Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 07:28 AM

14 posts, read 27,111 times

Advertisements

Middle-aged couple, no children - just small dogs. Homebodies with quiet habits we live "in the country" (currently 20+ wooded acres in upstate NY) and would be content to continue doing so -but- hubby's seriously considering a position in San Jose proper.
Therefore, we may shortly be looking to lease a small house (preferably w/land) but have no knowledge of areas where it would be best to search.
Willing to pay extra for our pets & privacy.
Does this exist?
Would so very much appreciate any suggestions - where to search and/or resources who might assist in a east coast to west coast relocation?
Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 08:18 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
Not "near" San Jose....that land was gobbled up decades ago. Wait, I did find this one: on Monterey Hiway....Santa Cruz mountains maybe ? What ever you do, bring your checkbook....it won't be what you are used to in upstate NY with the exception of property taxes. Your best bet is a Real Estate agent.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-02-2013, 08:59 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
That place on Monterey is land for sale that can be made into a mobile-home park.. not really what they're looking for.

Gilroy still has a lot of hobby farms and horse properties, the area all along New Ave. Love it there, because it's one of the last unpretentious rural areas around. It's got good access to services as well.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:17 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,506 times
Maybe look south of Almaden Valley along McKean Road. The development pattern changes from fully suburban to fully rural as you cross Harry Road. Also check the Santa Cruz mountains, and the hills east of San Jose.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
That place on Monterey is land for sale that can be made into a mobile-home park.. not really what they're looking for.

Gilroy still has a lot of hobby farms and horse properties, the area all along New Ave. Love it there, because it's one of the last unpretentious rural areas around. It's got good access to services as well.
Dear Gemstone:

Thank you for the tip that proximity is probably not possible Yes, my initial research has given me a bit of sticker shock when compared to current location but frankly, not unexpected.
I would be very happy to work with a real estate broker but had inferred from parsing some threads that Realtors are not permitted to charge a fee for locating rentals (is that true) and therefore there are few to none who provide the service. Does anyone know/recommend any? (am I permitted to ask this?)
Life is compromise, yes so a longer commute when weighed against a "home" where we are comfortable and happy is worth considering.

Thank you.

Last edited by Tinker22; 03-02-2013 at 12:31 PM..

Old 03-02-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post

Dear Sonarrat;

Gilroy, you say?
A hobby or horse farm would be heaven for an avid gardener tho we probably will not have horses again no matter that we dearly miss them .

Many thanks for the direction and the ray of hope.

T22

Old 03-02-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
Maybe look south of Almaden Valley along McKean Road. The development pattern changes from fully suburban to fully rural as you cross Harry Road. Also check the Santa Cruz mountains, and the hills east of San Jose.
jbunnIII

Thank you.
Being totally without compass when it comes to this destination this information is so helpful.
Have to admit I was a bit discouraged after my initial foray but posts have given me some direction and a bit of hope.

Thank you for your kindness.

T22

Old 03-02-2013, 12:32 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
I second Gilroy or even further out around Watsonville maybe. Gonna be a long commute though for hubby.

You have to like the smell of garlic though.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
I second Gilroy or even further out around Watsonville maybe. Gonna be a long commute though for hubby.

You have to like the smell of garlic though.
Thank you, Senno:

Gilroy has been seconded! (Quick look @ Trulia.com had two widely disparate hits)
Will look to Watsonville.
The price of fuel and the "human" cost in time etc. is a bit worrying.
As for the ambiance...we are both lovers of "the stinkin' rose."

T22

Old 03-02-2013, 12:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
All depends on where in the valley he will be working...

I have friends in the Santa Cruz Mountains and they absolutely love living in remote areas deep in the redwoods... they are so far remote that they live off grid as do their neighbors... yet, as the crow flies I doubt they are 20 miles away.

Might do some Craigslist surfing... this is how my friends found their slice of heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose