Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 06:14 AM

433 posts, read 405,559 times

Advertisements

I always wondered how in the world can majority of people afford a $1000 to $3000 rent and $5000 to $20000 property tax for regular homes and flats? Even if they can, is it worth it spending 80% to 500% of your income just to have a roof above your head? And what are you doing to stop the greed or the overdevelopment which brings the greed and the unreasonable property taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 09:18 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
Let's hope so. Or another 1989.

Maybe if "The Big One" finally hits, that'll significantly bring down housing prices.....or what's left of them.
It'd probably do the opposite if many homes are destroyed.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:29 AM

677 posts, read 835,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
It'd probably do the opposite if many homes are destroyed.
Not if most people are dead or flee the area as a result.

Housing prices in the area crashed after the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:21 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Well that's what I mean, since this is ultimately going to mean less taxes paid, or in your case, a check from the government every year.
Nice job backpedaling from saying that the loans are "close" to "interest free" to simply saying that you get "a check from the government every year."

Quote:
So after write-offs, how much interest do you pay a month?
Let's see... (pulls out tax returns). In 2015 I paid about $3500 in student loan interest. I wrote off $2500 (maximum allowable) from my income which saved me $525 in taxes (state and federal combined). On a monthly basis, I paid about $291 interest per month and got back about $43 per month, or 15% of interest paid.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:53 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,970 times
Quote:
Not if most people are dead or flee the area as a result.

Housing prices in the area crashed after the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.
I'm not sure how much of that can be attributed to the earthquake. Housing prices crashed in southern California around the same time.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:00 PM

677 posts, read 835,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
I'm not sure how much of that can be attributed to the earthquake. Housing prices crashed in southern California around the same time.
I think the earthquake woke people up and made people realize that they could actually be killed if they continued to live in the area, so many got the heck out. Sure, the economic recession that followed didn't help either.

I think the housing crash in Southern California had more to do with the post-Reagan era defense contractor cutbacks.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:21 AM

96 posts, read 210,762 times
Quote:
I think the housing crash in Southern California had more to do with the post-Reagan era defense contractor cutbacks.
Sadly, aerospace and defense permanently left California, starting in the early 90s. While the media seems to think that Snapchat, "Yo" and Postmates are "technology", the reality is that aerospace is one of the highest paying and most educated industries, where PhDs are very common.

Sorry, but the websites and "apps" are no more "technology" than incandescent lighting, television or indoor plumbing is today--it's just the way the world works now. Despite what people in SV think, knowing JavaScript and being able to configure Hadoop doesn't actually make you a rocket scientist. I honestly know kids in high school that can do that.

But to be fair, Theranos (if its not a scam), Tesla, SpaceX and some of the deep learning startups, are building some great technology. It's just that Silicon Valley has largely lost its way due to the influx of pension, mutual fund and hedge fund money chasing the next Facebook, Uber, Instagram, Groupon and WhatsApp. At least there is one Elon Musk still alive and kicking who can aim high like Gordon Moore did with Intel in the 70s.

Last edited by abqcd; 04-01-2016 at 07:32 AM..

Old 04-03-2016, 01:23 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqcd View Post
Sadly, aerospace and defense permanently left California,
That's not true at all. We have a vibrant aerospace industry in California, especially in southern California. Although Silicon Valley has a lot of space startups as well.

Made in Space comes to mind, the company that made the 3D printer being used on the ISS.

The Space Review: The Silicon Valley of space could be Silicon Valley

Quote:
While the media seems to think that Snapchat, "Yo" and Postmates are "technology",
They are. I don't see how they wouldn't be.

Quote:
Sorry, but the websites and "apps" are no more "technology" than incandescent lighting, television or indoor plumbing is today--it's just the way the world works now. Despite what people in SV think, knowing JavaScript and being able to configure Hadoop doesn't actually make you a rocket scientist. I honestly know kids in high school that can do that.
There are kids in high school who launch rockets, too. I did that in high school.

SJSU refers to their programming degree as Software Engineering, which I think is the correct name for it. A software engineer is still an engineer.

I think "Computer Science" is something of a misnomer. Computers are not part of the natural world, so working with them isn't really science per se. It is engineering.

Quote:
At least there is one Elon Musk still alive and kicking who can aim high like Gordon Moore did with Intel in the 70s.
Well, Intel is still around and still innovating smaller and faster chips, as is AMD.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:18 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
SJSU refers to their programming degree as Software Engineering, which I think is the correct name for it. A software engineer is still an engineer.
Unless "software engineers" take the same required undergrad classes as every other type of engineer (EE, ME, CE, ChemE, etc), like thermodynamics, statics, dynamics, and material science, they aren't engineers. Computer engineering majors, at least where I went to school, were required to take those classes.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:53 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Unless "software engineers" take the same required undergrad classes as every other type of engineer (EE, ME, CE, ChemE, etc), like thermodynamics, statics, dynamics, and material science, they aren't engineers.
Hmm well, to me an engineer is a person who applies math and science to create something. So a software engineer is definitely an engineer.

I don't know what thermodynamics and material science have to do with learning to write software programs, but they do take General Physics:

SJSU Software Engineering

Quote:
Computer engineering majors, at least where I went to school, were required to take those classes.
SJSU has a separate Computer Engineering degree which appears to focus more on hardware. It has classes like Introductory Electrical Engineering Laboratory. So you're probably thinking of that one. Here's their BS in Computer Engineering program:

SJSU Computer Engineering

Here is their BS in Computer Science:

SJSU Computer Science

btw I don't have a degree. I have taken 80+ units at De Anza College. Steve Wozniak went there; it is known in Cupertino, affectionately, as The University of Southern Cupertino. If I end up going into tech it would probably be as a tech vs a programmer. You don't need a degree to do that. In fact I'm better at system administration than a lot of guys who have degrees. I know a few guys with BSCS who don't how to use xcopy, lol. Right now I'm leaning more towards going into the Merchant Marine, but I'm definitely looking for something that pays more than my current job.

Last edited by neutrino78x; 04-03-2016 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose