Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:50 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,793,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
I doubt priv sch tuition < yearly rent savings from two different areas.
I agree. But, sometimes it sill makes sense.

We started our daughter out in the public school system in Cupertino (Regnart Elementary ==> Kennedy Middle School ==> Monta Vista High School). These are certainly good & desirable schools.

However, we switched her to private school (Harker School) starting 2nd grade. Sometimes, logistics has a big factor. Both my spouse & I worked full time (~ 60 hours/week). Morning logistics were tough, as both before-school and after-school on-site day care was full with a wait list. We arranged after school care at the Y; they sent a shuttle van to Regnart to pick her up. One day we received a telephone call from her 1st grade teacher - she noticed our daughter had been standing in the parking lot for a couple hours waiting for the van (which never arrived).

These types of logistics issues were killer.

Once we switched to Harker, before-school care (starting at 6, I think) and after-school ('till 6) were included. That helped us tremendously. Dance lessons, playground activities, clubs, piano lessons, etc. were all available on campus.

On thing to consider is this. One of the biggest impacts we as parents have on our children is the choice of what school to which we send them. By virtue of school choice, we determine the pool from which our kids will select their friends & peers. We found Harker worked better for us. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,779,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

On thing to consider is this. One of the biggest impacts we as parents have on our children is the choice of what school to which we send them. By virtue of school choice, we determine the pool from which our kids will select their friends & peers. We found Harker worked better for us. YMMV.
Also has a lot to do with how much money one can spend on school.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:03 AM

13,563 posts, read 10,282,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Also has a lot to do with how much money one can spend on school.
Absolutely. Harker School is one of the best independent schools in the area, but it costs a bomb!

Old 09-18-2013, 04:48 PM

11 posts, read 26,978 times
Thank you all-you've given me alot to work with. Having the option of a private school wasn't something I thought of and is a fantastic idea-especially when it comes to those high school years.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,826 times
Sorry, njbunnymama,
I know very little about the homeschool culture in South Bay. We ended up in downtown San Jose, and at first both kids (then 2.5 and 4) attended Giving Tree Montessori. We found it to be a very positive experience with calm, kind, experienced guides. My son then attended kindergarten at the Discovery School Charter (II), which was still finding its footing as a parent participation model. We had a wonderful teacher, and being on campus 4 hours/week was a true blessing. My son loved it there. My daughter attended San Jose State Associated Students Child Development Center, which we have dubbed "paradise preschool" for its Reggio Emilia ideology, beautiful facilities, and unbelievably committed caregivers. Not to be confused with chAD, the teaching preschool in SJU, which was more affordable but significantly less awesome. We also toured San Jose Montessori, which was expensive but very traditional and well-established. There was a significant waiting list here. Hope any of that helps? We have since moved to Austin, and now are facing new challenges with school choices. Huge, vibrant homeschooling community here; wish I had the skills to take such a thing on! Good luck with your search!!

Old 03-03-2015, 10:34 PM

5,891 posts, read 3,198,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local123 View Post
The environment is too high pressure for my liking.
In that case, you can nix the CUSD off your list as well. Its all Tiger Moms and Kumon and violin/cello/piano lessons.

In the price range mentioned, the only really likely option is Campbell. Los Gatos is too expensive, ...San Jose Unified or Santa Clara both suck...Sunnyvale is sketchy.

California School Performance Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose