Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 AM

39 posts, read 57,709 times

Advertisements

Good news we've discussed previously: Centerra, downtown San Jose's newest high-rise: What you need to know - Silicon Valley Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustLoveThis View Post
Apartments.. I hope we don't have to turn into a society of renters.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:34 AM

159 posts, read 646,323 times
I think also as far as new homes go, there's been a lag because of the economic downturn. When I first moved to this area in 2009, I was considering buying then (still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger, now I may be priced out forever), and I remember there were quite a bit of new condo developments. Just off the top of my head, I remember the 4 skyscrapers in downtown SJ, Plant 51, some KB development at the old cannery site, the Villa Fontanas, a development on Winchester, a SFH development in Santa Clara, a Toll Brothers development near Willow Glen, and I know I'm forgetting others. There were all new in the sense that the developers were still trying to sell units, as opposed to resell by owners.

Obviously these projects were all built during the boom times. I think developers were stung by the downturn and stopped greenlighting new projects, and it seems like the stuff being built now are rentals. I'm going to guess if the housing market continues to do well (a big IF in my opinion, esp if mortgage rates go up), then we'll see more new developments in areas that don't quite have as much of the NIMBY factor going on.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:35 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
The problem with SF is the absurdly skewed demand for housing vs. the supply, wherein rowhouses throughout all the outer neighborhoods still aren't enough, leaving the city crowded (relative to, say, the very large lots of suburban San Jose) AND expensive.
Some one thoughtfully disagreed with my position on the size of housing lots in San Jose, so allow me to clarify my above point.

San Jose's typical lot is above 5k, whereas a typical (ie, average) lot in San Francisco is 2500 square feet.

Literally, San Jose could have more than twice as many houses without expanding the urban growth boundary if it had SF's lot size average.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Apartments.. I hope we don't have to turn into a society of renters.
I don't know how the ownership works for apartment complexes. Do the developers sell to a management company? Or do the developers hang on to the complex and rent units out directly?

I ask because I do remember a trend back during the height of the housing boom was to start converting rentals into condos for sale.

If the housing market get really hot, I'm guessing the developers may have the option of converting the rentals into units for sale? So basically they get the best of both worlds?

Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechoson View Post
I don't know how the ownership works for apartment complexes. Do the developers sell to a management company? Or do the developers hang on to the complex and rent units out directly?

I ask because I do remember a trend back during the height of the housing boom was to start converting rentals into condos for sale.

If the housing market get really hot, I'm guessing the developers may have the option of converting the rentals into units for sale? So basically they get the best of both worlds?
I think it depends on who owns it, companies like Essex, or Avalon outright buy entire buildings and manage them. Some companies are willing to do condo conversions, and apartment conversions themselves, but those are the minority. Usually for apartments someone like Sobrato will build it and sell it so someone like Essex. Something like the 360 Residences that was built be be condos originally the buyer may look continuously at yield rates and condo prices to see if they want to do a condo conversion, or put the building in the market to companies that do condo conversions. There are or were companies whose entire job was to buy apartment buildings and convert them to condos. Usually developers will not stick with an asset in the books though and not want to rent them out, so they will sell it to another company that wants to deal with it. Even if developers rent out the units, they will outsource to a major management company.

Both Skyline and 360 Residences were originally built as condos, and some company may wish to buy them in the future and convert them. Usually apartments are priced based on how much rent they can bring in. Condos are not, the condo market can divorce itself from rents wildly so when condo prices rise a lot without rents doing the same you will see a lot of condo conversions, most often you will see this for years 1988-1990 or 2004-2006, since then units would have been valued way higher as condos than apartments in those cases.

Last edited by cardinal2007; 04-24-2013 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: typo, past tense

Old 04-24-2013, 12:12 PM

153 posts, read 269,903 times
Because once these guys make it up the social ladder, they do everything to pull the ladder up because "they got theirs". In other circles, they call this being a NIMBY. That's why no one can build a wood hut in the Bay Area without some "conservation group" yelling at the top of their lungs that more homes are going to ruin the natural spaces of the Bay Area, unless of course it does something to improve property values, or they get paid off big time, then it's build that Walmart on that aquatic bird nesting ground!

I'm so glad I left the Bay Area (sold my Danville home in 1997). The NIMBYs really messed up that place.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:34 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Both Skyline and 360 Residences were originally built as condos, and some company may wish to buy them in the future and convert them. Usually apartments are priced based on how much rent they can bring in. Condos are not, the condo market can divorce itself from rents wildly so when condo prices rise a lot without rents doing the same you will see a lot of condo conversions, most often you will see this for years 1988-1990 or 2004-2006, since they units would be valued way higher as condos than apartments in those cases.
I used to live at 360. I once asked the leasing office if there were any plans to convert back to condos; the answer they gave me was that it was extremely likely within the next 5 years.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Because once these guys make it up the social ladder, they do everything to pull the ladder up because "they got theirs". In other circles, they call this being a NIMBY. That's why no one can build a wood hut in the Bay Area without some "conservation group" yelling at the top of their lungs that more homes are going to ruin the natural spaces of the Bay Area, unless of course it does something to improve property values, or they get paid off big time, then it's build that Walmart on that aquatic bird nesting ground!

I'm so glad I left the Bay Area (sold my Danville home in 1997). The NIMBYs really messed up that place.
I thought OC was just as bad now?

Old 04-24-2013, 03:54 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This doesn't make sense. Prop 13 limits property tax increases on older, long-term residents. It's the new residents that pay higher taxes.
The problem is that new residents soon become long-term residents. So they don't pay their way over the long term. Just because you've been there for 20 years, it doesn't mean it costs any less to pave your street or provide police and fire protection.

Prop 13 limits property taxes to 1% of assessed value initially and limits increases to 2%/year. 1% is already lower than property taxes in many states, and as a result of limited increases, the ratio of property taxes to assessed value is actually only 0.48% on average. This ranks California as 45th out of 50 states in property tax collection - source.

Cities have responded in a number of ways:

1) Keep expanding. You can use the windfall of (temporarily) higher property taxes from all the new homes out on the fringe to pay for your deferred maintenance in the older neighborhoods that aren't paying their way anymore. Except in a few years, the "new" neighborhood will be old, and you'll have to build more sprawl even further out to pay for last decade's sprawl. This strategy has not really been available in most of the Bay Area, but was widely practiced in Sacramento and Central Valley cities.

2) Add "development fees" to make up for lost taxes. In effect this increases development costs, which get past on to potential homebuyers, and in general makes it harder for housing to "pencil." Also increases the attractiveness of strategy 1) by making new sprawl and even bigger bonanza for the general fund.

3) Avoid building housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose