Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:48 PM

30 posts, read 123,153 times

Advertisements

We recently relocated to the Bay Area from the east coast due to my wife's job, which is located in Palo Alto.

We have a 16 month old like you, and also a 3 year old.

We ended up renting a house in Campbell, in the general area of the Dry Creek Road / Leigh Avenue intersection. We are absolutely loving it, and my wife's commute to Palo Alto is infinitely better than her coworkers coming from Milpitas, and sometimes better than those coming from closer areas like Sunnyvale/Mountain View, as she avoids 85 and/or 101, using 280 instead (much less traffic than the first two, both by our observation and the advice of locals).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 04:14 PM

8 posts, read 18,095 times
Thank you everybody for the great responses. We were in the bay area for 4 days and checked out a ton of places... I think Fremont or Union City or North-west San Jose will probably be it for us. We found the new development in north San Jose/Milpitas border which was awesome..but was pretty pricey ($2600 for a 2 bedroom).

Now, I hear a lot about the Mission San Jose school district in Fremont. Which areas of Fremont should we be renting in if we need to come under that school district? Also heard about Monta Vista and Lynbrook districts. Any insights would be much appreciated!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalklear View Post
Now, I hear a lot about the Mission San Jose school district in Fremont. Which areas of Fremont should we be renting in if we need to come under that school district? Also heard about Monta Vista and Lynbrook districts. Any insights would be much appreciated!
There is no separate MSJ school district in Fremont, you are probably referring to Mission San Jose High School in Fremont. All schools there are under the Fremont Unified School District (meaning a district serving grades K-12). I would advise you to check their boundaries for attendance at their website.

Monta Vista and Lynbrook are two high schools in the Fremont Union High School District (not in the city of Fremont) which serves some communities in Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Saratoga, and west San Jose. They are known to be high achieving and very academically competitive. And both are also about 70% Asian (high socioeconomic level) --- similar to MSJ High in Fremont --- heck, I've refered to Mission San Jose as "Cupertino East".

Old 03-13-2013, 03:11 PM

OK, so I will probably sound like a total dumb chick, but since I didn't grow up here, I have a question about the school stuff. When someone says "xyz city has good schools," I thought they meant that the xyz city has good elementary, middle, and high schools. But it looks like that reference is only to high schools?? I say that because I realized that the Mission San Jose is actually a high school (thanks to silverkris above). Then, what about the elementary and middle schools? Do they count towards the whole "good school" thing. Would one start off attending Ardenwood elementary school, then some junior high school, and then try for Mission San Jose?

Please help as I am totally clueless about this stuff...

Old 03-13-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
OK, so I will probably sound like a total dumb chick, but since I didn't grow up here, I have a question about the school stuff. When someone says "xyz city has good schools," I thought they meant that the xyz city has good elementary, middle, and high schools. But it looks like that reference is only to high schools?? I say that because I realized that the Mission San Jose is actually a high school (thanks to silverkris above). Then, what about the elementary and middle schools? Do they count towards the whole "good school" thing. Would one start off attending Ardenwood elementary school, then some junior high school, and then try for Mission San Jose?

Please help as I am totally clueless about this stuff...
Not a problem. A school district that is "Unified" means that they have elementary, middle and high schools in it. Such as Fremont Unified (NOT the high school district) or Palo Alto Unified, or San Jose Unified. A school district with "Union" in it would either be a elementary and middle school district (K-8), or a high school district with 2 or more schools in it.

Any place can have good schools - and it can refer to any elementary, middle and/or high. Sometimes a neighborhood might have a really high API elementary school but will feed into a middle or high school with somewhat lower API scores, which is totally normal, whether in the district or in another district. Don't take the real estate agents' word for it (in fact they always tell you to verify with the school district on homes that feed into certain schools).

As for Fremont Unified, Ardenwood may or may not feed into Hopkins Jr. High, and then MSJ High. This may depend on the neighborhood. Is is also possible for a students who attend an elementary school to go to more than one middle school/jr. high, and/or more than one high school, depending on the attendance boundaries.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:30 AM

Wow.. super helpful. Thanks silverkris!

Old 03-15-2013, 02:30 PM

Oh, I just found a link on Wiki to the Fremont Unified Elementary Schools, including which junior high and high schools they feed into:

List of Fremont Unified School District elementary schools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-15-2013, 06:24 PM

42 posts, read 75,707 times
For any address, you should always check which elementary, middle school, and high school that would be your neighborhood school. Use the web sites of the school districts and nowhere else. This is normally not a problem where you are much closer to one school than any other though.

For Mission High School, there were a lot of parents complaining when they changed the boundaries of the addresses that would go to that high school. This happened a few years ago.

I realize that Fremont Unified may be different than where I live. In our area elementary schools may feed into middle schools which may feed into high school. Our address is near the boundary with another school district. Consequently the neighborhood area for our elementary school doesn't have enough students to fill the school. We were designated an overflow school which means students from throughout our elementary / middle school district could choose to go there instead of the local school. When it came time to go to middle school, students from our elementary school ended up all 3 middle schools depending on their address and children in the middle school ended up in different high schools.

Our school district is in a settled area but there has been a gradual increase of residential housing units. As the area has aged, they started closing some elementary schools because of a decline in students so there have been boundary changes as schools have closed. They have zoned land that Hitachi now owns for 3000 residential units. The school district has 11800 students for kindergarten through 8th. There are no schools planned to be added but an additional students from 3000 residential units will probably have a large impact on school boundaries from what they currently are.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:38 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times
Quote:
... So, is Fremont pretty much the only city from my list at the top where I can get the most "bang for the buck" in terms of the house size, price per square feet (rent, of course), good elementary school, and ease and quickness of commute to Palo Alto?...
Rental rates (and home prices) are impacted by the quality of the schools. Some people bite the bullet and live in a less expensive area and send their kids to private school. There are many excellent private schools in the area.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 PM

36 posts, read 86,648 times
Fremont mission is the best area for all good schools, though there are other good elementary schools ... Mission is also costliest so your bang for buck wont be there .. but will be there in other areas including ardenwood. Fremont itself is the best city to be in. Milpitas is great ... just that most of Miliptas and south tip of fremont (warm springs) often gets a lot of smell from the dixon landing dump ... Milpitas gets a lot of bad smell from the sewage treatment plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose