Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,540 times

Advertisements

13. The First Unitarian Church and the Trinity Episcopal Cathedral Church surrounding St. James Park. Both churches are very close to St. Joseph Basillica. When you're in that area, walk down 2nd Street slightly from St James Park and you can check out the Chromatic Coffee Roasteries, housed in a very nice Beaux Arts building.

14. The Five Wounds Portuguese Catholic Church aka "The Pink Church" on Santa Clara Street and 25th/26th Street. I don't think you can get an inside tour--but if you can, it's pretty nice. It's just right outside of to the west of downtown.

15. Mark's Hot Dogs on the corner of Alum Rock Avenue and Capitol Avenue. It's been there since the 1930's and was built with the California Roadside Strip architectural style by Frank Pohl. It's like a step back in time when you're there. It's a Designated Historic Landmark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 12:02 PM

16. The Downtown Main Library, one of the largest west of the Mississippi 8 floors. You can look up the websites to find all the "quirks" built into that Main Library, such as the famous "revolving wall shelves" where you can hide and surprise people. Also, the small Beethoven Museum is on the 5th floor of the library, holds some very cool instruments.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
I forgot about this. Could be up OP's alley.
Of course you forgot *rolls eyes* We all know you hate San Jose, but seriously, if you don't have anything nice to say, then stay out and let the locals help out the OP.

I do agree with everyone that Winchester Mystery House is a dud. We locals roll our eyes whenever anyone out of town ask about that place. The exterior is photo-worthy though.

Saratoga would take OP a full day to go through. OP, if you are still interested in Saratoga, that would be a full day trip. You can visit Villa Montalvo (check their schedules to see which art galleries they're featuring, always free to attend), Hakone Japanese Garden (much better than San Jose's, I'll admit that), Mountain Winery, and Saratoga's own little downtown. It would take you a full day.

I suggest you take two days in the area--one for San Jose, and one for the little town of Saratoga

Old 04-25-2013, 01:43 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Is Saratoga a suburb? Residential place?

Old 04-25-2013, 01:56 PM

345 posts, read 1,030,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Of course you forgot *rolls eyes* We all know you hate San Jose, but seriously, if you don't have anything nice to say, then stay out and let the locals help out the OP.

I do agree with everyone that Winchester Mystery House is a dud. We locals roll our eyes whenever anyone out of town ask about that place. The exterior is photo-worthy though.

Saratoga would take OP a full day to go through. OP, if you are still interested in Saratoga, that would be a full day trip. You can visit Villa Montalvo (check their schedules to see which art galleries they're featuring, always free to attend), Hakone Japanese Garden (much better than San Jose's, I'll admit that), Mountain Winery, and Saratoga's own little downtown. It would take you a full day.

I suggest you take two days in the area--one for San Jose, and one for the little town of Saratoga
Strong unnecessary rudeness. Please re-read my previous post (in entirety) below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
I forgot about this. Could be up OP's alley.

And if visiting Willow Glen; gotta eat at La Villa . Casual Italian deli with sandwiches/pasta etc.
1) I don't hate SJ.

2) I further recommended the Egyptian museum and even a good place to eat in WG.

3) OP showed an interest in photography; and I thought Saratoga could be of interest due to the Japanese gardens/quaint dtown etc. Hence my recommendation.

Last edited by Billy Millennium; 04-25-2013 at 02:15 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 02:53 PM

Billy, seriously...c'mon. Unnecessary rudeness? What is this then?

Quote:
Not much in the way of touristy stuff; not that kinda place. The only true tourist spot I can think of is the Winchester Mystery House. But I wouldn't bother with that.

Since you like taking photos; do some research on neighboring Saratoga.
Look, lately I noticed you toned down your vitriol towards your former residence of San Jose. Thanks. It kinda surprised me actually. But I guess sometimes you just can't leave it well enough alone, can ya?

Old 04-25-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
OP, it's a city in its own right, albeit very tiny. It sits to the Southwest of San Jose, next door to the city of Monte Sereno. But for its tiny size, it does punch far above its weight in terms of worthwhile "touristy" stuffs.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:57 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Yes, and yes, but I think he was getting at the fact that it used to be a really small town at the foothills of the mountains, and still has a little downtown area. Downtown Los Gatos is also nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose