Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 08:24 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagleepark View Post
Yes, but you filtered out everything below a certain comp level. That doesn't mean that lower paid jobs don't exist or aren't filled by somebody. You simply concentrated your search at the high end. Maybe the OP can do that, too, or maybe he'll decide to move with the current offer (or in that same range) that he has.
Of course I filtered out towards the high end, or it wouldn't have made sense for me to make a move. I also used my current compensation and competing offers as leverage, to ensure that I wouldn't be low balled. Unless you're in a desperate situation to leave your job, why wouldn't you do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 08:43 PM

310 posts, read 686,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Of course I filtered out towards the high end, or it wouldn't have made sense for me to make a move. I also used my current compensation and competing offers as leverage, to ensure that I wouldn't be low balled. Unless you're in a desperate situation to leave your job, why wouldn't you do that?
My point being that that's an above average salary that the OP may not be able to get. The OP has neither current compensation nor competing offers.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:12 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
NY metro is less expensive outside of manhattan vs SF bay which is expensive all over.

Sr PM could make 120k or could make 175k, really depends on the role, company. Vast majority will mae the lower end of that range. 125k will go a lot farther in a lot nicer area commutable 45 mins out in NY (Suffolk, southern NJ) vs Bay Area (Concord, Tracy, ?)

Old 09-10-2013, 12:46 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
NY metro is less expensive outside of manhattan vs SF bay which is expensive all over.

Sr PM could make 120k or could make 175k, really depends on the role, company. Vast majority will mae the lower end of that range. 125k will go a lot farther in a lot nicer area commutable 45 mins out in NY (Suffolk, southern NJ) vs Bay Area (Concord, Tracy, ?)
Yes, true. This is what befuddles many Eastern transplants. They are used to prices declining immensely when you hit the burbs. Not true at all here, at least not true in the nice burbs with reasonable schools.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Yes, true. This is what befuddles many Eastern transplants. They are used to prices declining immensely when you hit the burbs. Not true at all here, at least not true in the nice burbs with reasonable schools.
I think one of the reasons is that there are also plenty of jobs in the burbs here, they're not all confined to SF. There are major employers in Oakland, Berkeley, Walnut Creek, Santa Clara, etc. So, any burbs in-between the burbs (lol) are targeted from more than one side, if that makes sense. For instance, Fremont is in-between Oakland and San Jose, so people from both sides looking for cheaper rents/houses will look there. Increases the competition.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,431 times
Like everyone has mentioned there is no cheap "Queens" equivalent type living in the Bay Area. Public transportation isn't as good either. Best you can hope for is to be on the BART or CalTrain line for your work/home.

The only places I can think of would be Gilroy (CalTrain), Hayward, Alameda, Oakland.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:21 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

Let's pretend you spend $200/mo to commute now, and add that to your budget. Here's what you get in San Mateo for 2 bdrm with $2,000 max:

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist
That is a pitiful selection of apartments for under $2k and about half of those are in the part of San Mateo where he probably does not want to live.

Compare to Union City, Newark, Castro Valley, Fremont and even selected parts of Hayward . There are a lot more affordable options! These areas(except for Fremont) are close to the San Mateo Bridge for the commute to San Mateo. Add $5/day bridge toll to the budget too.

Of these areas only Castro Valley & Fremont have excellent schools. Union City and Newark have ok schols and Hayward has horrible schools. However since school starts at age 5 here, you will have some time to find your ideal school situation after you arrive.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:15 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
How much do you pay for commuting now? I think you should add that to your budget.
The OP included the information that he doesn't own a car and uses the subway to get to work. That's $112 for a month pass.

Quote:
Let's pretend you spend $200/mo to commute now, and add that to your budget. Here's what you get in San Mateo for 2 bdrm with $2,000 max:
You forgot to add in the cost of car ownership. For a decent quality used vehicle, that's at least $500/month including purchasing the car, insurance, maintenance/repairs, and fuel. Note that even if you live next door and walk to work, this is a necessary cost to have a remotely decent quality of life almost anywhere in the Bay Area, except parts of San Francisco where the rent premium is even higher than the cost of car ownership.

So now to keep the same budget, you would need a two-bed apartment in an area with good schools for $1500. That's probably somewhere like Gilroy, Livermore, Tracy or Concord. Forget walkability, culture, good restaurants - welcome to suburbia. Transit commutes from these areas to San Mateo are north of 2 hours each way. So you'd probably drive to work, it's only an hour to an hour and a half, depending on traffic, but at least you can see the kid a bit more often. But wait - since you now live in a completely auto-dependent area and are out of the house, with the car, about 11 or 12 hours per day, your wife needs a car too. Now you have the expenses of owning 2 cars ($1000/month) and would need an $1000 2-bed apartment with good schools to break even.

You can see the downward spiral forming. Bottom line, raise your budget and live on the Peninsula or at the furthest, the Tri City (Fremont/Union City/Newark) area. And forget about finding anything remotely similar to Queens in California.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:53 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
The OP included the information that he doesn't own a car and uses the subway to get to work. That's $112 for a month pass.

You forgot to add in the cost of car ownership. For a decent quality used vehicle, that's at least $500/month including purchasing the car, insurance, maintenance/repairs, and fuel. Note that even if you live next door and walk to work, this is a necessary cost to have a remotely decent quality of life almost anywhere in the Bay Area, except parts of San Francisco where the rent premium is even higher than the cost of car ownership.

So now to keep the same budget, you would need a two-bed apartment in an area with good schools for $1500. That's probably somewhere like Gilroy, Livermore, Tracy or Concord. Forget walkability, culture, good restaurants - welcome to suburbia. Transit commutes from these areas to San Mateo are north of 2 hours each way. So you'd probably drive to work, it's only an hour to an hour and a half, depending on traffic, but at least you can see the kid a bit more often. But wait - since you now live in a completely auto-dependent area and are out of the house, with the car, about 11 or 12 hours per day, your wife needs a car too. Now you have the expenses of owning 2 cars ($1000/month) and would need an $1000 2-bed apartment with good schools to break even.

You can see the downward spiral forming. Bottom line, raise your budget and live on the Peninsula or at the furthest, the Tri City (Fremont/Union City/Newark) area. And forget about finding anything remotely similar to Queens in California.
Spot on.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:14 PM

563 posts, read 807,082 times
You are not going to find New York here outside of San Francisco. This is a land of suburbia. It's not necessarily the standard of living you can maintain, but the lifestyle. While New Urbanism is a popular theory among government planners, it hasn't resulted in massive changes. If your willing to make the move, and have an experience here, go ahead and do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose