relocated to San Francisco about 2 years ago for his job (in Mountain View). We have been renting in the city since we moved, and are about ready to think about buying a place. We're a bit at odds because our priorities are a tad different - I would love to stay in the city, but other than Noe Valley, haven't found anywhere that is a perfect "match." I'm late 20's, he's mid 30's, and we have no children, but plan to in the next couple of years, so a good school system is ideal. I've traveled to South Bay a handful of times, and have liked what I've seen, so I am open to the idea of moving there for more space, better weather, and a closer commute for my husband. Can you guys recommend a few cities that we should start looking in? For me, the "cute factor" (curb appeal) is essential, and a nice downtown, restaurants, shopping strip would be ideal and help me transition from the city more easily. I grew up in the suburbs, and don't mind it...but would definitely appreciate a downtown that has some life going on, not a neighborhood that only has your standard fast food restaurants, applebees, etc. I've heard great things about Palo Alto, but I think price-wise, it will be out of our budget. We probably will look between 800K to 1.6M or so, and definitely need a single family home. I've only been looking right now in Menlo Park, but know there's more out there than that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
If you're looking at Menlo Park, you should also consider the Cuesta Park neighborhood in Mountain View. While there's not much going on inside the neighborhood, downtown MV is right on the other side of El Camino Real and the school system in this area is excellent. It should fall neatly within your budget (provided there is inventory), and it will make for an easy commute as well. It sounds like a no-brainer to me.

As an example: http://www.redfin.com/CA/Mountain-Vi...40/home/647427

Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Mountain View is where his job is and seems to fit all your qualifications pretty well, why not look there?
Thanks! To be honest, I don't know. Not a single one of his co-workers he knows lives there (really not sure why) but that's probably why it hasn't come up as a possibility. But if it does meet those qualifications, we'll definitely add it on the list of places to look.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Palo Alto downtown (university ave.) has a lot to offer. So does Mountain View downtown (Castro st.).
Also El Camino is kind of like one long series of shops and restaurants, no matter which town you're in. So if you live near El Camino you can get a similar experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post

Look at Los Gatos too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
You can add Menlo Park and San Carlos if you go a bit further north.

Possibly even Saratoga and Los Altos, although this is on a smaller scale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
If you're looking at Menlo Park, you should also consider the Cuesta Park neighborhood in Mountain View. While there's not much going on inside the neighborhood, downtown MV is right on the other side of El Camino Real and the school system in this area is excellent. It should fall neatly within your budget (provided there is inventory), and it will make for an easy commute as well. It sounds like a no-brainer to me.

As an example: 3372 VILLA ROBLEDA Dr, Mountain View, CA 94040 | MLS# 81301826 | Redfin

Thanks so much guys. This is really helpful.

I've heard a lot of things about Los Gatos, and Los Altos - seeing some new cities I haven't heard of on these lists too, so I'll look into them. Everyone says PA is really nice, and good lord - just doing an initial search on redfin made it obvious quick it was not in our budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose