Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 01:42 AM

848 posts, read 966,346 times

Advertisements

Or living in the opposite direction of the flow of traffic in the morning when going to work. Works for going home afterward too. I've found that while there are patches here and there where it clogs up (namely, interchanges), it's generally smooth sailing.

Although I think it's a lot less common because it seems most of the jobs that pay enough to self sustain are generally in a northern direction.

But yes, living close to work is definitely still better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 11:39 AM

15 posts, read 21,837 times
Thanks always for your inputs never-more. Also for a family of 3 in a 3 bedroom 2 bath home, how much do you think is the average PG&E bill in the winter and summer? Gas or electric heater? I mean do you use the AC at all in the summer or how often do you use heating in the winter? How much is your average grocery bill? Gas? and other expenses that you have? I want to have an idea because am making a comparison table.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:43 AM

Thanks PhoenixSomeday. We will keep that in mind. Although now we are geared to Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, some parts of San Jose & Cupertino. MV is expensive for our budget.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:04 PM

563 posts, read 807,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie77 View Post
Thanks always for your inputs never-more. Also for a family of 3 in a 3 bedroom 2 bath home, how much do you think is the average PG&E bill in the winter and summer? Gas or electric heater? I mean do you use the AC at all in the summer or how often do you use heating in the winter? How much is your average grocery bill? Gas? and other expenses that you have? I want to have an idea because am making a comparison table.
California has the most expensive gasoline rates, as for HVAC use, you rarely need it most of the time. It's wise to check if the place you rent is insulated, but the weather is very temperate here. As for grocery bills, some say that if you like farmer markets, you'll pay less.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:23 PM

Thanks again, never-more.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
There's a Grocery Outlet in Santa Clara at Homestead and Lawrence Expwy. Cheapest groceries around. The inventory changes constantly - it's kind of a thrift store grocery store. But they have great prices on everything including dairy, meat, produce, frozen foods, canned goods, and even a section of organic, gluten free type stuff.

The farmer's market in Santa Clara is really small and pricey, but if you go out to one of the bigger ones, you'll get better prices.

There's a produce stand with good prices and organic section at the corner of Homestead and Scott Blvd. They have a variety of ethnic goodies there, too.

My utilities are included in my "free" manager's apt, so I can't comment on utility bills. I do use my AC, as my apt is on the SW corner of our bldg, and I get sun all day long. But, I just use a small window unit and fans to blow it into the living room from the bedroom.

Gas heat is cheaper than electric heat. I don't use my heat much in the winter. I normally turn on the gas heater (just one old wall unit in the living room) in the morning to take off the chill, and that's it. I also keep a tiny electric space heater in the bathroom to take the chill off in the winter if I'm going to take a shower.

My internet was really cheap the first 12 months - around $15/mo on special through AT&T. Then it went up to around $45. I don't pay for cable. Just internet and Netflix ($8/mo).

Other than housing, it's really pretty affordable here.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:54 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,314 times
I always find farmer's market generally overpriced for what you get. What are the reasons for everyone's obsession with farmer's market, besides getting to do an hour's worth of strolling?

I don't do my grocery shopping at Safeway nor Albertsons. I generally do it at the smaller Asian markets around my area except for when I have to try and make non-Asian food, and even then the Asian markets stock most of them anyhow.

The one I go to in downtown San Jose is Dai Thanh Supermarket. Quite small, but good price and quality.

For fruits and vegetables, I do my grocery shopping at the smaller Flea Market on Snell and Hillcap (the drive thru movie joint). Best prices and quality in the area! I'm surprised none of you folks in SJ ever shopped your fruits/veggies there.

Besides, a stroll through a flea market is 100X more interesting than a stroll through a farmer's market The Big Flea Market in Berryessa is too generic for me, the smaller one has a lot more interesting items.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:17 PM

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated as always.

I agree that Asian stores cost less. Anyway, I am drawing up a comparison table for us to be able to put in realistic figures that we can afford. By the way how is the job market there these days? We were thinking that as soon as we are ready, I am flying out there before the summer of 2015 to look for a job and hopefully find one in 2-3 of months. Would this be a realistic time frame? I was thinking of looking for a job first before the rental to make sure that we live close by. Also, can you please give me a figure in terms of internet, cable and phone monthly rate? We pay $75/ monthly[bundle package] and when we were in NY $99/month [bundle package]. Internet and phone are important to us since my husband works from home and needs a fast internet connection and a landline phone.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:10 AM

865 posts, read 1,826,760 times
For once someone has a realistic rental budget! Yes, especially if you are considering townhomes I think you are fine. However that is fine in 2013, in 2 more years, that would be hard to say. Don't get any pets between now and then either, landlords here are excruciatingly biased against those with pets. If you have no cats or dogs, though, you are golden. Check crimereports.com as it gets closer, and greatschools.net for school ideas.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:15 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
I always find farmer's market generally overpriced for what you get. What are the reasons for everyone's obsession with farmer's market, besides getting to do an hour's worth of strolling?

I don't do my grocery shopping at Safeway nor Albertsons. I generally do it at the smaller Asian markets around my area except for when I have to try and make non-Asian food, and even then the Asian markets stock most of them anyhow.

The one I go to in downtown San Jose is Dai Thanh Supermarket. Quite small, but good price and quality.

For fruits and vegetables, I do my grocery shopping at the smaller Flea Market on Snell and Hillcap (the drive thru movie joint). Best prices and quality in the area! I'm surprised none of you folks in SJ ever shopped your fruits/veggies there.

Besides, a stroll through a flea market is 100X more interesting than a stroll through a farmer's market The Big Flea Market in Berryessa is too generic for me, the smaller one has a lot more interesting items.
Another alternative to farmers' markets are the specialty produce markets, such as Felipe's Market in Sunnyvale, Foothill Produce in Los Altos (these two are owned by the same family), The Milk Pail in Mt. View, and DeMartini's in Los Altos. They have riper and often less pricey produce than the big supermarkets, and they also tend to carry specialty foods from Eastern Europe and the Middle East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose