Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 08:37 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,906 times

Advertisements

My brother's family (one 8 year old child + wife) live in Sunnyvale. I live out of state. I wanted to buy them something for Christmas that they can enjoy as a family. For example, in past years I bought them things like membership to the San Francisco zoo, Exploratorium tickets, and tix to family concerts by the SF Symphony. I don't know the South Bay area as well as SF, but was hoping you guys could suggest some things closer to them (they think SF is far...) that I could give them this year?

She's a pretty normal, bright 2nd grader who loves Harry Potter. Her parents are techie types.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 10:26 PM

23,534 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Buy them tickets to Great America Park (won't reopen until spring though) which is close by in Santa Clara.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:08 AM

110 posts, read 269,971 times
Happy Hollow Zoo, its a great day out and not far from Sunnyvale

Or

Day passes to Monterey Aquarium, she wont see Harry Potter but will see Hairy Otter

Old 11-10-2013, 12:22 AM

240 posts, read 478,258 times
Gilroy Gardens - way more pleasant than Great America and they're expanding again in 2014.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:28 AM

Thanks for all of these great suggestions!

I had actually forgotten about amusement parks, and had never heard of this zoo. Monterey is also a wonderful idea.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:32 AM

23,534 posts, read 24,022,219 times
For a great zoo experience, try Oakland Zoo. It is definitely "kid friendly". I went a few weeks ago and was pretty impressed.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicydreamt View Post
Gilroy Gardens - way more pleasant than Great America and they're expanding again in 2014.

I was just reading about this park, which got many great reviews. Do you think it is ok for an 8 year old? Is it more for younger kids? Forgive me if that was a foolish question, but several good reviews talked about how it was a nice place for their 2-3 year old.

Her parents are a little over-protective, so this kind of park might be more up their alley then Great America. But I wanted to make sure it keeps her interest.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:39 PM

240 posts, read 478,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I was just reading about this park, which got many great reviews. Do you think it is ok for an 8 year old? Is it more for younger kids? Forgive me if that was a foolish question, but several good reviews talked about how it was a nice place for their 2-3 year old.

Her parents are a little over-protective, so this kind of park might be more up their alley then Great America. But I wanted to make sure it keeps her interest.
We've been going every year since our kid's been two, and this past Halloween (he just turned six) for the first time could ride a teenager-grade roller coaster. There's another attraction that he cannot attend yet, where you're sitting alone in chairs that spin around in the air. The petting zoo (you're actually petting peacocks, a boa, sheep, and even lift chicken with your hands) was a highlight, so was the Ferris wheel and the Halloween-zombie-filled maze (avoid if you cannot stand the sight of blood!). His mom loves the fifties car ride and so does he (he wanted to ride alone). If we had more time we'd have strolled around the several manicured gardens or ridden on a duck-boat on the center lake. Next year they're augmenting it with a water-park section.
It's true it's a perfect place for a 2-3 year old, as several attractions' thrill is adjusted to that age level. But there's enough diversity that an 8 year old and his parents can enjoy a few hours of fun, at least 2-3 times over the year. And not having to wait 2 hours for each ride is priceless, really. Plus if you subscribe to Travelzoo and bid your time, you can get a pretty good discount on the entrance fee. We paid $72 for three plus parking for a one-day visit.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:57 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
The children's discovery museum in San Jose is a good place to have a membership to as long as the 8-year-old doesn't think it's just for 'little kids' by now. Also, if the other choices are Great America, Gilroy Gardens and the Monterey Aquarium, the children's museum may seem a bit lackluster by comparison. Or you get them passes + movie tickets to the tech museum/imax theater in downtown SJ.

Otherwise just by them a state/county parks pass and encourage them to get out into nature instead of just fake manmade stuff. (at the risk of becoming the 'boring uncle'). Zoos are good because they're kind of the best of both worlds, but it sounds like you already did that.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:36 PM

865 posts, read 1,827,669 times
My kids love Gilroy gardens and they are 8 and up. I think it's very age-appropriate. Plus they do something special for the holidays (I've never gone since our passes always expire just before!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose