Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 10,973 times

Advertisements

I recently got a job in san jose and I am currently living in sacramento. I can't move out there yet but I do plan on it when my lease is up next year. I was wondering what is the best way to commute out there from sacramento? I would like to take public transportation because I feel like it is more cost effective....thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 11:05 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _beebees_ View Post
I recently got a job in san jose and I am currently living in sacramento. I can't move out there yet but I do plan on it when my lease is up next year. I was wondering what is the best way to commute out there from sacramento? I would like to take public transportation because I feel like it is more cost effective....thoughts??
The only way to commute is to rent a room for weekdays and go back to Sacramento on Fridays. If you take the Amtrak train you will be on the train for 6+ hours roundtrip per day at a cost of $80/day. Also if you leave Sacramento on the 7 am Capital Corridor line you will get to San Jose after 10 am.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:19 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,105 times
I second the "get a room for weekdays" suggestion - it will be cheaper than commuting.

I'd see if your new employer has a 'bulletin board'-type forum where requests can be posted. Something along the lines of "stuck in a lease in Sacramento for 3 more months, looking to rent a couch or futon or room several nights a week from a co-worker, short-term". If you could arrive at work later on Mon mornings, you could sleep in Sac Fri/Sat/Sun nights, and drive down Mon morning (hopefully after the morning commute, if you could start at 10:30 a.m. and stay until 7:30-8 p.m.).

Old 12-07-2013, 06:05 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I like the Amtrak Capitol Corridor train. I just went to their website and found there's a 521 train that leaves Sacto at 4:30 a.m., arrives at San Jose station at 7:38. I put in a Monday date.

Here's the website:

Capitol Corridor Trains :: Route And Schedules :: Trip Planner

A monthly pass is $640, which if you take the train 20 times (4 weeks x 5 days a week = 20), that works out to $32/day. That's not bad. Plus, the train has wireless internet. And you could have a beer :-)

Capitol Corridor Trains :: Tickets

http://www.capitolcorridor.org/inclu...es_6.12.13.pdf

There's also a rewards program:

https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/

And, you may even be able to get a discount using your AAA card. I used to get a discount with my AAA card, but it's been a long time. Worth checking out, anyway.

EDIT: Just found the AAA info - can't use that discount on multi-ride tickets.

Also found page regarding the free wifi on board:

http://www.capitolcorridor.org/on_board/wifi.php

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 12-07-2013 at 06:21 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 04:07 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,733 times
Capitol Corridor is the only 100% public transit option. There are three stops that might be relevant depending on where your job is: Great America (in Santa Clara but accessible to the Tasman/North First area of San Jose), Santa Clara University, and San Jose Diridon. The most efficient way to get from the train station to your job is to bring your bike. There are also shuttles at Great America, and light rail/bus at Diridon.

There is another option that is 2/3 public transit I have occasionally thought of, which is driving to Lathrop and taking the ACE train from there. It's 2 hours on the train and an hour of traffic-free reverse commute driving. This may be preferable because: 1) ACE is more reasonable ($316 month pass), 2) parking at Lathrop is free, parking at Sacramento Depot is $80/month, 3) ACE runs more frequently, 4) ACE has a shuttle system from Great America that goes all over Silicon Valley, and is timed to meet the trains (if you take Capitol Corridor and want to use the shuttles you have to wait an extra 15 minutes each direction), and finally 5) it's faster.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:29 PM

493 posts, read 783,141 times
speak with whoever you signed your lease with and explain your situation and ask to explore your options, that commute would be a major drain

Old 12-10-2013, 11:47 PM

865 posts, read 1,827,478 times
ITA, try to get out of that lease and get a room from a co-worker in the mean-time. We wanted out of a lease 6 months early last year, we ended up paying for one extra month we didn't use the place but the owner was able to rent it within that month and for more than we were paying so it was win-win. If you don't want to risk "double rent," though, then definitely just a cheap room is the way I would go, until it's re-rented. I'm not sure how fast the market in Sac moves compared to here.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:43 AM

860 posts, read 2,204,729 times
That would be insane to do that as a daily commute. I grew up near San Jose where I still have friends and family and now live in Sacramento for work. I "commute" between Sac and SJ one or two weekends a month, usually leaving on a Friday evening after work and returning on Sunday. From Sac I would normally take 80-680-880 to get to SJ. But on the return trip I would take 880-680-580 onto 205 before hitting I-5N. That way I would avoid the toll, but the distance and time is almost the same as taking 680N to 80E.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:05 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,798 times
How much would breaking your lease actually cost? The landlord has an obligation to make a good faith effort to rent out the property if you leave.

Further, being Sacramento, how much does the rent actually cost? It might just be easier to swallow the cost once you compute the cost and time associated with commuting.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:09 AM

6,900 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
That would be insane to do that as a daily commute. I grew up near San Jose where I still have friends and family and now live in Sacramento for work. I "commute" between Sac and SJ one or two weekends a month, usually leaving on a Friday evening after work and returning on Sunday. From Sac I would normally take 80-680-880 to get to SJ. But on the return trip I would take 880-680-580 onto 205 before hitting I-5N. That way I would avoid the toll, but the distance and time is almost the same as taking 680N to 80E.
I have friends and family in Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, and the Silver Creek/south hills area of San Jose, and my partner commutes once every 2wks to Mountain View.

We take the same route, the I-5 route adds about 10miles, but saves you $5 a trip. Prefer the 680 route though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose