Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 02:19 PM

155 posts, read 274,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
May be true in general, but there are always exceptions. I don't own but I have a nice net worth....nothing special by SV standards...but a lot more than a lot of people of my age & income level.
A lot of liquidity is a form of ownership
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 02:21 PM

Default Fortune cookie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Was that inside a fortune cookie you just ate?
No, but you can put it inside a fortune cookie and put it where it will do the most good.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:17 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrooks View Post
A lot of liquidity is a form of ownership
I think so, but it wasn't clear from your earlier post whether you meant home ownership, or something else.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I think so, but it wasn't clear from your earlier post whether you meant home ownership, or something else.
Mystical, I'm pretty fast on my feet about just what I mean.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Currently I rent a 1 bedroom apartment for around 2k$ per month.

I have around 150k saved. Let's say next year when I enter the market I have 200k at hand.

My annual salary is around 130k. Company stock is doing well, so total income before tax would be around 200k, but stock market is highly unstable so really can't predict the future.

I am 30 and single. I pay A LOT for tax.

I am not very comfortable in investing my money other than real estate. But I also am not sure that the current housing market is a good entry point.

On the one hand I don't like the fact that I am throwing away so much money on rent, and totally at the mercy of the landlords. On the other hand, buying a place is a long term commitment, and would be less flexible in case my financial situations or priorities change. Advice?
I happen to be a firm believer in home ownership, especially in a situation like you appear to be in. At least I would start looking to see what is out there. The market is coming back, but interest rates are starting to climb, so what you can get today for your buck might be a lot less in a few years. Why not take some, but not all of your $150 to $200,000 and use for a down payment. Keep the rest for a rainy day or other investments.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Mystical, I'm pretty fast on my feet about just what I mean.
Well, it wasn't clear to me.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:23 PM

Default A need for too much clarity

Quote:
Well, it wasn't clear to me.
Mystical, you insist on clarity. Loosen up. Where there is less clarity is where it gets interesting.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:36 PM

Default Try this out

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
OK. Good. A lot of people tend to think that vested stock = cash and that the longer they leave it in the more it will be. So they're basically gambling in ignorance.

Normally I would say just keep renting if you're not into owning a home. But at 2k a month (and climbing) you're probably better off just buying a little condo or something. Just be careful to not get lured in by a bunch of stainless steel and other finishings and wind up over-paying.

As for general investments, there are plenty of mutual funds and CD's which are hardly any more risky than savings, as long as you have some time to let them mature. As for the long-term stuff, you can do what you want, but it often makes sense to leave them really aggressive as long as you don't plan on needing them within 10 years or more. Many of my funds went way under in 07-08 and are now back up higher than ever. It was a little scary to look at for a while, but a little patience saved me a lot of money, as opposed to just flushing them out of panic and then putting them in something less likely to bounce back quickly. If you look at your house as a way to make a bunch of money, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. That's not to say that it definitely won't, but it's just a slow-moving market right now. On the other hand, if you look at it as a nice place to live for a fair price, you cant really lose. It's been said before on here, but I'll say it again: Housing is primarily an expense not a source of income.

You buy a duplex. Live in one half and rent the other. Get one with garages. The rental pays for your loan. You save bucks in rent you don't pay. So in that respect it's a win-win. All the above a trade-off for low rent living shoulder to shoulder with your renter. But it's frugal and it should work. Owning a duplex or triplex or fourplex is a near-guaranteed hedge against economic hazards.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Mystical, you insist on clarity. Loosen up. Where there is less clarity is where it gets interesting.
Eh, yes. I like clarity & will not apologize for it.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Eh, yes. I like clarity & will not apologize for it.
No need for apologies, but consider: clarity is akin to consistency. "A foolish consistency...."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: