Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 12:08 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
Yosemite may be a good choice - I'm not sure on winter there but I believe there are some lodges open. Getting out of California, the high country of Colorado is mostly a lock for snow.
Yosemite Lodge will be open, and so will the Awhanee. They're both in the valley, which is only at about 4000 feet so it's a gamble as to whether you'll have now or not, although the setting is extremely beautiful either way. If not you'll be driving up to crane flat (or badger pass on the other side) to see any snow. That's why I suggested Groveland or Pine Mountain Lake, because it's cheaper, away from the crowds, and actually a shorter drive if there's not snow right there.

As for Colorado, yes you will certainly have snow, especially in the high country. In fact, another big pounding is due tonight and tomorrow. But it can be logistically difficult if you're not on some kind of package that flies you right into a ski town, and pretty expensive either way compared to just driving up to the sierras from SJ.

I still think Tahoe is a good option too, but I would like to clarify that is is NOT the closest option for driving from SJ. That would be either Dodge Ridge (staying in or near Pinecrest) or the Crane Flat entrance to Yosemite (staying in or near Groveland). But most of Tahoe is only about an hour further, has freeway options, and a lot more hotels and other amenities once you get there. But it is a very popular ski destination and when the traffic on I-80 (or 50) is bad, it's really bad. But that would only be the case if it happens to be right in the middle of a big storm or at peak travel time right before xmas.

So you can see that you have a lot of options. Please let us know which one you choose in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 02:15 PM

493 posts, read 783,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
To set the record straight ...

In terms of distance (and sometimes, travel time), it would be the high country directly east from the Bay Area that is the closest snow. For example, Hwy 4 and Hwy 108. These lead respectively to Bear Valley and surrounds, and, to Dodge Ridge and surrounds. Also just beyond the orbit of "TA-HOE" is of course Kirkwood, accessed directly via Hwy 88. All of these options are on the Western Slope which means no passes to cross.
Wasnt the op in san jose tho? depending on the location in santa clara county, china peak is actually a shorter drive than dodge ridge or bear valley

OP, the best thing to do is keep your eyes on the weather, this is suppose to be the time of year when the storms hit, but we're entering into a 3rd year of prolonged drought conditions during our rain/snow season.

if you start to hear about storms and snow levels around 6000 feet, the easiest way to see the snow would be to head up toward those resorts BAH and i mentioned, but you shouldnt have to go all the way to the resort, you'd most likely see snow at lower elevations and tehre are places where families go and park and go sledding and stuff, sounds like what youre interested in. unless we get real lucky and snow levels drop to 4500' or lower then your wife can just look up at mt hamilton, and drive up there after the storms are over (they close the road down when its snowing)

Old 12-03-2013, 05:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Soda Springs is the closest resort to San Jose.
Not at all. Closest is Dodge Ridge on hwy 108, followed very closely by Bear Valley on hwy 4. I'd recommend staying in Arnold (at 4000') and making a short trip up the hill to snow. China Peak closer? My goodness, doesn't anyone have a map?

Since all of Santa Clara County would have to exit the Bay Area by 580 to get to the Sierra (OK a case could be made for 152, but it wouldn't be a rational one) Dodge and Bear are without a doubt in my mind, much closer timewise than anywhere else.

You could also take the train from SAC to Truckee.

Last edited by DMenscha; 12-03-2013 at 05:41 PM..

Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Not at all. Closest is Dodge Ridge on hwy 108, followed very closely by Bear Valley on hwy 4. I'd recommend staying in Arnold (at 4000') and making a short trip up the hill to snow.
That's all true, and the suggestion to stay in Arnold is especially good. But given some of the recent posts, I would like to remind all that the OP is NOT looking for a ski resort. Just snow. In fact he prefers to NOT stay at a ski resort if possible, but still wants a good shot at having plenty of snow around xmas.

OP, there are a lot of little towns, like Arnold, Groveland, Sonora, etc… where you could stay at a lower elev. thus avoiding a lot of hassle on your long travel day and then have easy day drives to snow when you can be more flexible. I would tend toward such places for the sake of cost, crowds and simplicity. The only drawback is that you probably won;t be lodging in snow-covered alpine conditions.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:45 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
But if you can't get out of SJ for snow there's always:

Old 12-03-2013, 05:59 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,521 times
Quote:
Not at all. Closest is Dodge Ridge on hwy 108, followed very closely by Bear Valley on hwy 4. I'd recommend staying in Arnold (at 4000') and making a short trip up the hill to snow. China Peak closer? My goodness, doesn't anyone have a map?

Since all of Santa Clara County would have to exit the Bay Area by 580 to get to the Sierra (OK a case could be made for 152, but it wouldn't be a rational one) Dodge and Bear are without a doubt in my mind, much closer timewise than anywhere else.

Train may actually be an excellent suggestion for OP. No driving in the snow, and usually trains navigate the snow just fine. I'm not sure where exactly the stop is in Truckee, and I've not been to Truckee myself, but I hear it's a neat place with a nice downtown area and whatnot.

If OP doesn't care about getting down to the Lake and is up for a few days hanging around downtown Truckee, hitting the shops and restaurants and lounging in the hotel, the train may indeed be a good way to go.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:06 PM

493 posts, read 783,141 times
Quote:

I'm not getting paid enough to tell lies, not here at least. i only speak the truth. Look up HWY 152 on the map next time and itll show the way

the trains a good idea, idk'ed that it stopped in truckee. the OP could actually catch the train from sj all the way to SAC too

Old 12-07-2013, 11:30 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorvitz View Post
I'll look into Tahoe City. Perhaps there are other hotels there too. I figured there had to be other (less pricey or in-demand) towns away from the ski lifts. Would Tahoe City be snow-covered around this time or do I need to drive to a higher elevation?

CO is tempting (for the beauty/certain snow) but I hate the idea of driving. For one, I'm lazy after a flight, even a short one. But also worry about my ability to drive in snow. It wasn't great in college in Boston 15 years ago---god knows what it would be like nowadays :-)

I was thinking at least Park City I can fly right in and cab it. But the prices (like CO) are outrageous in late Dec. Boise seemed another option but flight ain't cheap (though hotels are).
Just drive up to Lake Tahoe. CO, UT or OR would all require way more driving.

Make sure your car has good all weather tires. You don't need chains. Drive slow and take it very easy. Only the last 50 miles of your trip will even be in the mountains. Worst case scenario, if the conditions are so bad you don't feel comfortable continuing over the mountains, just stop. That will mean you have found your snow.

There will be plenty of snow every where around there.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:07 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Just drive up to Lake Tahoe. CO, UT or OR would all require way more driving.

Make sure your car has good all weather tires. You don't need chains. Drive slow and take it very easy. Only the last 50 miles of your trip will even be in the mountains. Worst case scenario, if the conditions are so bad you don't feel comfortable continuing over the mountains, just stop. That will mean you have found your snow.

There will be plenty of snow every where around there.
Very bad advice on chains.

Regardless of whether you "need" chains, CalTrans will require you to chain up if there is even slush on the roads. And they often have CHP there to check. Coming from the East Coast where no one ever uses chains and driving in light amounts of snow is not that big a deal, I agree this is somewhat ludicrous. But it is what it is - if you don't have the chains they'll turn you around and send you home. I guess it makes sense given CA is a place where a half inch of rain makes major weather headlines and makes everyone go insane. My supposition is CalTrans assume - probably rightly - that most Californians can't drive in any kind of weather that isn't sunshine and thus requires chains as a default.

I personally would recommend that anyone traveling through the Sierra in winter - regardless of weather reports - carry and know how to use chains just in case.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:15 AM

833 posts, read 1,198,948 times
Just wait a few weeks. There will be snow in Fremont. Mission peaks is the name. It's certainly cold enough this year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose