U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 08:25 AM

6 posts, read 13,978 times

Advertisements

Thanks brown_dog_us, do you feel the quality of living in Cupertino would be a lot better than other cities. I was talking to my wife this morning about rethinking our budget and we are going to do that.

I think the important thing for us is that we dont live somewhere and pay more just because of the business advantages. I would rather have the best community and environment for my family. So even if we spend $5k or $6k I would like to figure out where the best family environment would be. We are planning a trip for the week after next to just drive around for a week and learn about the different areas so this is really valuable input!

Thanks guys!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 10:00 AM

12 posts, read 21,624 times
Since you've made it clear that family/kids comes first and that a good community is very important, I would recommend the following areas:

San Ramon/Dublin/Pleasanton/Danville

These suburbs are along the 680 corridor in what's considered the nicest part of the East Bay. Great schools and they should have the type of housing you're looking for. They are reasonably close to Silicon Valley, much closer then Brentwood.

Fremont - Mission San Jose High School district

Mission San Jose High is a super-performing high school and is nationally-ranked (check it out on Wikipedia). Zip code is 94539, but do your research because not all of 94539 is in the Mission attendance area. There is all kinds of different housing in this area, from older small homes to much newer bigger homes.

Fremont, Dublin, and Pleasanton also have BART stations, which is what we call our local subway/metro here. In under an hour, you can be in downtown SF, Oakland, or Berkeley which is great to explore and expose your kids to culture. This could also be potentially useful in your startup business.

And hey, if you can swing it financially, Palo Alto is of course very nice. It's probably the holy grail of Silicon Valley communities . I've also read and heard that Almaden Valley in south San Jose is a great community but don't know much about it, maybe others could chime in on that?

Old 05-16-2013, 10:30 AM

197 posts, read 301,288 times
"5.) Originally I thought we would look in San Jose or Cupertino, so I am wondering (now that I see these arent the best area) what others would recommend"

What in the world are you talking about? This has me so confused. Where are you getting this? Does anyone really think the housing prices in Cupertino and San Jose would be so high if they were bad areas?

Old 05-16-2013, 10:33 AM

On the topic of schools there are great schools in San Jose...Union Schools, Cambrian Schools, Almaden Valley Schools etc. I feel like I am in the twilight zone in this post. Only people who don't really know the area think that the only good schools are in Cupertino etc.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:41 AM

Okay one more thing. Community is what you make of it. People will gush about how Saratoga is such a great community but never mention that late last year a HS student was raped while she was passed out and the boys posted her pics all over the web. Because it's such a "nice" and family oriented area people gloss over that. Or that Palo Alto had a rash of suicides not long ago by several HS students. And FWIW I grew up going through the Cupertino schools and they are good but as far as community there was just as much dysfunction among the families, kids, community as any other area. None of these areas are Mayberry and you can find friends/community anywhere. Moving to a wealthy city with the best schools is no guarantee....I saw enough growing up to figure that out pretty quickly.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:25 AM

9,197 posts, read 14,802,541 times
Almaden, Morgan Hill, or Scott's Valley could fill the bill.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:37 PM

18,669 posts, read 25,943,803 times
I grew up in the east bay area, and the traffic is just horrible. Remember, some of the worst crime in Bay Area is in east Palo Alto. There are pockets of good and bad next to each other.

I've lived in Santa Clara for 9 years now. My daughter is grown, and it's just me. I love it here. I feel really safe, there's lots of stores handy (where if you move out to Saratoga, everything is a drive). I'm only 30 minutes to the beach. I live next to Santa Clara University (which has one of the missions on it) and I feel safe walking the neighborhood any time of day or night. I walk down to the 7-11 a few blocks away at all hours by myself. Never see any scary people loitering.

Excellent police department. They actually show up really quickly and for any stupid reason (I manage an apt bldg and someone actually called them because the postman left the mailboxes open, and they actually came right away and talked to me. This shows how bad crime is, if they have time to do a call like that lol!

Airport's really close, as is San Jose. And of course, the new 49ers stadium is going up in town :-)

Old 05-16-2013, 02:08 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,949,253 times
I think most places in Silicon Valley would be great for families. Really the only thing the far East suburbs get you is cheaper cost. While I am single - personally I think I'd rather raise kids in a more vibrant area with a real economic base rather than a pure bedroom community of tract housing out in Tracy - assuming I could afford it of course! In terms of schools, again, being single, I don't have a lot of input there - but I do know that parts of Los Altos, Saratoga, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Cupertino, Santa Clara, and San Jose all have good schools. That will be more neighborhood specific than city specific.

I also feel like places like Tracy are part of the Bay Area in name only. To a great extent they are basically the Central Valley. Very hot summers, very far from the heart of the Bay in SF and Oakland, and so forth.

I do have one question though - if you are unsure of what you are going to do with your startup, why the focus on the Bay Area? In my mind the main reason people come here and pay all this money is for business. There might be other places that fit your family needs and are VASTLY cheaper to live, and are probably nicer than the far inland burbs. I don't know much about it but I've heard interesting things about San Luis Obispo, for instance.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:45 PM

263 posts, read 765,023 times
I'm assuming you have disposable income beyond your 175k a year? The lifestyle choices in your post ($4000 a month eating out? $8000 a month for rental budget in the Bay Area? spending more on your 2 cars than rent?) are not possible on a 175k income in the Bay Area. That amount does not get you far here...so unless you are eating through your sizable savings, which is not smart IMO, your numbers make no sense--at least for someone living in the Bay Area. Honestly, if you are not willing to downsize and lower your lifestyle expectations (actually cut drastically) it would be a bad move for you and your family.

A move to the Bay Area on your income alone will require some thriftiness. Sorry, I just shudder at some of your last post on pg.1...

Old 05-16-2013, 11:20 PM

47 posts, read 118,399 times
Did you get pricing for private schools? You said you had 4 kids right?

We paid around 11k a year, for just one child. Pretty much the going rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or