U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-11-2013, 01:50 PM

159 posts, read 187,652 times
Default Are there any areas you can purchase a home without all-cash?

Been slowly checking out the real estate market here in the Bay Area and I've been shocked, to say the least. The prices aren't even the most shocking thing, it's that the only people winning bids seem to be those that are going cash-only.

I see this from 300k 1br condos to 1 million dollar SFHs, from SF down to San Jose. Even in the East Bay.

Is this the case for the Bay Area all around? Is there anywhere that's relatively safe with decent schools where the housing market is more "normal" - you can purchase a home with a normal mortgage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-11-2013, 01:51 PM

7,230 posts, read 3,635,435 times
No.

Unread 02-11-2013, 06:42 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,057,339 times
Just move further away (far further) from the job epicenter PaloAlto, MtView, Sunnyvale and you won't compete with stock option sellers/foreigners.

Unread 02-13-2013, 09:18 AM

4,150 posts, read 2,753,578 times
You just have to move fast, once you find the place you want. Be prepared to offer above asking, if the area is in high demand.

We bought our homes using a large down payment (40%) and made an offer usually within a week of the property hitting the market.

Unread 02-20-2013, 10:22 AM

418 posts, read 452,324 times
It is possible, but you do have to be ready to move fast. It's crazy we're choosing homes with less of a look than you would spend buying a car or a washing machine!!

We were where you were, not that long ago. It may sound corny, but when the right home comes along it will just come together. We were lucky in that we got to take a second look and didn't get into a bidding war.

I do think the more "difficult" your situation, the harder if you do have a multiple offer come along. For example if I was selling a home and many offers came in, I would likely not pick those with more stringent inspection rules and agencies that you know will take longer. But I think with a conventional loan it's totally possible.

I do remember being so disappointed that a house I loved on redfin was sold before I could even look at it. They must have walked in with all cash. I mean it literally closed in a week!

Unread 02-21-2013, 12:34 AM

744 posts, read 1,022,193 times
Anyone with a lick of sense or has a realtor is going to know how hot the market is. Even if you get there fast it's a good bet you will not get it. If I'm selling I'm going to wait a few weeks and more than likely a higher and all cash offer will come in. Even with high prices in the area, it's amazing how many offers are cash.

Unread 02-21-2013, 11:53 AM

287 posts, read 197,946 times
Cash is king. Even if your offer is the same as the cash offer or possible a little higher the seller will usually accept the cash offer over yours. With an all cash offer they seller doesn't have to worry about an inspection or a low appraisal killing the deal like with a financed offer.

Unread 02-21-2013, 04:11 PM

154 posts, read 156,439 times
Its literally a sellers market now. Its been a while now since prices hit rock bottom, now with high rents and historical low interest rates and improving job market/economy, people who were on the fence or werent looking are jumping in. In my honest opinion the best time to buy wouldve been when foreclosures/REO were at their highest peak, despite interest rates not being as low as they are now. Thats when I jumped in, granted there was still some multiple offers, just not as much as now. A hell of alot more choices too. I recently did a refi at todays rates. I feel very fortunate to buy when I did.

Unread 02-21-2013, 09:11 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,057,339 times
Why don't sellers (those who aren't in a hurry) demand nonrefundable deposits for those who want financing?

Unread 02-21-2013, 10:18 PM

1,749 posts, read 811,570 times
Yes, it's possible, but it's a very stressful experience. It took me about 6 months and more offers than I can count; eventually I won against the all cash deals & bidding wars.

Make your offer as clean as you possibly can and be prepared to waive some contingencies or otherwise modify/fast track them. I wasn't cool with waiving the appraisal contingency (many sellers asked in a counter), but I did finally give a 1 month rent back, free. Hated to do it, but it helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose