Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:12 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,750,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
How about spending the winter in Phoenix and the summer in Portland? I think that would do it.
That is not practical for the vast majority of people. I have lived in both Phoenix and Portland. I will take California any time of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 10:45 AM

4,307 posts, read 6,226,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
That is not practical for the vast majority of people. I have lived in both Phoenix and Portland. I will take California any time of the year.
Practicality is relative. If you're living in the Bay Area, where you need to pay well into the 7 figures to buy a house, other options may be needed.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:44 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,581,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yep - they don't call it the "sunshine tax" for nothing.
Only place that exists is San Diego and South Florida alive and well in both locations but not in the South Bay jobs actually pay better

Old 08-02-2013, 09:54 PM

4,307 posts, read 6,226,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Only place that exists is San Diego and South Florida alive and well in both locations but not in the South Bay jobs actually pay better
Probably exists in Hawaii as well

Old 08-02-2013, 10:10 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,535,032 times
The sunshine tax is far down the list of reasons regarding why California is so expensive; start with horrendous zoning restrictions, no-growth and/or slow growth policies and a stranglehold on everybody in Sacramento by environmental zealots which have been in effect since Brown's first stint as Governor, and there you have it.

Obviously the fact that 3,500,000+ folks have left the state over the past two decades according to Joel Kotkin, and have fled to other states to escape our sky-high tax rates and anti middle class nanny-state job-creation killing overlords in Sacramento who've helped to create a worsening shortage of children which will devastate the state's economy and cash flow within the next 20-30 years according to numerous studies, including one done at USC by the Lucile Packard (widow of former HP co-founder David Packard) Foundation isn't going to be good for the rest of us who are still here.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:49 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,455,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Most of Texas, but not all. El Paso is in west Texas and is a desert climate with low humidity...it's actually not a bad climate, overall. I hear that despite being a border town, it also has pretty low crime. I don't think I'd want to live there, but I suspect it's one of those places that is nicer than most people would assume.
And is at higher elevation than the other major Texas cities.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:40 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,581,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Probably exists in Hawaii as well
Dunno, those Hawaii Five O guys looks like they are doing well for themselves on a cop salary, of course that's pure Hollywood:

Old 08-03-2013, 04:19 PM

30,854 posts, read 36,742,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The sunshine tax is far down the list of reasons regarding why California is so expensive; start with horrendous zoning restrictions, no-growth and/or slow growth policies and a stranglehold on everybody in Sacramento by environmental zealots which have been in effect since Brown's first stint as Governor, and there you have it.

Obviously the fact that 3,500,000+ folks have left the state over the past two decades according to Joel Kotkin, and have fled to other states to escape our sky-high tax rates and anti middle class nanny-state job-creation killing overlords in Sacramento who've helped to create a worsening shortage of children which will devastate the state's economy and cash flow within the next 20-30 years according to numerous studies, including one done at USC by the Lucile Packard (widow of former HP co-founder David Packard) Foundation isn't going to be good for the rest of us who are still here.
Well stated. And before anyone starts throwing out the "right wing nut job" accusations, Joel Kotkin is a Democrat. I don't know much about the Packard Foundation, but I suspect they are not a far right organization, either.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:45 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,750,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post

The sunshine tax definitely exists in San Diego. However you are very accurate in your assessment of the other problems with California.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:56 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,845,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Well stated. And before anyone starts throwing out the "right wing nut job" accusations, Joel Kotkin is a Democrat. I don't know much about the Packard Foundation, but I suspect they are not a far right organization, either.
I don't know who's right and who's left, but if people want to move out of California, it's all good. No biggie to most of us here, who hardly notices any one leaving or coming...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose