Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 05:35 PM

240 posts, read 476,362 times

Advertisements

I don't know much the area between 101 and El Camino in Santa Clara compared to the area south of Homestead. In Mountain View and Sunnyvale, attributing an overall $100k difference to El Camino doesn't surprise me, as you're not buying into an area mixed with commercial properties and freeway ramps. When you live on one side of El Camino, you rarely venture across to stroll on the other side.
Frankly the overall $100k doesn't mean much - for comparison, I've observed $200k+ difference for identical properties in the exact same *street* crossing from SCSD (Santa Clara school district) to CUSD, as sometimes school boundaries cuts through residential blocks. Or prices may go up or down $50k between Spring's hot months (March & April) and late Fall's quiet season. Also a house situated in one of these Santa Clara streets that curve to join a North-South street to an East-West street will see almost no traffic, as opposed to the nearby East-West commuter Avenue, and I've see that alone command a $200k to $300k premium. In my opinion, best to have a pretty good lot in an average neighborhood than a bad lot in a better neighborhood when purchasing your primary residence - you'll be happier in the former. For investment residences, well that's a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 07:01 PM

24 posts, read 30,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicydreamt View Post
I don't know much the area between 101 and El Camino in Santa Clara compared to the area south of Homestead. In Mountain View and Sunnyvale, attributing an overall $100k difference to El Camino doesn't surprise me, as you're not buying into an area mixed with commercial properties and freeway ramps. When you live on one side of El Camino, you rarely venture across to stroll on the other side.
Frankly the overall $100k doesn't mean much - for comparison, I've observed $200k+ difference for identical properties in the exact same *street* crossing from SCSD (Santa Clara school district) to CUSD, as sometimes school boundaries cuts through residential blocks. Or prices may go up or down $50k between Spring's hot months (March & April) and late Fall's quiet season. Also a house situated in one of these Santa Clara streets that curve to join a North-South street to an East-West street will see almost no traffic, as opposed to the nearby East-West commuter Avenue, and I've see that alone command a $200k to $300k premium. In my opinion, best to have a pretty good lot in an average neighborhood than a bad lot in a better neighborhood when purchasing your primary residence - you'll be happier in the former. For investment residences, well that's a different story.
Thanks a lot!!

Old 07-24-2013, 04:41 PM

For those who are interested in the neighborhood, I found these websites are extremely helpful:
Santa Clara
Sunnyvale

Glad I could contribute a little information to this forum too!

Old 10-02-2013, 04:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,046 times
Thumbs up Santa Clara secrets...

Why are schools important? They affect the property value of the entire city. There are some streets in Santa Clara where one side in in the Santa Clara School District and the other side in Cupertino schools. The exact same houses sell for about $200k more because of Cupertino's top schools.

The secret: The media only reports the total test scores. If you look at the scores not counting English Learning students, Santa Clara schools score almost as high as Cupertino. One day this will be recognized and Santa Clara home values will rise to match Cupertino's.

Another secret: Santa Clara is one of only two cities in California that still elects the police chief. Therefore a high percentage of police officers live in Santa Clara, in case they ever want to run for chief. (This is a rarity in Santa Clara county -- most public safety officers live over an hour away.)

Low electricity rates: Santa Clara provides electrical service directly. The rates are lower than surrounding cities served by PG&E

It is safe: Santa Clara has the lowest emergency response times for police, fire, and medical in Santa Clara County -- and among the quickest in the entire country.

Low maintenance townhouses: Some were built when land was much cheaper. For example, there are some that are part of a complex at 895 Quince Avenue that have private back yards as big as brand new nearby $1,000,000 houses! But you pay under $700,000 for the townhouse, and don't have to worry about most home maintenance issues. (There are others in town, too).

Again, one day -- probably very soon -- people looking for a decent priced yard but who can't afford a SFR will drive the price of townhouses with decent sized yards up closer to SFR prices.

We've lived here for a long time, and in the area for our entire lives. It is certainly worth checking out! Good luck!

Old 10-02-2013, 03:14 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,771,824 times
That sort of cheerleading, combined with resurrecting an old thread with a first post, can only lead one to believe somebody is trying to sell us something.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
That sort of cheerleading, combined with resurrecting an old thread with a first post, can only lead one to believe somebody is trying to sell us something.
Lol, think you nailed it. Checking Zillow for 895 Quince shows 1 townhouse with a "large" yard (nearby million dollar homes have tiny yards)that is still for sale from original listing in April.

Also, looking at this place with street view from Google maps shows another benefit of Santa Clara: there is an annual city wide cleanup event. At least I hope that's why all the trash is out front .

Having said that, I've lived in Santa Clara for the past 10 years in two different condo/townhouse communities. I think as long as you find a place that suits you, it is a good city to live in.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:34 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,756,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SClara Native View Post
Why are schools important? They affect the property value of the entire city.
I always thought they were important because they educate people.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:42 PM

Finally, I bought something in Santa Clara!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:55 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,771,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2buy View Post
Finally, I bought something in Santa Clara!
A house? A burrito? A puppy? What?

Old 11-05-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
A house? A burrito? A puppy? What?
A house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose