Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 01:44 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move View Post
I have been looking at house prices in the bay area. Is a salary of $200K what it takes to be comfortable in this area? Even if both husband and wife work full time, it looks to me that one salary will be spent towards mortgage alone...How do you bay areaites do it?
I think the bottom line is you have to drastically reduce your expectations in terms of the kind of housing you live in. I'm single, make 50K, and live in a studio apartment. In other places, 50K is a family income that puts you solidly in the middle class. Here 50K is ok for a single person, but would put you low on the totem pole if you had any dependents.

Immigrants from the 3rd world live 2 or 3 families to a 3BR house (and yes, even 7 per house really does trash the neighborhoods, as these houses & neigbhorhoods are just not designed for it).

Others live 50 miles away and commute in. This appears to be a less and less viable option since the traffic is horrible (and getting worse all the time) and gas is well over $3 a gallon. But people are still doing it.

On 200K you can most likely own a 3BR 2BA house in a decent neigbhorhood fairly comfortably without living payday to payday. Ordinary nice, but definitely not fancy.

Where people get into trouble here is when they think they should be able to live in upper middle class neigbhorhoods on a 200K income. That might be possible if you bought your house 20 years ago, but if you are just buying now, you can forget the upper class places like Palo Alto, Cupertino, the nicest neighborhoods in San Jose, etc. unless you like the constant stress that comes from having a demanding job while still living payday to payday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 10:30 AM

463 posts, read 646,797 times
I would say if you want to raise kids, nothing under 150k with a double income family. If you want to live in a house. If you don't mind living in a town house or condo, you can reduce costs and enjoy the benifits of living in a safe area.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:06 PM

119 posts, read 716,687 times
for a single person, would $120k+ be enough to live a comfortable life?

Old 12-20-2007, 09:29 PM

7 posts, read 73,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs333 View Post
for a single person, would $120k+ be enough to live a comfortable life?
Depends - do you want to rent or buy?

$120K is only $10K a month. After taxes, $7K. If you are renting, then that leaves you $5K and you would be golden.

If you are paying a mortgage, then you will probably only have $3K per month to live on. $750 a week.

-Gas
-Home-owner's inurance
-Home owner's association costs
-Electric bill
-Trash pickup
-Auto insurance
-Water/sewage
-Groceries

You are looking at living very near paycheck to paycheck.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:57 PM

9 posts, read 47,372 times
To buy a 3/2 house in the Bay Area, you need to make more than $200 K if you want to buy anywhere within an hour's drive of San Francisco, i.e. you can buy in San Jose or far into the East Bay. My household makes $200 K and we have never been able to buy because we are not willing to commute for an hour or more. So... we rent a hideous house for an outrageous price and are considering leaving the state altogether. Sorry, this is not very helpful. guess I just needed to vent tonight.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:46 PM

141 posts, read 534,799 times
Not true unless one assumes a 3/2 house can only be had for 1.5m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyva4 View Post
To buy a 3/2 house in the Bay Area, you need to make more than $200 K if you want to buy anywhere within an hour's drive of San Francisco, i.e. you can buy in San Jose or far into the East Bay. My household makes $200 K and we have never been able to buy because we are not willing to commute for an hour or more. So... we rent a hideous house for an outrageous price and are considering leaving the state altogether. Sorry, this is not very helpful. guess I just needed to vent tonight.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:00 AM

55 posts, read 238,059 times
Default Salary

Move-
I recently bought a house out of state because I just can not afford to buy in this area. I don't think that $200K is enough to live on, especially if you have not yet bought a home.
You may want to rethink this area. I am still here because I am making a decent wage and contributing to my retirement fund with this wage. But I am looking at jobs in New Mexico where I recently bought my house.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:38 AM

5 posts, read 23,448 times
Hello, a company is offering my boyfriend 75000 a year in San Francisco, Im also looking for a job over there, but not sure if this salary will be enough for both of us meanwhile I find something. I know bay area is very expensive and would like your opinion.

Thank you

Old 01-07-2011, 10:42 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
$75,000 a year for two people in SF is a pittance. Even if you find a job that pays the same, $150,000 would not offer you a lavish lifestyle, assuming you lived in the city. Rents are exorbitant and buying a house would probably not be feasible unless you came in with a large down payment so your mortgage would not be above 2 K a month.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:54 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflo View Post
Hello, a company is offering my boyfriend 75000 a year in San Francisco, Im also looking for a job over there, but not sure if this salary will be enough for both of us meanwhile I find something. I know bay area is very expensive and would like your opinion.

Thank you
2 people can live in sf for 75k. You'd rent a 1 bedroom for about $1,500.

The issue with the bay area is if you can buy or not and if you want extra bedrooms if renting. You couldn't buy in sf with $75k and you'd need to rent the smallest place that would be comfortable. If you both work in the city, you may be able to get by without cars, so that is a savings, or just have one car for the weekends.

What you get in exchange for the high housing cost is a lot of places to go out and close by weekend day trip places like the redwoods, monterey, tahoe, santa cruz, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose