U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 01:59 PM

159 posts, read 245,811 times
Default Best Way to Convince Wife to move out of Bay Area?

There is really no upside to us living in the Bay Area. On a combined income of about 100k, we are basically lower class. Buying a home or having kids is a non-starter. And we aren't getting any younger (both of us are in early 30s). Plus we don't work in the tech industry.

Plus the QOL imo isn't superior enough to justify the price premium over Los Angeles or San Diego (I've lived in both).

I've wanted to move for the last 2-3 years.

But the big snag is my wife. She grew up here and lived here all her life, has family here, etc. She enjoys her job despite the meager pay.

I even asked her the million dollar question: "If you could live in the Bay Area but choose not to have kids, would you do it?" My wife REALLY wants kids, and yet she answered that that would be a tough choice, which goes to show how much she likes it here.

That being said, I can't imagine spending the rest of our lives renting mediocre 1 br apartments and not raising a family and all that stuff that's just not going to happen here in the Bay Area.

So any suggestions for convincing the wife? Divorce is NOT an option, although I may be open to the East Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 02:16 PM

6,769 posts, read 16,476,195 times
My sister is raising her son in Sunnyvale on a single, lower than yours, income in a 1-bedroom apartment. He was born in the apartment with a midwife, and they're still there 5 years later. (They still have the hospital debt, too, but that's a different story.) I know they struggle at times, but they seem happy and the kid is doing great. They have an excellent school system to look forward to as well.

Apartment renters having kids is the reality here, and, I've found, much more the norm than the exception.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
My sister is raising her son in Sunnyvale on a single, lower than yours, income in a 1-bedroom apartment. He was born in the apartment with a midwife, and they're still there 5 years later. (They still have the hospital debt, too, but that's a different story.) I know they struggle at times, but they seem happy and the kid is doing great. They have an excellent school system to look forward to as well.

Apartment renters having kids is the reality here, and, I've found, much more the norm than the exception.
On a side note, if we do end up staying in the Bay Area (probably will because the wife wins all the time anyways), we'll probably move to Sunnyvale. I really like the place.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:29 PM

166 posts, read 99,761 times
Look into where you would be able to get jobs, and where there is affordable housing. Then call a real estate agent in the area, and set up an appointment to see homes you can afford while you are on a romantic weekend there. The real live three bedroom, two bath house with the picket might sway her.

I lived in California my whole life. I knew intellectually that living elsewhere could get me a better quality of life for what I could afford. It took just one house hunting trip in a more affordable area to really bring that point home.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
Look into where you would be able to get jobs, and where there is affordable housing. Then call a real estate agent in the area, and set up an appointment to see homes you can afford while you are on a romantic weekend there. The real live three bedroom, two bath house with the picket might sway her.

I lived in California my whole life. I knew intellectually that living elsewhere could get me a better quality of life for what I could afford. It took just one house hunting trip in a more affordable area to really bring that point home.
Great idea!

Old 02-08-2013, 04:18 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,539,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechoson View Post
There is really no upside to us living in the Bay Area. On a combined income of about 100k, we are basically lower class. Buying a home or having kids is a non-starter. And we aren't getting any younger (both of us are in early 30s). Plus we don't work in the tech industry.

Plus the QOL imo isn't superior enough to justify the price premium over Los Angeles or San Diego (I've lived in both).

I've wanted to move for the last 2-3 years.

But the big snag is my wife. She grew up here and lived here all her life, has family here, etc. She enjoys her job despite the meager pay.

I even asked her the million dollar question: "If you could live in the Bay Area but choose not to have kids, would you do it?" My wife REALLY wants kids, and yet she answered that that would be a tough choice, which goes to show how much she likes it here.

That being said, I can't imagine spending the rest of our lives renting mediocre 1 br apartments and not raising a family and all that stuff that's just not going to happen here in the Bay Area.

So any suggestions for convincing the wife? Divorce is NOT an option, although I may be open to the East Bay.
Pick an area with a similar vibe to the Bay Area but much cheaper (Seattle, Portland, Austin, etc). Show your wife the type of money you'd be making there and the type of house you'd be able to afford. Even plan a trip out there to check out the area. Make sure you factor in regular flights back to the Bay Area into your budget.

My wife and I are going to do a little house exploring when we visit Denver in a couple months. We're not looking into an immediate move, but may consider something like this when our kids reach school age and we'll need to trade up to a larger house. We may consider moving, unless we're able to see significant income gains in the next 3-4 years.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:24 PM

1,076 posts, read 799,816 times
Why don't you simply move out to Livermore or Vacaville? Both are nice places and exurbs to the Bay Area. You'll be able to have kids and stay in the area, both.

Your trade off will be a commute, but it's not that bad.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Why don't you simply move out to Livermore or Vacaville? Both are nice places and exurbs to the Bay Area. You'll be able to have kids and stay in the area, both.
This would actually not be a bad idea, and my wife may be amenable to this.

Our commutes would be absolute murder though, and since neither of us are in the tech industry, don't know if we can arrange telecommuting.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:46 PM

6,805 posts, read 1,213,767 times
Move to the east bay then.

Try roses, then chocolates, then pearls, then diamonds.

In other news I called some friends who work in Burlingame and SF and make about what you do and they seem to be ok, happy and well adjusted.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 2,988 times
As others have mentioned, I think the best way is to actually visit another city and set up a house hunting trip (combining with a vacation). It's important to note that you could likely buy a home and a flight back once per month to the Bay to visit family, and your monthly payment would still be lower than a 1 br apartment here. Having lived in Plano (Dallas), traveled extensively throughout the Southeast, and grown up in WI, I'm having the opposite problem as you. I can't get my wife to like this area even though she loves her job and the scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose