Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 03:50 PM

765 posts, read 2,440,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You don't fit with any of them?
Some, just not the foodies, wine aficionados, techies, granola crunchers, and liberals.

One of the tough things of living in the bay area is the proximity to friends. It's not easy to get together with people who are commuters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 03:57 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
One of the tough things of living in the bay area is the proximity to friends. It's not easy to get together with people who are commuters.
This part is very true. People in the Bay tend to be scattered around and the distance means you always seem to be driving 45 min to an hour to visit with people.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:07 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,660 times
Quote:
Some, just not the foodies, wine aficionados, techies, granola crunchers, and liberals.
Agreed! Everyone around this area is a "foodie" and a "wine connoisseur". Everyone talks about their "foodie-ness" and "wine-experti-ness" as if it's a freakin job. *Face palm*

Old 04-22-2013, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Agreed! Everyone around this area is a "foodie" and a "wine connoisseur". Everyone talks about their "foodie-ness" and "wine-experti-ness" as if it's a freakin job. *Face palm*
Uggh, don't I know it. They had a "Willow Glen Wine Walk" last Saturday that I didn't know about. As a result, my favorite restaurant was jammed and I drove home instead of waiting in line and eating in a noisy, crowded, place .

Old 04-22-2013, 01:27 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Let's see.

Foody -- check
Techie -- check
granola cruncher -- check (I think)
Liberal -- check.

It's official then, we're never gonna be friends!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:12 AM

765 posts, read 2,440,764 times
Quote:
Let's see.

Foody -- check
Techie -- check
granola cruncher -- check (I think)
Liberal -- check.

It's official then, we're never gonna be friends!
I guess not

It's tough being the "dumb" one in a place where everyone is spouting off their knowledge and how much smarter they are than you. Whoops, I forgot to add all the Stanford grads to my list too.....

DH was actually LAUGHED at (in the workplace) for saying we went out to Red Robin for a burger. And wine is just BORING - everyone swirling and sticking their noses in their glasses -the wine is simply a more acceptable excuse for excessive drinking (imo).

Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
DH was actually LAUGHED at (in the workplace) for saying we went out to Red Robin for a burger.
That's really too bad. I tend to think SJ is much less snobbish about that stuff than places like SF. I have never had an issue like that here...but our workplaces are probably different.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:32 PM

264 posts, read 831,426 times
I think a lot of people look down on chain restaurants here--especially since there are sooo many other unique options (which taste much better in most cases!)... So I guess many are rather elitist about food in the bay area...including buying almost everything organic problem is looking at others **** eyed who don't subscribe to the organic / best-of-the-best restaurant way of living. Initially when someone says they stopped at mcdonalds (red lobster, olive garden, etc) I will think to myself...why would you want to go there? Perhaps i do pass judgment. And as for me and maybe others, it doesn't make sense to go to red lobster when you could drive the same distance and eat fresh seafood from a great local restaurant. I still get around to chevy's, in and out, and a couple other chains, but do avoid most because there are just such better options.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:35 PM

310 posts, read 686,976 times
I never heard of San Jose being a restaurant destination. Yelp reviews generally read: "This place used to be good but, with the change of chef/management, the quality has declined, the service is lousy and it's way overpriced!" I wish that I knew better places around here.

S.F. is a different story.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:01 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,660 times
Why do we always mention SF in San Jose forum....

And I do agree, it's not a great restaurant destination for general cuisine, but for a few ethnic cuisines, it would be tops, especially Vietnamese.

I took my parents out to Slanted Doors in SF many years ago. Needless to say, after the visit, I was banned from picking Vietnamese restaurants to go out to In fact, that ban is still on. Whenever I mention some new Vietnamese restaurants, either in SJ or anywhere else, they would look at each other, say "Slan Do" (accent), and then proceed to laugh in my face

Parents can be so cruel sometimes...

Last edited by bobby_guz_man; 04-22-2013 at 06:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose