Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 06:09 PM

310 posts, read 256,211 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or do people just forget how to drive on this freeway? More specifically 280 South heading towards downtown (once you pass RIP Tommy). I swear, every time I hit that part it seems like everybody goes nuts and they lose all ability to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDecker30 View Post
Is it just me or do people just forget how to drive on this freeway? More specifically 280 South heading towards downtown (once you pass RIP Tommy). I swear, every time I hit that part it seems like everybody goes nuts and they lose all ability to drive.
I find Cupertino to feature a noticeable driving proficiency. Also, anywhere around a high school, community college, or university.
280 South gets ridiculous in the area you're talking about most likely because of the mayhem at the 87 onramp.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:27 AM

119 posts, read 233,485 times
Before I moved to the SF Bay Area, I assumed drivers would be crazy, fast, and aggressive. Instead on my commutes between mountain view and pleasanton, I've found them to be oblivious, slow, and passive aggressive. I'll never, ever, understand why California drivers have such and aversion to letting others merge from an on-ramp or how they can justify going 5-10mph under the speed limit when there is mo reason to do so...

Oh we'll, there are terrible drivers everywhere

Old 06-21-2013, 12:12 PM

310 posts, read 686,796 times
I like L.A. freeways because construction and landscaping trucks do not routinely let rebar, ladders, tools, rusty nails, gravel and other assorted refuse slide out of their truck beds onto the freeways like they do here. Cleaner freeways and fewer flats were major benefits to me of the construction bust.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:23 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
I find Cupertino to feature a noticeable driving proficiency. Also, anywhere around a high school, community college, or university.
280 South gets ridiculous in the area you're talking about most likely because of the mayhem at the 87 onramp.
I'll concur that the approaches to/from the 87 interchange and the very close proximity of the Bird Avenue exits & Almaden/Vine off ramps make this a challenging stretch of 280.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Good point, both sides of 280 are a mess at the 87 interchange. It sucks getting on there from 10th street when you have cars flying into your lane from all sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbard53 View Post
Before I moved to the SF Bay Area, I assumed drivers would be crazy, fast, and aggressive. Instead on my commutes between mountain view and pleasanton, I've found them to be oblivious, slow, and passive aggressive. I'll never, ever, understand why California drivers have such and aversion to letting others merge from an on-ramp or how they can justify going 5-10mph under the speed limit when there is mo reason to do so...

Oh we'll, there are terrible drivers everywhere
Yeah, I don't quite enjoy the fact that I constantly get stuck going 45-50mph when it is nowhere near rush hour haha. I remember moving up here people would say that I would get run off the road up here. And I also agree with merging, people are horrendous at it, or just plain dicks about it by speeding up when you put your blinker on. I think that is my biggest gripe. They also seem to like cutting me off and slamming on their brakes when they could have easily gotten into the lane behind me where they have about 10 car lengths worth of room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagleepark View Post
I like L.A. freeways because construction and landscaping trucks do not routinely let rebar, ladders, tools, rusty nails, gravel and other assorted refuse slide out of their truck beds onto the freeways like they do here. Cleaner freeways and fewer flats were major benefits to me of the construction bust.
I can't even tell you how many times my tires have been punctured by giant nails and screws since I have lived here. I had never had that happen to me before, but has happened multiple times in San Jose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I'll concur that the approaches to/from the 87 interchange and the very close proximity of the Bird Avenue exits & Almaden/Vine off ramps make this a challenging stretch of 280.
The lack of merging abilities by the drivers and the people trying to get over to the interchange make it a real pain, that's for sure. I think that is a big problem with the way some parts of the freeways here are designed. For example, on 280 South just after the Virgina exit where there is that crazy part when lane after lane end and merge.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:34 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
I think 17 is the worst road, at least till you hit Scotts Valley, people either going too fast or too slow, I think people in Miami drive way worst than Californians, they won't let you in traffic at all and there is a ultra mix of slow pokes and people who drive way too fast with the mix of old people, illegals and tourists who do not know who where they are going.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:48 PM

16 posts, read 26,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
I think 17 is the worst road, at least till you hit Scotts Valley, people either going too fast or too slow, I think people in Miami drive way worst than Californians, they won't let you in traffic at all and there is a ultra mix of slow pokes and people who drive way too fast with the mix of old people, illegals and tourists who do not know who where they are going.
When I moved to the bay area and was driving on the freeway 237, I was surprised and confused why the heck everyone is driving 75 when the speedlimit says 55. Therefore, some are driving horribly slowly on the left lane while others drive 80 on the right lane...

Old 06-22-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
I had a friend who lived in the Mountains off of 17, I want to say it was Glennwood Drive. The scariest times ever have been trying to pull out of Glennwood Dr. to go back to San Jose. Crossing all of those busy lanes with very low visibility due to the curves in the road almost got me killed a couple of times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose