Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:58 AM

681 posts, read 2,913,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Lee View Post
........I had no idea it was so complicated!.......
I know it seems "complicated" if you've always had dealers handle the paper work for you before, but many of those questions - which are usually covered on most new car credit applications - come into play when analyzing your original query.

I think CA insurance rates vary by ZIP code, but the area you mentioned probably has a fairly high rating anyway. So either way if you were to rely on your HI-based insurer and had a claim from CA they could come back later and "rate" you, and ask for additional $ in arrears to cover their "risk".

You could make a new [or used] car purchase in CA through your HI dealer, taking delivery after she arrives, and probably save some $ if you have a good relationship with a local car dealer. Dealers are scrambling for business these days so you might be able to save some dough.

Here's a tip: The area you mentioned is quite environmentally aware, and is sort of "America's Hybrid Home". They are not my cup of tea, but many folks who consider themselves to be "socially aware" have chosen to buy/drive them in that general area. For mostly local streets driving, or if your daughter considers "global warming" to be a significant issue, a hybrid might be something to consider. If she were spending more time commuting on a freeway, though, I think a heavier vehicle would prove to be safer for her.

Here is a link to one of the best newspaper automotive columnists in the world, in my opinion. For well over a dozen years San Jose based "Mister Roadshow" has covered transportation issues over the entire bay area. I send the link along because once your daughter is in school she may have further driving-type questions and I recommend you give a quick read to the column archives for a usually well-informed and valuable viewpoint.

Meantime, you've made me curious so I'm checking with my #1 daugher to see what my #1 grandson is doing about vehicle registration while enrolled in college in KS. So, thanks for the good question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Next issue....car insurance for a 20 year old....where's the best place to get that!!! Should the car be registered in San Jose or Santa Clara? Does it make a difference?
I'd start with your own insurance agent. She/he will need her driver's license number and the zip code of where she'll be living. Because the car should be registered there. We call it "garaged", though on a campus that probably won't happen.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:38 PM

7 posts, read 221,367 times
Went with a Honda CRV EX-L 2WD...not a Hybrid. Hybrids are waaaay too expensive. This car is fuel efficient and uses regular gas...went with 2WD so she won't be taking a car load of kids to Tahoe for skiing....the car is really for her to get around the Santa Clara/San Jose area.

Hawaii insurance companies are cannot write policies to cover cars in California....so gonna have to find a good company there.

Quote from GEICO was about $1,800/year....hope to find something a bit less...but need t have $100,000/$300,000 coverage and good service.

Looking for recommendation on good companies and agents

Old 05-20-2009, 12:40 AM

Sounds like you made good choices. I agree about the $$ stuff with Hybrids. I've used State Farm for years and have found nobody to beat them, but then I'm old and slow - well, not really that slow, but have had very few claims with them, so no idea what a college student might have to pay. I know my son had to use Progressive for several years because of excessive tickets, and it cost a bundle. He's now with State Farm, driving slower, and smiling more.

Good luck with emptying out the nest. In my experience it doesn't stay empty very long, so get your travel done early. If I learn anything else on insurance from my neighbors and friends I'll post back here within a couple of days.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:07 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
I use Amica and found them to be very reasonable for young drivers like myself with a not quite immaculate record. They're little known but they've actually been in business longer than GEICO. If you're interested DM me and I'll give you my agent's name and number in Novato.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Went with a Honda CRV EX-L 2WD...not a Hybrid. Hybrids are waaaay too expensive. This car is fuel efficient and uses regular gas...went with 2WD so she won't be taking a car load of kids to Tahoe for skiing....the car is really for her to get around the Santa Clara/San Jose area.

Hawaii insurance companies are cannot write policies to cover cars in California....so gonna have to find a good company there.

Quote from GEICO was about $1,800/year....hope to find something a bit less...but need t have $100,000/$300,000 coverage and good service.

Looking for recommendation on good companies and agents
The last few days I've noticed several cars with HI plates driving around the Bay Area... I would think the insurance would have to match the plate

Maybe these vehicles are owned by people in the military?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:19 AM

7 posts, read 221,367 times
Been checking around...so far it looks like Allstate has the best rate and a live agent. Good driving record and good student discount, Allstate and Nationwide seem to offer the best rates...GEICO, Progressive and State Farm were higher...State Farm being the highest...maybe they didn't put in the "good student" discount...I REALLY DON'T like doing this kind of shopping!!! Arrgh!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The last few days I've noticed several cars with HI plates driving around the Bay Area... I would think the insurance would have to match the plate Maybe these vehicles are owned by people in the military?
Or they haven't come to the attention of a traffic officer ----yet.
But with the budget the way it is I expect that situation could quickly change. From a public perspective ost revenue is never fully recovered.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Been checking around...so far it looks like Allstate has the best rate and a live agent.... !
We used them for years and only changed when we moved and shopped around for a better deal. And nothing beats a live agent.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,871 times
I just bought a car from my sister (2006 toyota truck) do I have to pay sales tax we both live in riverside county CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose