Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:59 AM

6 posts, read 7,274 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the feedback. I have not been given the official offer letter yet, but I am assuming I am going to be looking at $1,200 -$1,500 for rent a month. I have no issue with trying to find people in need of a roommate in the city so I may opt for that route. After reading some feedback, I am thinking San Fran, San Jose, or Santa Cruz will be my choices. However I would be content with a location just outside of San Fran where I could take a train in as well if anyone has suggestions. A long commute is not a huge issue for me. I currently do an hour to and over an hour from work so I will already be accustomed. It is more important to me that I can see what there is to see while I am out there. I will be working on a construction project for Apple so taking the public transportation may also be an option. I will be flying out in May for my official look at the project and the set-up. I really appreciate the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 06:03 AM

6 posts, read 7,274 times
Thanks for the advice. You make a great point about "being the only place to live at this age". Spending a little more money and commuting further are worth it to me in my mind if it means I can get the most out of my experience there. At the completion of the project I will be returning back to the East Coast office. I still have some time to decide, but I am thinking either San Fran or Santa Cruz. How is Santa Cruz as a city?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob376 View Post
I will be working on a construction project for Apple so taking the public transportation may also be an option. I will be flying out in May for my official look at the project and the set-up. I really appreciate the help!
I'm guessing you're working on their new headquarters construction? Sounds great! Do have a look for the feel of the area, that will help you. Good luck!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:47 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,463 times
Don't live in Santa Cruz, you're stuck taking a small two-lane windy road through the mountains each way.
Highway 17 closes due to accidents multiple times each week.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times
If you have access to the shuttle, go with SF. Forget Santa Cruz, it's overrated and isolated.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Don't live in Santa Cruz, you're stuck taking a small two-lane windy road through the mountains each way.
Highway 17 closes due to accidents multiple times each week.
That's a bit of an exaggeration, but if there is a bad accident on 17, you are stuck taking the goat-path Hwy 9 for endless miles.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:25 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
In your situation, I would definitely suggest San Francisco. I lived for 3 years right in downtown Los Gatos and it is a great place but probably not what you are looking for. I worked in Santa Cruz and I definitely do NOT recommend living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose