Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 09:12 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
The Davis Campus is 10 miles from downtown Sacramento, and the main teaching/research medical center and main hospital is in Sacramento, not Davis. (just a few blocks south of Midtown/Downtown Sacramento).

The 3rd best UC in California is in Sacramento Area/UC DAVIS. AND one of the top 25 public universities in the the nation is UC DAVIS.

Best Veterinary Medicine College in the Nation - UC DAVIS

Best Viticultural and Enology College(grape growing and wine making) in the the Nation - UC DAVIS
UC-Davis has a very good reputation. I know someone who just started attending this fall...granted she is 30 years younger than me. LOL! She was very excited about going therfe and for good reason. I think 15 miles is the actual distance, but it is still very close to Sacramento (basically in its metro area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 02:36 AM

6,900 posts, read 8,271,145 times
This is what I like about Sacramento: :-)

1. The People - True NorCal folks, friendly, humble, very outdoors-oriented.

2. Offers the most bang for your buck in: Real estate, housing, and utilities- Sacramento has it’s own public Electric company (SMUD) which keeps electric costs down too.

3. Income levels are higher than national and California averages.

4. 2hour access to both the Pacific and Sierras, and all that in between in less time.

5. American River - No place in California offers such a great natural amenity in the heart of it’s metro - Bike trails, rafting, canoeing, fishing, waterfowl, deer, dog walking, etc.

6. Sacramento River - Great amenity and could be even better with an expansion of it’s downtown waterfront.

7. Great climate - classic mediterranean climate, besides coastal California, offers one the mildest winters and compared to 90% of the nation offers one of the most comfortable summers. Humidity levels in summer just about perfect, not bone dry like the desert southwest, and much much less humid than the south, midwest, and east. Typical Sacramento humidity is 15-20% at warmest time of day. Autumn - With it’s trees canopies, Autumn is beautiful in Sacramento. SAC offers more of a 4-seasons feel than coastal California cities.

8. Trees: Awesome tree canopies in it’s core neighborhoods. The city of Sacramento has an “urban tree forest” Dept. that operates year round. As western cities go, the greenest outside of the pacific northwest.

9. UC Davis - one of the few independent “college towns” in California. 3rd best UC in California and one of the top 25 public universities in the nation. Best Vet Medicine school and Wine making colleges in the nation.

10. Large Artist community - Cheap rents make it easy to have large studios: Great 2nd Saturdays Art walks in California.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:36 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
UC-Davis has a very good reputation. I know someone who just started attending this fall...granted she is 30 years younger than me. LOL! She was very excited about going therfe and for good reason. I think 15 miles is the actual distance, but it is still very close to Sacramento (basically in its metro area).
Davis is more like 20-25 minutes from downtown Sac. if there's no traffic.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:24 PM

More things I like about Sacramento:

11. Sac State- good teaching/educational, engineering, political science depts. Campus sits along side the American River.

12. Sacramento Kings - Fun affordable entertainment, Best, loudest most LOYAL FAN base in the country.

13. Tons of city and county parks throughout the city and metro. - Sac's is one of the top 3 cities with the most parks in the nation.

14. Midtown - fun-loving nights districts, better concentration of straight and gay bars, dance clubs, beer pubs, and wine bars than San Jose/Silicon Valley.

15. Folsom Lake and perimeter - large body of fresh water: water and jet skiing, swimming, anytime of the year - great for hiking too.

16. 320 days of sunshine: more than any coastal Cal city, more than any city in US besides Phx and Vegas without their never ending 24hr heat.

17. Sacramento River Cats Stadium/ball park - Offers beautiful setting with Downtown Sac’s skyline, great for concerts too, very comfortable seating and user friendly atmosphere.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:23 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
We're not proud of our worthless minor league baseball team and neither should you be.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:59 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Quote:
This is what I like about Sacramento: :-)

1. The People - True NorCal folks, friendly, humble, very outdoors-oriented.

2. Offers the most bang for your buck in: Real estate, housing, and utilities- Sacramento has it’s own public Electric company (SMUD) which keeps electric costs down too.

3. Income levels are higher than national and California averages.

4. 2hour access to both the Pacific and Sierras, and all that in between in less time.

5. American River - No place in California offers such a great natural amenity in the heart of it’s metro - Bike trails, rafting, canoeing, fishing, waterfowl, deer, dog walking, etc.

6. Sacramento River - Great amenity and could be even better with an expansion of it’s downtown waterfront.

7. Great climate - classic mediterranean climate, besides coastal California, offers one the mildest winters and compared to 90% of the nation offers one of the most comfortable summers. Humidity levels in summer just about perfect, not bone dry like the desert southwest, and much much less humid than the south, midwest, and east. Typical Sacramento humidity is 15-20% at warmest time of day. Autumn - With it’s trees canopies, Autumn is beautiful in Sacramento. SAC offers more of a 4-seasons feel than coastal California cities.

8. Trees: Awesome tree canopies in it’s core neighborhoods. The city of Sacramento has an “urban tree forest” Dept. that operates year round. As western cities go, the greenest outside of the pacific northwest.

9. UC Davis - one of the few independent “college towns” in California. 3rd best UC in California and one of the top 25 public universities in the nation. Best Vet Medicine school and Wine making colleges in the nation.

10. Large Artist community - Cheap rents make it easy to have large studios: Great 2nd Saturdays Art walks in California.
I have enjoyed the American River trail, too when visiting a friend there. Then you could add the sports teams as #11. I enjoyed a River Cats baseball game two years ago with my friend there. It was an early season game (mid April), so the temp was comfortably around 70 degrees when the game started. They won as a bonus. The town's mayor and civic leaders also worked hard and prevented the Sacramento Kings from going to Seattle.

Both Sacramento and San Jose also have several community colleges in their metro areas.

Happy New Year's Day to all!

Old 01-02-2014, 06:48 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
More things I like about Sacramento:

16. 320 days of sunshine: more than any coastal Cal city, more than any city in US besides Phx and Vegas without their never ending 24hr heat.
That is not true. You are off by 51 days.

Climate Sacramento, CA Sunny Days 269

Sacramento has a much higher crime rate than San Jose.

Violent Crime: San Jose 5, Sacramento 8, United States 4
Property Crime: San Jose 4. Sacramento 7. United States 4

These are from a city comparison site. CD rules don't permit posting the link.

Last edited by JohnSoCal; 01-02-2014 at 06:58 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
That is not true. You are off by 51 days.

Climate Sacramento, CA Sunny Days 269
SACRAMENTO is the 3rd SUNNIEST Major Metro in the USA.

There are different ways to measure the sunniest places

Percent of Sun*
1. Phoenix, Arizona - 85
2. Las Vegas, Nevada - 85
3. Sacramento, California - 78
4. Los Angeles, California - 73
5. Miami, Florida - 70
6. Denver, Colorado - 69
7. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - 68
8. San Diego, California - 68

*Percent of (%) sun - is the percentage of time between sunrise and sunset that sun reaches the earth's surface.

Number of Hours of Sun
1. Phoenix, Arizona - 3872
2. Las Vegas, Nevada - 3825
3. Sacramento, California - 3608
4. Los Angeles, California - data missing
5. Miami, Florida - 3154
6. Denver, Colorado - 3107
7. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - 3089
8. San Diego, California - 3055

Number of Clear Days**
1. Phoenix, Arizona - 211
2. Las Vegas, Nevada - 210
3. Sacramento, California - 188
4. Los Angeles, California - 147
5. San Diego, California - 146
6. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - 139
7. Denver, Colorado - 115
8. Miami, Florida - 74

**Clear days - is the number days a year when clouds cover less than one-third of the sky on average.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:02 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:

The 3rd best UC in California is in Sacramento Area/UC DAVIS. AND one of the top 25 public universities in the the nation is UC DAVIS.
Actually, UC Davis is the #4 best UC, not #3. UC San Diego is #3.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:01 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,935 times
I heard that Sac State was a top 10 business school in the nation.....

But when i visit San Jose, it reminds me a cross breed between the Bay and Sacramento.

San Jose has the bay's infrastructure and freeways. Also, the bay's sports teams are just a hop, skip, and jump away; it has the bay area traffic and vibe, the mountains and scenery is just OUTSTANDING, and the traffic on most of the free ways are very bay areaesque.... Also, don't forget SJ has the bay area $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ON the other hand, the folks in SJ remind me of Sacramento-just laid back and slow paced. IT seems slower in SJ and less busy than it does in SF. In fact, downtown SJ reminds me of downtown SAC, but just A LITTLE fancier ESPECIALLY by the HP PAVILION. (it will always be HP for me, screw SAP) Also, SJ is VERY spread out and HUGE. And while SAC's population doesn't reach SF's or SJ's, Sacramento is bigger than Oakland and SF in terms of Square Miles; not as big as SJ, but Sac is pretty big, too.

Not to "knock on" San Jose, but I wouldn't pay 3 times more to own a home in SJ than to live in Sacramento. And even though a person would get paid more in SJ, I don't think that COLA would be enough for the AVERAGE person to afford SJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose