U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-04-2013, 01:42 PM

3 posts, read 2,921 times
Default Where to live San Jose/Pleasanton ?

Hi,

My husband, our 5 month old son and I will be moving to Bay area in April. He will be working in Pleasanton and I will be working in San Jose. We both are new to the Bay area so not sure where should be live so that neither of us face long commute. Also, if we do decide to stay closer to his work in Pleasanton (which might be cheaper, our budget for a 2 bedroom apartment is around $2000), how bad the commute will be for me?

I appreciate your input.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 03:07 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,941,488 times
Based on the factors given, I'd look in Fremont and Milpitas. You may have a hard time finding decent apartments for $2k/month though. You will have more options in Fremont, simply because it's bigger than Milpitas and has more apartments to choose from. Your budget is pretty low though.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:30 PM

Thanks mstnghu2. I will look at these areas. I thought we might be able to get an apartment in Pleasanton around $2000/month but I might be wrong. Do you have any idea about commute from Pleasanton to San Jose?

Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 PM

336 posts, read 283,931 times
San Jose is a big city so it is hard to give an accurate estimate of the commute time. During the 6:30 to 9:00 hours in the mornings it can take and hour and half to over 2 hours depending on where you are driving to. Like people said Fremont is right in the middle and your $2000k budget will get you a nice apartment is Fremont. The commute to plesanton from Fremont will be a breeze because it is going in to opposite direction from the commuters so it will be 30 minutes or so. Fremont to San jose is still an hour commute depending on where your job is.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:52 AM

4,931 posts, read 3,945,925 times
I agree that Fremont (particularly the south side and near the hills) and Milpitas would be good choices for your situation.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:03 PM

Thank you everyone!

Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 PM

3 posts, read 1,809 times
I think you have options to try different locations, since your son is very young. But if you plan to settle in, you might want to research the schools before deciding. In that regard, Pleasanton would get my vote. However, the point about the reverse commute is interesting -- you might experiment with living closer to your job in San Jose, because your husband would zip to work (comparatively speaking) going north on 680.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:41 PM

13 posts, read 15,721 times
Pleasanton is much nicer and safer than San Jose.

To get an idea of the commute, go to google, click on maps, type in san jose to get the san jose map, and click on traffic to see real time traffic on your possible route, probably Interstate 680. And do this during your projected time of travel during monday-friday morning and afternoon.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:07 AM

4,931 posts, read 3,945,925 times
Pleasanton is a great city, without a doubt. But, the commute to San Jose, is pretty tough (I commuted to Sunnyvale from Pleasanton a few days a week, for several years). It is a heavy traffic commute that can be brutal if there are accidents, etc

Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,490,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Pleasanton is a great city, without a doubt. But, the commute to San Jose, is pretty tough (I commuted to Sunnyvale from Pleasanton a few days a week, for several years). It is a heavy traffic commute that can be brutal if there are accidents, etc
If you can get away with telecommuting 2-3 days per week, it can be a good deal. You'll have access to the great schools, nice communities and relatively inexpensive (as compared to the Silicon Valley) housing. However, if your boss expects you to be in the city 5 days per week, it probably is not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose