Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 11:29 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
As for the SF comparison, it is worth noting that although SJ is not much closer to SF than Sac, it is much easier to get there because the two cities are better integrated. You have the Caltrain. You have the Bart in Fremont and in the near future in SJ itself as well. For Sac the only option is driving until they finally build that ridiculously expensive HSR in 20 years.

Capitol Corridor/BART from Sac to SF takes about 2:15 to go 86 miles, averaging about 38 mph. Non-bullet weekend Caltrains take 1:30 to go 48 miles from SJ to SF, which is 32 mph. Driving from SJ to Fremont BART, parking, and getting up to the platform would be minimum 35 minutes on the best of days, and then another 45 for the BART ride, which is an average of about 36 mph.

Overall I'd say the difference in transit access from Sac or SJ to SF is about what you would expect given each city's actual distance from SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 04:52 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Capitol Corridor/BART from Sac to SF takes about 2:15 to go 86 miles, averaging about 38 mph. Non-bullet weekend Caltrains take 1:30 to go 48 miles from SJ to SF, which is 32 mph. Driving from SJ to Fremont BART, parking, and getting up to the platform would be minimum 35 minutes on the best of days, and then another 45 for the BART ride, which is an average of about 36 mph.

Overall I'd say the difference in transit access from Sac or SJ to SF is about what you would expect given each city's actual distance from SF.
I've gotten from SJ to Fremont BART and up to the platform in 25 minutes. It does depend on what part of San Jose you're coming from though. Don't forget the Caltrain weekend bullet trains too--1:04 each way.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:59 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
And then in the winter, the SF fog moves into the Sacramento / San Joaquin Valley and sits for weeks.
Incorrect. The winter time fog in Sac and elsewhere in the Central Valley does not come from some other location. It is known as Tule Fog, and forms in place, due to radiation of heat from the ground into the cold night sky. During an inversion it builds up and gets trapped, sitting for days. It even can occur in the further inland parts of the Bay Area and other places that get the inversion and get cold at night. Ironically, San Francisco itself almost never gets Tule Fog. The rare exception is when a slight NE wind blows the Tule Fog from the Central Valley out through the Carquinez Straight and out into the Santa Clara Valley / Central Bay / North Bay Valleys Basin.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:25 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I'd still say that quite a few Bay Area "exiles" do enjoy living in the Sacramento area though. One of my very close friends left San Jose for Sac (has lived in Roseville, Citrus Heights and now Antelope) with his wife and daughters about eight years ago and they haven't looked back. I used to visit them about once a month and really got to like the area a lot. I think the whole area is quite underrated in many ways and offers a lot more than people realize, especially when it comes to access to outdoor activities. My father in law left Fremont about ten years ago and has lived in Sacramento, Granite Bay and now Lincoln and he also has no intention of returning to the Bay Area.

I'd say the only drawback of the Sacramento area would be weather, which is subjective. I personally prefer the warmer summers (especially the warm summer nights) over the Bay Area's cooler climate. I'd have no problem living in the Sacramento area if the right job opportunities opened up for my wife and I.
I would have a hard time getting used to those summers. I will say the outdoor activities are under-rated. You do not have to go to the Sierras from Sacramento. The American River Parkway is a great recreation resource there and anyone who lives in a town near I-50 has relatively easy access to it. I have a good friend in that area.

As for me, I prefer milder summers (70's/80's vs. 90's/100). BTW, I also think we need to give credit to the mayor and citizens of Sacramento for keeping the Sacramento Kings there. I was all but sure they would end up in Seattle, but they stayed home.

Still, I would probably choose San Jose over Sacramento as a place to live. Many have pointed to the Sierra getaways from Sacramento as equivalent to the coastal getaways from San Jose. Still, I have never had to pull over to put chains on my tires when heading to Santa Cruz, Monterey, or Morro Bay.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:50 AM

979 posts, read 2,094,015 times
I'm sorry, but I prefer Sacramento over SJ on anyday. SJ may have the wealth but Sac, to me, has character in its trees, rivers, and old town charm. I could never live in SJ. And no one can prove to me that San Jose is better.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:14 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
I'm sorry, but I prefer Sacramento over SJ on anyday. SJ may have the wealth but Sac, to me, has character in its trees, rivers, and old town charm. I could never live in SJ. And no one can prove to me that San Jose is better.
You don't have to be sorry. We're not going to trouble ourselves trying to convince you of anything.
We're too busy enjoying all that we have here in the South Bay.

Cheers! Go Sharks!

Old 12-05-2013, 02:38 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Sac must be a great little town full of real Americans.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:53 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Here's a cookie for you, farmer boy
What's with the snarky comment? Sac. is a decent area to live by most standards and the COL is much less punishing. SJ isn't that great if you are of modest means and are paying an arm and a leg for rent/mortgage....then you don't have the $$ to do all the other fun things.

I prefer SJ but after living in both areas, I can definitely see why some folks would prefer Sac...and it doesn't always boil down to COL issues.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:03 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
What's with the snarky comment?
I like to fight fire with fire. The majority of San Jose folks are too diplomatic when it comes to defending this city.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:40 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
You probably already know that Arco Arena is the main concert venue for Sacramento (especially between May and September with the heat). San Jose has the downtown arena known more for Sharks hockey (forgot the new corporate name...used to be HP), but two other excellent nearby venues are outdoors and even more enjoyable: Shoreline Ampitheater in Mountain View and the Saratoga Mountain Winery. If I could recommend just one of these during your planned two years in the area, it would be the Saratoga Mountain Winery with its great views of the valley along with an intimate concert setting with most seats close to the band. It is worth the splurge. That venue is probably no more than 12-15 miles from downtown San Jose. Sacramento has nothing to match it.

The famous Gilroy Garlic Festival in late July is just 30 miles south and the under-rated, but less crowded and equally enjoyable Morgan Hill Mushroom Festival is only 20 miles south during the Memorial Day weekend.

BTW, I went to Evergreen Valley College and it was virtually a rural area when I attended back in 1980. It has grown, but is still a very safe and pleasant area.

Good luck with your decision!
Sacramento has the following:

Wells Fargo Pavillion - home of the Sacramento Music Circus - Traditional Summer Musicals - theatre in the round - Since 1949. San Jose has nothing to match.

Sacramento Music Festival - going on 40+ years now - mostly in Old Sacramento, Labor Day Weekend, heavy on all types of Jazz music. San Jose has nothing to match.

Sleep Train Arena - home of Sacramento's NBA team - the Sacramento Kings, and touring concerts. - Holds world record for loudest Arena in the world.

Sacramento Sleep Train Amphitheater (Wheatland), 15-30miles from various points in SAC Region, touring concerts.

Sacramento Community Theatre - Broadway Series Musicals throughout the year. - Downtown SAC

Apple Hill - 1/2 hour from Sacramento in Sierra Foothills. Festival, Apple pies, everything made from Apples.

Crocker Art Museum - World-class art museum - Downtown SAC. San Jose has nothing to match.

Sacramento River Cats Ballpark. San Jose has nothing to match.

California International Marathon - One of fastest marathons in the world - Folsom, CA to Downtown Sacramento, CA. San Jose has nothing to match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose