Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times

Advertisements

LOL! I love this stuff :-)

Well, if a neighboring city of NYC became technically bigger by whatever measure, would you then start calling that city The Big Apple? Then NYC would be, what, the Little Apple?

It's tradition. Good luck changing that. There are a lot of areas around the world now with thriving tech industries. When does Santa Clara County no longer qualify to be Silicon Valley?

By the way, as a funny aside, when i lived in Davis, we called Sacramento - The Big Tomato.

If you ever lived up there during tomato harvest season, you'd know why. Smashed tomatoes on every freeway offramp :-) Before I knew the ropes, I actually followed a tomato truck too closely off a curvy freeway offramp, only to end up with a mountain of tomatoes dumped onto the hood of my car! Hello! What a mess!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 08:59 PM

8 posts, read 6,629 times
I want to travel to these beautiful places

Old 10-22-2013, 09:01 PM

8 posts, read 6,629 times
Idont think big corporation headquarters do not make a big city

Old 10-23-2013, 12:50 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Not really - where you have both The City and South Bay in the title, you're going to heat up the old rivalry, just in semantics alone.
IMHO, only if you are an idiot. I really don't care which is "better" or "bigger" or whatever. Why would anybody with normal self-esteem care one way or another? Do we judge ourselves by what city we live in? Which one is "better"? Seriously?

I go to the city (yes, it's been called that for over 50 years, get used to it) when I want to see Beach Blanket Babylon. I go to SJ when I want to see the SJ car show or skate on ice outdoors during Christmas. I go to Palo Alto to see Rodin sculptures at Stanford. I go (well, went, it's pretty lame now) to Berkeley to visit Lawrence hall of science (I haven't gone since my kids grew up). I go to the Rosecrucian (?sp?) museum to look at mummies and Sanskrit tablets (it's actually really neat - if you haven't gone, it's worth the visit). I go to Mountain View to walk in the baylands preserve (as well as to SJ's Alviso park, which is pretty neat, especially if you walk all the way out to drawbridge).

Grow up, people.

My Humble Opinion. (4th generation Californian here, whose grandparents survived the earthquake in '06.)

Old 10-23-2013, 09:41 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeakandDizzy View Post
NoMoreSnowForMe is right. I grew up in the South Bay. We always referred to SF as " The City". All of my family in the Bay Area refers to SF as " The City". Even though San Jose has a larger population now, SF always had a larger and more vibrant downtown, large public spaces ( eg. Golden Gate Park), professional sports ( Giants/49ers, before the Sharks) and a national reputation. When I was in college ( back in the dark ages- pre PC) if I met someone from back east I always referenced my home town as about 50 miles south of SF. That way they had a frame of reference.
Glad we've evolved beyond your kind. No longer will the valley be mindless colonists. Kids actually grow up with pride and a sense of place, and it shows more now. Goodbye, Mayberry.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:00 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,068,851 times
SF is called that only for historical reasons. Back in the 1700s, SF was literally the only major concentration of western civilization for a radius of hundreds of miles. You didn't see another city until you got to Los Angeles. But now, with the rise of Silicon Valley, and the dramatic increase of population here since the 1970s, that isn't even remotely true.

San Jose has 30+ percent more population, and a far greater influence on the nations economy.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:29 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Glad we've evolved beyond your kind. No longer will the valley be mindless colonists. Kids actually grow up with pride and a sense of place, and it shows more now. Goodbye, Mayberry.
What the hell? Your kind? Mindless colonists? LMAO! We didn't grow up with pride and a sense of place?

You're the one who sounds like he's from Mayberry. We don't like your kind around here, boy...

Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What the hell? Your kind? Mindless colonists? LMAO! We didn't grow up with pride and a sense of place?

You're the one who sounds like he's from Mayberry. We don't like your kind around here, boy...

So you've expressed indignation and thrown my comment back at me, but you have yet to explain how it even applies.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:06 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Do we judge ourselves by what city we live in?
Maybe, maybe not. But other people do. So we answer them. There are discernible patterns by which people of certain jurisdictions do so, which is a rather fascinating study.

Certainly these little rivalries can get a bit silly, but then again, also can be fun. Nothing wrong with standing up for and showing pride for your town.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:36 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Maybe, maybe not. But other people do. So we answer them. There are discernible patterns by which people of certain jurisdictions do so, which is a rather fascinating study.

Certainly these little rivalries can get a bit silly, but then again, also can be fun. Nothing wrong with standing up for and showing pride for your town.
Well, considering the Brian Stow incident, and the Dodger supporter who got killed in SF several weeks ago, I think that "standing up for and showing pride for your town" can definitely be wrong. Very, very wrong at times. Personally, I think arguing over which city is 'better' is just plain silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose