Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 06:31 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times

Advertisements

A good article regarding San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed & his pension reform proposal:

Chuck Reed: A Liberal Mugged by Pension Reality - WSJ.com

It begins:

San Jose, Calif., was the richest major city in the country last year, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's survey of median household incomes. More than 100 tech-related firms including Adobe Systems, Cisco, PayPal and eBay are based in the self-proclaimed capital of Silicon Valley.

Yet in Mayor Chuck Reed's view from the 18th floor of city hall, San Jose in recent years has been dead broke and slouching toward bankruptcy, propelled by ruinous public-pension obligations. Over the past decade, he says, the city has shed 25% of its workforce, including 20% of its police department, to cover soaring retirement costs....

Click the hyperlink above to read the rest of the article. You don't need a subscription to the WSJ.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 12-01-2013 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 09:26 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,315 times
Well, San Jose has it's own pension system (not part of Calpers), and has been a bit more pessimistic about ROI, which is why San Jose has a pension liability problem that other places supposedly do not.

tough to say what will happen, however, I'm comfortable with the notion of unilateral modification of contracts, and I'm also not entirely convinced that our budget problem can be blamed on middle class government employees.

I know Reed is pushing a proposal on the state level, but I suspect the contract clause will inhibit that route (he's already lost in court). Will the threat of bankruptcy be sufficient? Looking to Vallejo, bankruptcy wasn't really the magic bullet people thought it would be.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:51 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,086 times
I definitely like the idea of reducing the amount of police officers. The whole police industry is growing out of control, imo.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:46 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
I definitely like the idea of reducing the amount of police officers. The whole police industry is growing out of control, imo.

Well, I don't know if you would feel the same way if you needed one and couldn't get a cop to respond in a timely manner. San Jose actually isn't that heavily "policed" in terms of LEOs ratio to total population.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:55 PM

30,893 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
A good article regarding San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed & his pension reform proposal:

Chuck Reed: A Liberal Mugged by Pension Reality - WSJ.com

It begins:

San Jose, Calif., was the richest major city in the country last year, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's survey of median household incomes. More than 100 tech-related firms including Adobe Systems, Cisco, PayPal and eBay are based in the self-proclaimed capital of Silicon Valley.

Yet in Mayor Chuck Reed's view from the 18th floor of city hall, San Jose in recent years has been dead broke and slouching toward bankruptcy, propelled by ruinous public-pension obligations. Over the past decade, he says, the city has shed 25% of its workforce, including 20% of its police department, to cover soaring retirement costs....

Click the hyperlink above to read the rest of the article. You don't need a subscription to the WSJ.
Yes, you do need a subscription to read the article. Annoying!

Old 12-06-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, I don't know if you would feel the same way if you needed one and couldn't get a cop to respond in a timely manner. San Jose actually isn't that heavily "policed" in terms of LEOs ratio to total population.
Agreed.

Believe me, I have no love for the greedy cops (more specifically, their greedy union), but SJs police force was already pretty lean even before the recession.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:12 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Agreed.

Believe me, I have no love for the greedy cops (more specifically, their greedy union), but SJs police force was already pretty lean even before the recession.
According to a recent article in the SJ Merc, their salary was near the bottom of south-bay police forces, but their total compensation was near the top (once retirement and health benefits and other stuff was added).

Old 12-16-2013, 08:23 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post

Exactly!

However, it isn't only the P.D. but all city workers. Many S.J. residents don't like handing big benefits to city workers when they are having trouble finding jobs of their own. The voters have already spoken, now they need to be heard. The private industries employees can't keep going back to the tax payers to get more benefits when they feel abused. Our tax dollars need to be spent on providing shelter for the homeless, libraries, and health care for the elderly. The city workers have plenty of income and benefits so they need to consider the effect of their demands on the general public.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
According to a recent article in the SJ Merc, their salary was near the bottom of south-bay police forces, but their total compensation was near the top (once retirement and health benefits and other stuff was added).
There 'ya go. You want the benefits, you get less salary. This is life. Many a cop (or at least their union) is not into financial reality, and that has been a problem for a long time.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:51 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,620 times
Presumably if the police is making that much they must have a lot of negotiating power. Or they artificially limit supply of people that can apply to be a police officer. I know it is a dangerous job, and with cost of living around here, maybe police tends to move away? Most businesses would balk at providing a pension these days, and would rather do 401k, or 403b or something similar. If pensions are a big problem the city should move people to defined contribution plans and away from defined benefit plans, we can't guarantee return on investment after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: