Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:36 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddowns46 View Post
What am I doing wrong?
You are doing nothing wrong at all. The simple fact is California is the worst state in the nation for young adults and young families just starting out. Highest income tax in the nation. One of the highest sales taxes in the nation. Highest gas prices and gas taxes in the nation. Among the most absurd and ridiculous housing market and prices in the nation, rivaled only by Manhattan in absurdity.

It is a quadruple whammy unfit for those who seek to build assets. You would be light-years ahead if you take your young career to a low-cost state, which will likely pay you as much, if not more, in income -- and it won't confiscate it the way California does.

Geographic arbitrage. Learn this term. Then live it while you are young. It will put you miles ahead of your peers.

You can search lots of state forums. Many, many California refugees to Texas, Nevada, Washington, really anywhere in the sunbelt. Uniformly people report their financial well-being skyrocketed after leaving California. Tons of posts in the Texas forums, for example, about how people could buy a nice home, and then stuff money hand-over-fist in their bank accounts, when freed from California's detestable cost structure. Many reports of how much easier things became, financially.

It's not you. It's California. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 11:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
$70k in student loan debt at an in-state school? OUCH! This is why I'm making my son live at home and commute to the nearest CSU!

Until you get out from under that debt you are going to suffer. Unfortunately I don't know a solution to a problem like that.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:36 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
You are doing nothing wrong at all. The simple fact is California is the worst state in the nation for young adults and young families just starting out. Highest income tax in the nation. One of the highest sales taxes in the nation. Highest gas prices and gas taxes in the nation. Among the most absurd and ridiculous housing market and prices in the nation, rivaled only by Manhattan in absurdity.

It is a quadruple whammy unfit for those who seek to build assets. You would be light-years ahead if you take your young career to a low-cost state, which will likely pay you as much, if not more, in income -- and it won't confiscate it the way California does.

Geographic arbitrage. Learn this term. Then live it while you are young. It will put you miles ahead of your peers.

You can search lots of state forums. Many, many California refugees to Texas, Nevada, Washington, really anywhere in the sunbelt. Uniformly people report their financial well-being skyrocketed after leaving California. Tons of posts in the Texas forums, for example, about how people could buy a nice home, and then stuff money hand-over-fist in their bank accounts, when freed from California's detestable cost structure. Many reports of how much easier things became, financially.

It's not you. It's California. Period.
I think pride has made a lot of us hesitant to move away.

I remembered someone in my youth telling me "you were raised in California, your root is here, if you cannot make it here, then you have failed." Certainly at some point, survival necessity will take precedence over pride, but pride is really really strong especially if your family has been rooted in California.

There's a sense of elite-ism that Californians carry with them. Once they move out of state, they are no longer "elite". I know, it reeks of class discrimination but I think it's true in some ways--and I'm guilty of it to a certain sense as well

Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
This video points out the fact that the middle class is being hollowed out in the Silicon Valley. The high paid foreign workers have pushed out the middle class so it really is time to just move on.

http://billmoyers.com/content/homeless-in-high-techs-shadow/

Old 06-12-2013, 09:47 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
I was born and raised in San Jose, graduated from Cal Poly SLO with a Manufacturing Engineering degree, and have worked for a major defense contractor in Sunnyvale for the last two years. I live in San Jose.

I make $63k/yr and have $70,000 in student loan debt. I pay $750/mo on my student loans alone. I live in a small, very low quality house on a busy street with 3 other guys. I drive a $1200 '91 Ford Ranger i have to work on constantly to keep running. My share of the rent including utilities is approximately $800/mo. All my other living expenses are probably similar to most other folks living in this area.

My biggest dream is to own my own house. I'm saving money (~20k in 401k, another $10k in savings), but at the rate I am going, I wont be able to afford a down payment for at least another 5-10 years. Even then, I wouldn't be able to afford a mortgage either. Housing prices are only continuing to go up and thought of renting a small apartment for more than $1000 is very depressing to me.

My dad bought is first house in San Jose when he was 20 years old working as a machinist. What am I doing wrong?
Your employer is paying you peanuts. If they are in defense, I can't imagine your are competing with very many H1B indentured servants. I'd say it's time to look.

Beyond that, assuming you can crack the nut regarding pay, the COL is the tough one. All the outside money plus local "Facebook" type money is inflating the COL. That is compounded by the draconian land use policies.

The middle class is being driven out of the Bay Area and CA in general.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:49 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
I think pride has made a lot of us hesitant to move away.

I remembered someone in my youth telling me "you were raised in California, your root is here, if you cannot make it here, then you have failed." Certainly at some point, survival necessity will take precedence over pride, but pride is really really strong especially if your family has been rooted in California.

There's a sense of elite-ism that Californians carry with them. Once they move out of state, they are no longer "elite". I know, it reeks of class discrimination but I think it's true in some ways--and I'm guilty of it to a certain sense as well
Most of the old Californio type lines have left the state. Forget about being elite.

The "elites" here are now the Global Elites. They don't know a reatta from a rooting boar.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:05 AM

765 posts, read 2,441,009 times
Quote:

It's also tough to make the decision to move out of state. I've lived here my
whole life, and all of my family and friends are here as well.
You are missing out on a whole world of opportunity.....I feel sad that you don't have a sense of adventure and feel bound here. If you move for a different job in a different state - there will be people there to make friends with, and believe me - people will make excuses to come visit you, and you can always fly back to visit. The worse thing that can happen is that you have to move back.

In 25 years we have moved and lived in 6 cities in 4 states, 2 countries. Highly recommend!!!

Old 06-12-2013, 10:44 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
You have to chose between buying a house and living in the Bay Area, I'm afraid. Life is about compromises and trade-offs.
Run the numbers, it might make sense in the long run to continue renting and pump all that extra cash into savings.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:09 AM

486 posts, read 1,255,890 times
Huh, what do you mean you can't afford to live here anymore? You make over the median income even for the Bay Area, and you are saving a very high 40% of your pretax income.

You can most definitely afford to live here. You probably just can't afford to BUY a home right now, which is completely different.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:14 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times
Quote:
I was born and raised in San Jose, graduated from Cal Poly SLO with a Manufacturing Engineering degree, and have worked for a major defense contractor in Sunnyvale for the last two years. I live in San Jose.

I make $63k/yr and have $70,000 in student loan debt. I pay $750/mo on my student loans alone. I live in a small, very low quality house on a busy street with 3 other guys. I drive a $1200 '91 Ford Ranger i have to work on constantly to keep running. My share of the rent including utilities is approximately $800/mo. All my other living expenses are probably similar to most other folks living in this area.

My biggest dream is to own my own house. I'm saving money (~20k in 401k, another $10k in savings), but at the rate I am going, I wont be able to afford a down payment for at least another 5-10 years. Even then, I wouldn't be able to afford a mortgage either. Housing prices are only continuing to go up and thought of renting a small apartment for more than $1000 is very depressing to me.

My dad bought is first house in San Jose when he was 20 years old working as a machinist. What am I doing wrong?
How old are you? 63k isn't exactly a bad starting salary for the first few years.

How did you rack up 70,000 in student loans going to a CSU?

That student loan is killing you, and is the problem. That's 15% of your gross income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose