Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,438,320 times

Advertisements

I've been in 'Willow Glen' for 16 years now and it keeps getting better. If there is any place that I would encourage anyone to settle down and retire, it would be in historic Willow Glen neighborhood. The reason I like it is for the all the fine restaurants and easy access to get everywhere. And don't forget the fishing, especially over at Half Moon Bay. I recently sold my nephew my boat and is starting a charter fishing service this spring there. I will be helping him get started so I am looking forward to it. But the only beef I have is with the Mercury News. That paper is slacking. They need to start updating their fishing reports more often. Whoever is in charge of getting the fishing reports to publish in should be fired. Terrible reporting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 12:20 PM

159 posts, read 646,381 times
Something fishy about this post...

Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Yes, Willow Glen is nice. But you can't fish there, and Half Moon Bay is probably an hour from WG in light traffic.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:12 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Willow Glen is a great area. If I moved there, I would probably have to either buy a condo without any "bells and whistles" or rent an apartment on the neighborhood's outskirts. I am sure home prices are out of reach for most at this point. I know some people in San Jose and we occasionally meet at places on/near charming Lincoln Avenue for a meal such as Willow Street Pizza, etc. Then we will walk along Lincoln for awhile, too. It is easily the best San Jose neighborhood within six miles of downtown. Second place is not even close.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Willow Glen is a great area. If I moved there, I would probably have to either buy a condo without any "bells and whistles" or rent an apartment on the neighborhood's outskirts. I am sure home prices are out of reach for most at this point. I know some people in San Jose and we occasionally meet at places on/near charming Lincoln Avenue for a meal such as Willow Street Pizza, etc. Then we will walk along Lincoln for awhile, too. It is easily the best San Jose neighborhood within six miles of downtown. Second place is not even close.
And the great thing about that is, is that one can trade the lack of fishing there for Yuki Sushi.
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...San+Jose%2C+CA

Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 AM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Willow Glen is one of the most quaint neighborhoods in San Jose. I love it also.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,711 times
I'm actually going to a restaurant there, "The Table" for Valentine's Day. I actually like Willow Glen, it is a little smaller than I would like, but the neighborhood is really nice, though you will have to spend a lot of money to live in the historic Willow Glen area. So I would imagine it would be out of budget for a lot of people retiring.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:53 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I'm actually going to a restaurant there, "The Table" for Valentine's Day.
That's Jim Stump's new place (where the coin shop used to be), and is supposed to be the hot new restaurant to go to in WG. Apparently, the Vieux Carre is the latest great creation there:
Cocktail Chronicles: Vieux Carre at the Table in San Jose - San Jose Mercury News

The new Lou's Village across the street ain't no slouch, either:

Old 02-15-2013, 02:17 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,438,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
That's Jim Stump's new place (where the coin shop used to be), and is supposed to be the hot new restaurant to go to in WG. Apparently, the Vieux Carre is the latest great creation there:
Cocktail Chronicles: Vieux Carre at the Table in San Jose - San Jose Mercury News

The new Lou's Village across the street ain't no slouch, either:
Now that looks like a place to go to on my next dining excursion. Thanks for posting that.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:49 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
"I've been in 'Willow Glen' for 16 years now and it keeps getting better"...

ya shoulda seen it in the 50's and 60's....when you could safely ride a bike from WG to Club Almaden for a day at the pool. And buy fresh farm produce ...from the farmer... within 10 minutes of WG...or find the closest orchard, climb a tree and stuff your face with Cherries, Apricots, Plums...within 3 blocks of home. Mom's could let their Kindergarten kids walk to Lincoln Glen, Willow Glen, River Glen schools without worry...You could get a quart of Ravs at the deli on Lincoln Ave for a couple of bucks...gawd I can still smell that deli...
And the Garden Theater in WG for Saturday Matinees with Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Flash Gordon...cost $.25 to get in if I remember correctly. There were no Malls... you put a 10 cent token in the city bus and rode it downtown for a day of safe shopping. You could go to Alum Rock Park for a safe picnic on the weekend, maybe swim in the Plunge...You could go to SJ Speedway on Tully Rd to watch the Hardtop Races on Saturday night...

Willow Glen was really something special then...

Regards
Gemstone1

Last edited by gemstone1; 02-16-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose