Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM

26 posts, read 29,283 times

Advertisements

Thank you StandingRoomOnly & Zombocom for your helpful responses

I have looked around campus. Something that I should ad is that I have a dog. This has made the search much more difficult, trying to find a place that is okay with a dog=not easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 02:07 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,535 times
First, so nobody will jump down my throat ...

I was born in the bay area. my parents were born in the bay area. Two of my grandparents were born in CA, and all 4 of them were living in CA (2 in SF) for the earthquake of '06. So I've got my local credentials (much more than 95% of the so called 'natives').

Nicole : Normally, I'd say 'pick the better school', but you said the two schools were "equally good" for your specialty (or at least that's what I understood).

I enjoy living here (I live in Campbell). But "south bay" (SJ and cities next to it) is expensive. If cost doesn't matter, I'd recommend here. I've been to COL many times (Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, Pueblo and even miniscule Cripple Creek (where my GGdad died in a mine cave-in in 1898). I've never *lived* in COL - all visits were for less than 2 weeks. But the inconveniences I'd imagine are (1) the cold (esp. for someone from OC) (2) High, dry air. For the dry air, maybe you get used to it, but I had dry throat and worse, bleeding nose several times during each visit.

That being said, you are going to have to spend a LOT more money to live in the south bay than living in Denver, unless you live in a crappy area in a crappy appt. According to :

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Rent Prices in Denver, CO are 42.42% lower than in San Jose, CA.

I can't tell you if you'll meet better people here or there, or if the education will be better in one or the other, but I *can* positively tell you that the weather will be better here, and that it will be a LOT more expensive to live here than in Denver (for equivalent lodgings). If money is an important factor, ya gotta go to Denver.

Last edited by Yac; 06-25-2013 at 06:42 AM..

Old 06-24-2013, 02:52 PM

110 posts, read 269,971 times
I agree that Gilroy commute would not be much fun at all for you, I live South San Jose right by a VTA station it takes like 20-30 mins to get downtown and is only $2 each way. I have live here 2 years and to be honest have never felt unsafe in San Jose.

I don't frequent any of the so called 'undesirable' areas but also know that crime can happen anywhere, all I can re-iterate is I find it a very safe feeling place.

I would live by a VTA if you can and take that to School (although I am assuming there is a VTA close?)

Hope that helps

Old 06-24-2013, 05:05 PM

thank you marcopolo666 and tilz! The funny thing is my COL budget is not SUPER LOW but the COL is just exceptionally high in the bay area. I understand why though, it is in the heart of the silicon valley where all the action is.

I like both areas [CO and SJ], which is why its been so hard for me to make a choice and with school in less than 2 months, I am starting to feel the pressure to get housing. My budget is $850/mo, can pay utilities on top of that. But the catch is I have a dog, which limits the options housing wise, and on a general trend has been adding about $50 more to my rent.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:06 PM

to clarify, $850 would be with the expectation of having a roommate, or two, or three. Not my own place, clearly hahaha.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:09 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
To the OP -- what is the emphasis of your MBA? And, what types of companies do you see yourself working for post-graduation?

I've lived both in greater Denver and greater San Jose. They each have a lot going for them as far as places to live.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:37 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolekatrinab View Post
I have been to Colorado twice in the last year and absolutely loved it there [though most of my time was spent in Boulder].
Just a reminder that Denver is really nothing like Boulder (C.U. alum).

Old 06-24-2013, 06:11 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Just curious. Wouldn't a university degree have more clout than a state university degree? For instance, in CA a University of California, Davis or Berkeley, etc., degree is thought of as being more prestigious than a Cal State Hayward, degree. Wondering if that would be the same for Denver vs. San Jose.

Also, OP, people in San Jose who frequent this forum tend to be really touchy about anything negative said about SJ, or even potentially perceived as negative. So, you won't get much negative feedback, as people have learned to not be negative around here. So, read between the lines.

Now watch them jump down my throat LOL!

Old 06-24-2013, 06:20 PM

Emphasis is communications. Lol thank you all so much for the wonderful feedback!!!

Old 06-24-2013, 06:33 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
SJSU's reputation will do just fine. Certainly not an unknown quantity or one that is generally looked down upon (and, many HR people who don't live in bubbles realize that many of the brightest students can't afford top-flight universities they could otherwise qualify for).

With a dog, I would look for a room in a house around the 95128, Alum Rock foothills, Evergreen, Santa Cruz Mountains. You're going to need a yard, so you need to check places that might have that kind of space and are dog-friendly. (Too bad - got a guy with two dogs moving into my extra room. Otherwise, you might have got it. All about timing and luck, really)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose