Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:53 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Its not just the abundance of bars, but it is the quality of women in the bars/clubs. Believe me, I don't love everything about Phoenix/Scottsdale and I'm out here in the Bay Area for a reason. However, I'll have to tell you that the selection was much much better as a single guy in Scottsdale than I've seen anywhere in the Bay Area.

The Silicon Valley just has too skewed a ratio of guys/girls and then the quality of the women here is definitely not up to par. Are there some hotties? Of course. But, if you've been to one of the other locations, you'll definitely notice the dramatic difference. I don't think anywhere in the Silicon Valley has great nightlife. The only place that I would've considered decent is SF and only in areas like the Marina (where its less ghetto than other areas). However, even there, the women in general seemed more stuck up than I saw in Phoenix and while attractive, just not as hot. Also, the quality of the bars/lounges/clubs is just better elsewhere.
Phoenix/Scottsdale isn't exactly in the tech capital of the world. San Jose is, and the is a plethora of dudes who get hired to work here from all over the world. Unfortunately, they're often worked to death, at the expense of having much time left over for anything else, and are busy establishing families anyway. So if that's the demographic businesses are targeting, then they have to hear loud and clear that there's sufficient demand for more fun stuff downtown. Otherwise, it's just a gamble that rarely pays off.
Even so, there's more downtown than many would acknowledge. It just seems too many observers want precisely the bar/club environment they've conjured up in their minds, without trying something new or different. SJ can dish out weird/offbeat, given the numbers of eccentric types in the valley.

Sometimes in the form of an annual festival:
ZERO1 | ZERO1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 12:58 PM

345 posts, read 1,030,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Agreed. If you're going to defend SJ, do so on areas where it excels (job market, climate, innovation, proximity to great locations for weekend getaway, etc).
ding ding ding. I've praised San Jose for all of the above, but as soon as you say it lacks amenities and is somewhat boring you're misinformed or didn't explore parts of the city enough.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:59 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Phoenix/Scottsdale isn't exactly in the tech capital of the world. San Jose is, and the is a plethora of dudes who get hired to work here from all over the world. Unfortunately, they're often worked to death, at the expense of having much time left over for anything else, and are busy establishing families anyway. So if that's the demographic businesses are targeting, then they have to hear loud and clear that there's sufficient demand for more fun stuff downtown. Otherwise, it's just a gamble that rarely pays off.
Even so, there's more downtown than many would acknowledge. It just seems too many observers want precisely the bar/club environment they've conjured up in their minds, without trying something new or different. SJ can dish out weird/offbeat, given the numbers of eccentric types in the valley.

Sometimes in the form of an annual festival:
ZERO1 | ZERO1
I don't think anyone is arguing that there's nothing in downtown SJ. I've been to a few of the restaurants which I thought were pretty good. I've been to the tech museum, which is cool and a couple of the lounge areas. They all seemed decent, but they're not going to blow your socks off in terms of cool factor. Now, I'm a bit too old (and married) for the club scene, but I did go a couple times in my single days and remembered the clubs being sort of ghetto. Perhaps that's changed, I don't know. Of course, you also have the ghetto element in SF, unless you're hanging out in the Marina, where I think its more the bar vs club scene.

The bottom line is that SJ has these amenities, but certainly not at a level/caliber of what you'd expect for a city of 1 million and a much larger metropolitan area. Your comment about the tech hub is a factor to this, along with SF nearby, pulling away some nightlife (although, I don't even think SF is that great for nightlife).

Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 AM

865 posts, read 1,827,669 times
Maybe it's the make up of those '1 million people' that is not causing the demand for what you (apparently single men) are looking for? I don't blame you, I wouldn't want to be a single guy here, either. But I would imagine many of the 1 million who are here come as intact families, are those who were raised here and thus already have a large social circle, those coming from other countries who go home to find mates and bring them back, those who are just so geeky they're not interesting in finding women out in the "real world." Those of us who fall into these other categories aren't finding SJ to be lacking in the same things you are.

Though what I wouldn't give for a Jewish Deli...seriously, not ONE in the entire SV? OMG.

Santana Row is nice, like I think other organically-created little downtowns are nice: walking, shopping, pushing a baby stroller, eating, killing time, hanging out and talking or people-watching. It's not going to cure all that ails your life. Would one with a nice history be better? Sure. But they had to start somewhere. And we certainly could use more revenue in SJ. At least it's not another 1980s strip mall.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
Those of us who fall into these other categories aren't finding SJ to be lacking in the same things you are.

Though what I wouldn't give for a Jewish Deli...seriously, not ONE in the entire SV? OMG.
Well, here's the dilemma. There are LOTS of high paying jobs in the Silicon Valley and it is going to continue to attract a lot of educated professionals. People work like dogs here, which may be another contributor to the inferior social scene. However, there is a reason why so many younger professionals choose to live in the city and commute down here. All you have to do is drive on 101 and see tons of Apple or Google buses whizzing by.

To your comment on the Jewish Deli, there is Max's in Palo Alto, but I wouldn't consider that an amazing place. I honestly have not found a great deli anywhere in the Bay Area, certainly not on par with LA/NYC.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:39 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
ding ding ding. I've praised San Jose for all of the above, but as soon as you say it lacks amenities and is somewhat boring you're misinformed or didn't explore parts of the city enough.
The whole point was that you have no credibility on "boring" when you shop at Walmart and eat fast food.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:04 AM

345 posts, read 1,030,977 times
Where did I say I eat fast food? lol almost never do. And Target > Walmart.

San Jose isn't boring cause it lacks these things, it goes far deeper then that.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:05 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Just remember, there are no boring places, only boring people.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 PM

214 posts, read 1,084,195 times
The guy has never even been downtown (he watched "some videos on youtube and decided it wasn't for him") and thinks he is an expert on the area.

How old are you Billy? You seem like you are in your late teens/early twenties. In that case, explore the world and find the right place for you. If Scottsdale makes you happy, then enjoy it! But to say that SJ is lacking in amenities in a general sense is really shortsighted.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:55 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,719 times
As someone who just moved to the area, I think the whole thing boils down to the fact that SJ / Silicon Valley is a giant suburb. End of story. Yes - I know SJ has a downtown - but it just isn't a "real" downtown the likes of major cities, or even SF.

That said, there's a lot to like about the area and there's actually quite a bit to do. Most of it though is outdoor stuff, festivals, and the like. There are also some decent restaurants. But night life is lacking a bit.

Socially it is difficult for someone like me. I find that extreme extroverts can make friends anywhere. Extreme introverts, which includes a chunk of the tech community (certainly not all, or even most, but a decent number) are OK with less social contact. This area is hard for people like me who are in the middle - I've found it difficult to meet anyone at all outside of work. I am single, new to the area, don't know a soul here (no built in social circle), and have medium social skills. This area is pretty harsh for people like me, at least so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose