Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 05:36 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

I think combating NIMBY environmentalists, reducing red tape, and increasing density wherever feasible is the best way to go,
Some of those NIMBY's have a point, concerning the carrying capacity of our freeways and surface streets for all these additional people. There have been a number of developments throughout the valley in the last decade that apparently got a pass on the "don't cause gridlock" mitigations part of the EIR (Yeah, YOU, Satanic Row/Valley Fair). We await what the traffic situation will be in the North First St. area as so many dense housing developments go up. They're not all near the Light Rail, and most of those people probably won't use it anyway - too slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 06:35 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,660 times
^^ Santana Row/Valley Fair causes gridlock, but that's a good thing. That means it's popular, nothing wrong with that. Locals who live in the area knows how to avoid it anyway, or taking Moorpark to go around the Row and head north on Winchester to the garage instead of sitting in Stevens Creek traffic.

And the traffic isn't even remotely bad compared to the daily work commute that we all do around here.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
^^ Santana Row/Valley Fair causes gridlock, but that's a good thing. That means it's popular, nothing wrong with that.
It very much attracts a whole swarm of plastic people who don't know how to drive . Not only clogs up the roads, but endangers us locals. Once upon a time, going to the Safeway or BofA was actually doable.

But it ain't enough. Now they're adding 110 luxury houses next to all this on Winchester:
SummerHill Homes | Midtown Village | New Single Family Homes for Sale in Santa Clara CA

Too bad. I was rooting for these guys:
SaveBAREC.org - Keep Public Land Public!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
^^ Santana Row/Valley Fair causes gridlock, but that's a good thing. That means it's popular, nothing wrong with that. Locals who live in the area knows how to avoid it anyway, or taking Moorpark to go around the Row and head north on Winchester to the garage instead of sitting in Stevens Creek traffic.

And the traffic isn't even remotely bad compared to the daily work commute that we all do around here.
This I'll second. The good outweighs the bad, in my opinion...while coming in from 880 is a mess, I've never had a problem using San Carlos or Stevens Creek, even during the holidays.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
It very much attracts a whole swarm of plastic people who don't know how to drive . Not only clogs up the roads, but endangers us locals. Once upon a time, going to the Safeway or BofA was actually doable.

But it ain't enough. Now they're adding 110 luxury houses next to all this on Winchester:
SummerHill Homes | Midtown Village | New Single Family Homes for Sale in Santa Clara CA

Too bad. I was rooting for these guys:
SaveBAREC.org - Keep Public Land Public!
Oh c'mon, it's not THAT bad Going to Safeway is still VERY doable, just gotta do a loop around Forest and pop out back on Bascom

The only people who bugs me are the folks who go to Santana Row and complain incessantly about lack of parking space. I'm like, "uh..the garage has FIVE floors, have you tried the 4th and the 5th?" Their answer: "NOOOOO...I want to park on the 2nd and 3rd, even if I have to walk the whole length of the garage floor to get to the elevator. And nooooo...I don't want to park on 4th and 5th even if it's near the elevator and I don't have to walk the whole length of the garage."

*Face palm*

Old 04-11-2013, 01:25 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Some of those NIMBY's have a point, concerning the carrying capacity of our freeways and surface streets for all these additional people. There have been a number of developments throughout the valley in the last decade that apparently got a pass on the "don't cause gridlock" mitigations part of the EIR (Yeah, YOU, Satanic Row/Valley Fair). We await what the traffic situation will be in the North First St. area as so many dense housing developments go up. They're not all near the Light Rail, and most of those people probably won't use it anyway - too slow.
I agree that mass transit sucks. But the NIMBYs should be lobbying for that instead of trying to kill off growth.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree that mass transit sucks. But the NIMBYs should be lobbying for that instead of trying to kill off growth.
Totally agreed.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:49 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
There is one more thing that keeps demand high, is the massive investment cash flowing into the local housing market. The bidding wars and cash buyers are not tech workers with mortgage, but investors who want to put their multimillions into multiple real estate. To stop this new laws would be needed, clever taxation and so on. ..l.
For the life of me, I can't think of a single reason to dissuade investment in anything. I just don't understand your anger against people who invest for the future.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
For the life of me, I can't think of a single reason to dissuade investment in anything. I just don't understand your anger against people who invest for the future.
The reason is that the real estate investment has a very strong negative side effect on other people, through prices going up too much, and then they will not be able to afford a home. In general if you do something that has a very bad negative side effect (but not your direct intention) on others, then is it OK to do it? Lets invest and speculate with food, and then you will find yourself with $1000 grocery bills. Would that be OK? It is very selfish thinking.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
The reason is that the real estate investment has a very strong negative side effect on other people, through prices going up too much, and then they will not be able to afford a home. In general if you do something that has a very bad negative side effect (but not your direct intention) on others, then is it OK to do it? Lets invest and speculate with food, and then you will find yourself with $1000 grocery bills. Would that be OK? It is very selfish thinking.
It's OK if you're rich, but otherwise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose