Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:23 AM

8 posts, read 18,088 times

Advertisements

So, our move didn't happen this year as planned, because my husband's offer fell through in the last minute. He is getting more feelers this month and we are yet again looking to move in the coming months (if all works out!). So, I'm back in the game of trying to find areas that are affordable. I read an article today that said that housing prices in the San Pablo area are still about 50% lower than their peak in 2007. This sounds great from a buying/renting perspective, but I know there's always a catch. What's the catch? Is it an impossible commute to go to the Palo Alto area from San Pablo? How about if the job is in SF and not Palo Alto? Does that make a difference? May be a more appropriate question would be to ask if there is any work location that will actually be amenable to commuting from the San Pablo area.. Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:21 AM

8 posts, read 18,088 times
OK, so, never mind. After some additional digging, I figured out why San Pablo was so cheap.... there seems to be a high crime rate in that area... Never mind my earlier question. But, still, it's good to get back on these forums

As an aside, cousins who live in the bay area have been telling me that the housing market there is in another bubble, which is sure to burst in the coming year or two (apparently, especially when the Chinese buyers stop buying) ... any thoughts on this?

Old 12-30-2013, 12:42 PM

297 posts, read 765,380 times
As far as speculation of a bubble, I'm not sure that's the case. The job market is good and there are a lot of people trying to buy property, there has been pent up demand for years. I can see things cooling off, but not necessarily going down. For example instead of 20 bids on a house, maybe it will go down to a few. Unless the job market tanks, I just can't see prices going down-some places they are still below what they were during the big bubble.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:33 PM

115 posts, read 336,702 times
I also don't see the prices go down drastically in the coming years. You really have to factor in the price of living into your considerations of moving here. You can use the cost of living calculators to at least get an idea of how much more you have to pay.

Let's say you currently have an income of X$ and the cost of living calculator shows you a 40% higher cost of living here then I wouldn't move here unless your new income is at least X + 40%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose