Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:48 PM

140 posts, read 238,201 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this so apologies in advance if not.

I'm looking for a short snow vacation from beautiful San Jose. My wife (Taiwanese) has never seen snow. I was born in Boston but it's been a while for me. Can anyone recommend a car (ideal) or short flight to where we can see snow for Christmas? If not falling, at least on the ground. We don't ski, so looking for a village to relax in a nice hotel, soak in the views, shop, etc. for 3-4 days.

I'd thought about Tahoe (never been) but I believe snow isn't likely then and in event there is a storm, requires chains and a makes for a nasty final leg of the drive. I checked into driving to OR but seems similarly no part of state with more than 30% chance of a white Xmas. Maybe a (pricey) trip to Colorado is the only option.

Thanks very much for any ideas!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 11:05 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,040,356 times
Tahoe is your best bet ... there should be snow by Xmas.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:36 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,358,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorvitz View Post
Maybe a (pricey) trip to Colorado is the only option.
Airfare to Denver is usually pretty reasonable because it's a major hub and it's only a 2.5 hour flight from SJ. I can usually get RT to SJ for around $300 (or less), but it will cost more right around xmas. Also, you're flying into Denver at that point so you'll be looking at renting a car and driving another 2 hours (or more) from there, and then the resorts are expensive to stay at. You can do pretty well with some ski packages, but I would not recommend coming all the way out just to see snow.

Tahoe is a good option and the drive is pretty easy (you can take I-80 if you prefer freeway most of the way) as long as it's not in the middle of a blizzard. Another option would be to fly to reno and then take a hotel shuttle or commercial bus up the hill to one of the towns and/or resorts around Tahoe. Or, Dodge Ridge is a bit closer and it may have snow by then (doesn't yet). Or you can get a vacation rental at a place like Pine Mountain Lake west of Yosemite and hope it snows while you're there. It probably won't but Yosemite's crane flat entrance is a 30 minute drive and they will likely have some snow there and/or on the road to Tuolumne by then. There are many other options, all in the sierras or further east (the Rockies). Or you can just wait and see if it snows up at Mt Hamilton again this year by February or so and drive up that way from SJ within an hour, assuming the road stays open.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:52 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,851,309 times
Soda Springs is the closest resort to San Jose. Should have plenty of snow by Xmas. You won't really need chains unless it's snowing on the day of the drive. Of all my driving over the years to Tahoe for boarding, I only had to chain up twice.

You can also try going north to Redding, and drive over the mountain to Burney Falls. I was there several years ago in late October, and the snow up there is gorgeous! Easy to drive on as well as the roads were all sweeped up.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Airfare to Denver is usually pretty reasonable because it's a major hub and it's only a 2.5 hour flight from SJ. I can usually get RT to SJ for around $300 (or less), but it will cost more right around xmas. Also, you're flying into Denver at that point so you'll be looking at renting a car and driving another 2 hours (or more) from there, and then the resorts are expensive to stay at. You can do pretty well with some ski packages, but I would not recommend coming all the way out just to see snow.

Tahoe is a good option and the drive is pretty easy (you can take I-80 if you prefer freeway most of the way) as long as it's not in the middle of a blizzard. Another option would be to fly to reno and then take a hotel shuttle or commercial bus up the hill to one of the towns and/or resorts around Tahoe. Or, Dodge Ridge is a bit closer and it may have snow by then (doesn't yet). Or you can get a vacation rental at a place like Pine Mountain Lake west of Yosemite and hope it snows while you're there. It probably won't but Yosemite's crane flat entrance is a 30 minute drive and they will likely have some snow there and/or on the road to Tuolumne by then. There are many other options, all in the sierras or further east (the Rockies). Or you can just wait and see if it snows up at Mt Hamilton again this year by February or so and drive up that way from SJ within an hour, assuming the road stays open.
Oh cool...I'll try Tahoe. As long as there's likely to be snow on the ground, I'll risk that there's no heavy snow falling (thus cannot drive). Guessing the drive is about 4 hours, though perhaps will be rough traffic 12/22 week.

Is there a nice resort/hotel you can recommend? Since we don't ski (or board) just something easily accessible to restaurants or wine bars to soak in the atmosphere.

Thank you all for the awesome, fast replies.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:00 PM

Is Park City UT an option? Appears there's a 2-hour direct flight from SJC. To the other poster's comment, I'd imagine flights and hotels would be exorbitant for Xmas week.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:08 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,791,648 times
Tahoe would be the first choice, but there are also flights from San Jose to Mammoth Lakes...

Cheap Flights from San Jose (SJC) to Mammoth Lakes (MMH) on Orbitz

Utah is also quite nice
Home - Ski Utah - Skiing & Snowboarding Vacations

Old 12-02-2013, 02:38 PM

I looked into Mammoth Lakes but no non-stops (only from San Diego or LAX). Also checked out Bend, OR but seems snow not certain by Xmas and also tough driving conditions to get up there if it does.

Tahoe may be best choice...would love any hotel recommendations as searching online seems to produce either 400+ /night or sub-100 (guessing crappy) plus I don't know which would be in a "main" area where we could at least walk to a few restaurants.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:41 PM

Sorry I also missed your comment on UT. I'll see if any half-decent package deals for Park City. I probably should be patient and wait for a less busy time but given that my (new) employer has 12/21-1/1 off, I got the bug to travel.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:19 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,358,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorvitz View Post
Is there a nice resort/hotel you can recommend? Since we don't ski (or board) just something easily accessible to restaurants or wine bars to soak in the atmosphere.
If you're not planning on skiing I recommend staying away from the ski resorts. Tahoe City is a fun, non-pretentious little town on the west shore with restaurants, nice bars, a scenic river (the head of the Truckee is there) and of course the Lake. We stayed at the Pepper Tree Inn when we were there about 5 years ago (summertime), which had a great location, close to restaurants, a lakefront park, and the rest of the town. It seemed pretty nice to us, even though it's one of the cheaper places and doesn't have the greatest online reviews at this time. A vacation rental might be a great way to go if you want to stay more than a night or two and don't mind making your own beds.

One other thing... If you do decide to come to CO for your 'snow' vacation, which I don't necessarily recommend unless you really just want to see CO and can afford a transport-included package... We have already gotten some decent snowfall in the high country around most of the resort areas, with plenty more in the very near future. My favorite ski town, bar none, is Crested Butte, but it's also one of the harder ones to get to if you don't live here. There are plenty of more easily-accessible ones along I-70 as well, they just tend to be more crowded and expensive. But then again, since you're not looking to ski, there are some other great, less crowded (and of course cheaper) options away from the resorts. Ouray is possibly the most scenic town in all the the lower 48 states, especially in the winter, but it's not very easy to get to, especially from DIA in a snowstorm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose