Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 PM

47 posts, read 95,395 times

Advertisements

My 23 year old daughter and some other teachers with Teach for American would like to live in the area they will be teaching, which is Alum Rock, in a safe area. They would like to rent a 4 bedroom house to share expenses. They would need the house July 29, when they begin teaching. They are in training now in L.A, unsure how they will see any place ahead of time. Seems difficult to me, but told my daughter I would post for any help or suggestions on finding a house. I know that there are some houses listed on Craigs list/U Loop around San Jose State University, but they would like to live near their students and schools in Alum Rock.
THANKS VERY MUCH AHEAD FOR ANY HELP/SUGGESTIONS!!
Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 06:04 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,183 times
The only nice part of Alum Rock is in the foothills which are very nice. The rest of Alum Rock is dumpy and unsafe. If they'll have cars, they should look elsewhere. There are plenty of better areas in San Jose within easy driving distance.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:51 PM

33 posts, read 67,140 times
^ this

also avoid downtown/the numbered streets amd east willow glen as both are similar to most of the east side

consider south san jose though she will have to tolerate commute traffic from ssj to nsj

Old 06-22-2013, 09:47 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,919,980 times
Ridiculous generalizations, above. There are plenty of "safe" neighborhoods. Just check crime stats for the neighborhoods she or you is interested in checking out and talk to the folks at the nearest police station. Do your due diligence but no need to write off entire areas of the city.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:25 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercommuter View Post
^ this

also avoid downtown/the numbered streets amd east willow glen as both are similar to most of the east side

consider south san jose though she will have to tolerate commute traffic from ssj to nsj
I agree with everything except the downtown part.

There are some good parts of downtown and some seedy part. Generally, for downtown, anything in the block south of the University (around Williams) and east of Market, I would stay away from, as this area also bleeds into East Willow Glen. West downtown and North downtown are good to live.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:27 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
The only nice part of Alum Rock is in the foothills which are very nice. The rest of Alum Rock is dumpy and unsafe. If they'll have cars, they should look elsewhere. There are plenty of better areas in San Jose within easy driving distance.
Agreed.

I would recommend Berryessa (north of Alum Rock) or in Evergreen (south of Alum Rock). They're easily accessible to Alum Rock via I-680, White Road, and Capitol Avenue.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:14 AM

Dear mstnghu2, mistercommuter, imcurious, bobby guz man:
Thank you all so very, very much for your extremely helpful comments!! I have heard generally that Alum Rock is not the best area. I have not checked the crime statistics yet, and that is a good idea! I have heard of Berryesa, Evergreen, and good to check out. The areas to avoid are useful information. So, this is all very useful to know! Also, basically there does not seem to be many houses for rent in Alum Rock. Some are willing to rent while waiting to sell. Also, my daughter was hoping to keep the budget within $500.00 per person in the house, which does not seem possible! She and other teachers want to live in the community where they teach. Mstnghu2 suggested the foothills are very nice, I think that is next to Alum Rock Park. She runs and hikes so that would be nice. Will share all this very helpful information with my daughter!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP AND TIME!!!
Karen Walters

Old 06-23-2013, 11:14 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Ridiculous generalizations, above. There are plenty of "safe" neighborhoods. Just check crime stats for the neighborhoods she or you is interested in checking out and talk to the folks at the nearest police station. Do your due diligence but no need to write off entire areas of the city.

Um, no. 99.99% of the flatland area of Alum Rock has a much higher than average crime rate compared to the rest of San Jose. Once you head about one mile east of White Rd. toward the hills it becomes drastically nicer. The foothills are very nice, have some of the best views of the valley and are generally very safe.

For the record, my brother used to live at the intersection of Alum Rock Ave. and Jose Figueres Ave. I can tell you countless stories of the crime encounters he and my sister-in-law encountered, including a home invasion! Alum Rock (apart from the hills) is the hood...period. I've spent a lot of time in the area over the years. Apart from my brother living in the area, I also used to go to Alum Rock Park all the time, my favorite birthday cake is burnt almond from Peter's Bakery on Alum Rock Ave. and I used to hang out with friends in a car club and cruise near Alum Rock Ave./King Rd. on the way downtown almost every weekend....so yes, I have experience with this part of town.

OP, avoid it.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:17 PM

Dear mstnghu2,
Thanks for the further information and details. I was trying to understand, is the foothills the area near Alum Rock Park?
Since it is safe, and she loves to run cross country, this wold be perfect, but I wanted to make certain. I would assume it would be very difficult to find reasonable rent in the area, but will investigate it!
THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND HELP!!!
Karen

Old 06-23-2013, 12:44 PM

Again, I very much appreicate everyone's input, time, and help.!! Coming from the midwest and knowing nothing about the area is very difficult. I think the area next to Alum Rock Park is referred to as the East Foothhills. I saw some houses listed in this area for rent, kind of pricey. Please correct me if I'm wong, and how far is this area from Alum Rock Park?
THANKS VERY MUCH!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose