Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:03 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,847,628 times

Advertisements

1) Your gf is moving here for school, why do you need to follow? Is it a must?

2) Learn to walk before running. Just rent out a room for a few months, settle in the place, find that EMT job that pays well, save your money, and then after a few months you can go rent a place of your own. Why the rush? Your GF will be here for at least 2 years, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 AM

505 posts, read 366,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgniAvis72 View Post
Hey everyone. Im looking to move up to San Jose in a year coming up from San Diego b/c my girlfriend is transferring over to SJSU. Shes living with her mom but I would like to have a place for her to come and visit and spend time with me.
I'm really looking for a cheap place when i first get to the city (300-500 a month not including food and utilities and stuff. ive prepared for that already), preferably a studio, and i want to be by myself (so no roommates of any kind). While i search for EMT jobs up there and then make a very good living.

If there is anyone out there who has any ideas please let me know I would really appreciate any advice. cheap neighborhoods, safe neighborhoods. everything. Thanks all!

-Rudy
I don't know what you're thinking, but this highly, highly unrealistic.

$300-500, living alone? Studio?

Sorry kid, but it ain't gonna' happen.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:05 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,062,021 times
Maybe people could start using the search function once in a while to answer their own questions. This same question was asked twice just last week.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:48 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Maybe people could start using the search function once in a while to answer their own questions. This same question was asked twice just last week.
Hey, where can I find a $299 studio next to SJSU?

Old 06-03-2013, 06:05 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,429,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure you can even rent a room for $500 these days (forget $300, you couldn't rent a room for that a decade ago), let alone a studio. I paid $580 incl. utilities & my own bathroom for a 10x10 room 8 years ago.
I was paying around $600 for the same 20 years ago on 7th Street about a mile from SJSU. OP, just be prepared for sticker shock.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:49 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,757,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
(forget $300, you couldn't rent a room for that a decade ago)
I remember paying $325/month for a small room in 1992, in South SJ. Would be surprised if you could do it for much less than double that amount today, considering that the consumer price index has nearly doubled since 1992.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 AM

30,860 posts, read 36,771,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I was paying around $600 for the same 20 years ago on 7th Street about a mile from SJSU. OP, just be prepared for sticker shock.
Unless it was a really deluxe place, that sounds like a bit of a rip off...but maybe I was just lucky to get good deals. 16 years ago I was paying less than $500 (utils. included, share bath) for a nice room in Willow Glen.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,708 times
I have a master bedroom with a shower room in my home. Still thinking about renting it. I don't think $800 would dare me to rent it though because some people ask for privacy but don't respect the privacy of the landlord or home owner.
Also, the kitchen situation is something to be discussed. Basically you need an extra fridge for the newcomer and the heat in winter becomes an issue. Sometimes the heat downstairs goes up to the second floor so the house doesn't have a uniform warmth. I have heard cases where the tenant is using a personal heater without telling the home owner so the energy expenses go through the roof. Don't we discuss about the washer and dryer, gee!
I think that to rent a room to a stranger is something you need to think twice. Specially when you have kids.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:11 PM

30,860 posts, read 36,771,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatashell View Post
I have a master bedroom with a shower room in my home. Still thinking about renting it. I don't think $800 would dare me to rent it though because some people ask for privacy but don't respect the privacy of the landlord or home owner.
Also, the kitchen situation is something to be discussed. Basically you need an extra fridge for the newcomer and the heat in winter becomes an issue. Sometimes the heat downstairs goes up to the second floor so the house doesn't have a uniform warmth. I have heard cases where the tenant is using a personal heater without telling the home owner so the energy expenses go through the roof. Don't we discuss about the washer and dryer, gee!
I think that to rent a room to a stranger is something you need to think twice. Specially when you have kids.
I generally think it's a bad idea if you have kids, unless you really know the person well (close friend or relative). But if you don't have kids and are very upfront about expectations, it can work out pretty well. I do think you have to be good at reading people so you can weed out those who are problematic, but nothing is foolproof.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:41 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,033,778 times
A $300 studio in Silicon Valley? Great Scott! Get in and we'll travel back to around 1990!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose