Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 03:40 PM

12 posts, read 39,228 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I'm seriously considering taking the plunge and relocating to California from Texas. I recently earn my graduate degree in Technical Writing, and achieved a 3.88 GPA. I am a 32 year old single female, a free thinker and fairly liberal.

The reason that I am researching California, specifically San Jose, is that there appear to be more job options for me. The prospect of working at the corporate headquarters of a large company really appeals to me. I've done this before, and had many promotions opportunities. Also, I believe that I would be around more like-minded people in California than in Texas.

Can anyone shed light on the employment for technical writers in San Jose? I have progressive work experience, as well as an undergraduate business degree. Please share your experiences of finding this type of work. Also, have you found that companies offer relocation packages?

I appreciate any help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 04:47 PM

23,528 posts, read 24,011,889 times
There are many high technology companies in San Jose and the southern end of the Bay Area. The larger companies do need technical writers, though I don't know specifically how the market is. (I work in high technology, but in Sales.) I would apply from Texas and see if you can get an interview. Most of the larger companies here do offer relocation packages to out of state and out of area candidates. Usually, they will offer a lump sum for staff level employees (generally between 3K to 10K) to help pay for your expenses.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:59 PM

686 posts, read 1,767,698 times
In general, I have seen more technical-writing opportunities on contract than for employment. I am sure there are employers that supply technical writers to large companies.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:57 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,421 times
I suggest you contact some technical or temporary work recruiters and see if they can get you a job as they already have relationships with many of the companies here.

Then you can start doing your own searching and applying.

My apprehension is that going from TX to CA will be a shock to you. My understanding of TX is that the COL is much lower there which includes the lower cost buying a house- or nearly anything, for that matter.

In the Silicon Valley and the Bay Area in general, you'll find the housing market to be highly impacted with high rental costs and an undersupply of housing causing the housing (buying) market to be extremely expensive. Generally the most expensive housing is in Palo Alto and Menlo Park and the closer any housing is to that area, the more expensive it is.

How expensive is housing here? Consider this- nearly everyone who comes here from middle American states has a rude awakening when they see what their money gets them here, followed by bleats such as "but I could get twice the square footage in (enter state here)."

You'll also find ample traffic and a generally alienating human interaction as the demography here is heavily first-generation immigrants who segregate themselves and interact little outside of their cultural/language groups.

Being a female may help you, though, as the culture of the Silicon Valley is heavily feminist and more generally postmodernist with a strong current of intolerant, self-righteous liberalism. I guess you'll find out not just how liberal you are but what kind of liberal you are- the 'live and let live' kind or the kind who calls nearly anyone a racist or a sexist for nearly any reason.

Whatever you do, I suggest you at least visit the Silicon Valley and get a feel for the place before you go through the trouble of moving here. Then you'll have a better assessment of whether the grass is greener here, or not.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:14 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
My wife is a Sr. Technical Writer and has been doing so for over 15 years. She initially had trouble finding full time positions, but that changed as she got additional experience. I will say that for contract roles, Jr. tech writers can make $30-40/hour. More Sr. level roles can be in the $50-75/hour range. For full time positions, I think Junior roles would be more in the $60k+ range. Sr. level roles can be well over $100k, not including stock awards, which can be significant.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:36 PM

310 posts, read 686,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Sr. level roles can be well over $100k, not including stock awards, which can be significant.
That surprises me. Can the OP count on finding something like that or that a one-of-a-kind opportunity?

I've only seen 3-month contract opportunities at my employer. Usually, the contractor freshens up some documentation that was written by an engineer or QA person. As you can imagine, that doesn't yield a good end result.

The decline of printed user manuals and then printed technical books has been hard.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:01 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagleepark View Post
That surprises me...
Me too. I just learned something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose