Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 11:03 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,730,230 times

Advertisements

I know there's a few of us who live in STSJ (and I think there may be a few who work downtown, too).

There's a lot of change going on lately! I love driving/walking by 1 South Market and seeing the progressing construction on the new high-rise. (And I have a friend who's anxiously waiting for construction to complete, he's interested in renting there!)

And of course, Centerra. Once completed, these 2 should bring a nice influx of new residents.

The P.F. Changs on San Fernando closed a few days ago and I'm waiting to see who will move into that space - hoping for another moderately priced restaurant; much as I love The Grille and Arcadia, some additional cheaper options would be great.

What else has happened recently, or is going to be happening soon? What do you want to see happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 11:53 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,851,022 times
For the PF Changs location, I want something akin to Nemea = high-priced, high-quality. We don't have enough of those fine dining options in Downtown, to be honest. If I go to Downtown for fine dining, I'm always heading to Nemea. They're awesome, no doubt, but I would love to have another option.

Out of the two new high-rise, Centerra is the one I'm loving the most, design-wise. One South is pretty cool too, but Centerra is so "colorful", and has that classic semi-Art Deco design of the skyscrapers of old.

The proposed Silvery Towers will most likely be the best of all the residential high-rise in Downtown though.

It's good time for Downtown right now. Momentum is building again. It'll be a really nice place in 10-15 years time, just in time for my kid to enjoy it. It sucks that during my youth Downtown wasn't all that great, but now my kids will get to enjoy it

Old 01-29-2014, 11:56 AM

Oh, and what I really wish for is San Pedro Square to extend to the north to St. James, and extend south to San Fernando. Down that way there's already several clubs/bars like Blank and Myth. Once we get that highrise on Post and San Pedro, we can get rid of the Greyhound station and put more high-rises down in that area and incorporate San Pedro into a 6-7 blocks of AWESOMENESS!

Probably won't happen until 20 years from now, but one can always wish!

Old 01-29-2014, 11:59 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,790,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
What do you want to see happen?
How about a Dish Dash opening down there? Tony and Alba's would be nice, too.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
How about a Dish Dash opening down there? Tony and Alba's would be nice, too.
Dish Dash would be too close to Nemea's food styles, I think. Also, Dish Dash already have a new branch opened in Milpitas by McCarthy.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:38 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,027,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
For the PF Changs location, I want something akin to Nemea = high-priced, high-quality. We don't have enough of those fine dining options in Downtown, to be honest. If I go to Downtown for fine dining, I'm always heading to Nemea. They're awesome, no doubt, but I would love to have another option.

Out of the two new high-rise, Centerra is the one I'm loving the most, design-wise. One South is pretty cool too, but Centerra is so "colorful", and has that classic semi-Art Deco design of the skyscrapers of old.

The proposed Silvery Towers will most likely be the best of all the residential high-rise in Downtown though.

It's good time for Downtown right now. Momentum is building again. It'll be a really nice place in 10-15 years time, just in time for my kid to enjoy it. It sucks that during my youth Downtown wasn't all that great, but now my kids will get to enjoy it
I'm surprised to hear that you don't think there is much choice for fine dining in downtown!

Emile's, Morton's, Paolo's, The Grill on the alley, Vyne Bistro, etc.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:24 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,790,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
I'm surprised to hear that you don't think there is much choice for fine dining in downtown!

Iguana's!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 AM

244 posts, read 590,731 times
Bobby is right, an independant chef driven fine dining restaurant is what would best suit the space and complement what is happening on 1st between Santa Clara and San Fernando and on S. Fernando itself. Also this may help the momentum transfer a bit to 2nd, which is still a bit tragic.
We most definitely need more fine dining downtown, our options in mid range are sufficient, but thoughtful and foodie friendly fine dining is lacking. We do have good food downtown, but it's not where it should be to be a dining destination, and it isn't something out of towners haven't seen before save for our cheap and plentiful ethnic eats. Bottom line is there is a lack of creativity with food in dtsj, and it doesn't showcase our plentiful access to local and organic products, something we should be whoring the sh*t out of.

Btw, Vyne Bistro is fine wine, but it is NOT fine dining by any means

Old 01-30-2014, 12:07 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,730,230 times
Actually.. good points... a destination restaurant would be a lovely addition. When my sweetie and I want a special, romantic dinner out, it would be lovely to have an option within walking distance. (We usually wind up at The Plumed Horse in Saratoga.)

I have to admit, I was a little nervous about the impact from the shooting during Christmas in the Park and how that might affect things, but it didn't seem to have had as much of a negative impact as I'd feared.

Speaking of food, I really miss Morocco's - I know they still have a location in Mountain View but I loved that place.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:42 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,537,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post

I'm not familiar with Paolo's, but none of the others come to mind as dining destinations. Emile's is way dated, Morton's is pretty dated too, The Grill is a little better. But something the latter two have against them is the steakhouse model, which--deserved or not--come with an air of stodginess & exclusivity. Also, while I'm not entirely anti-chain, in this case I think those two being chains doesn't help. I agree with GioLM that Vyne is for wine but not fine dining.

Something like Naglee Park Garage, but a little more upscale, would be perfect. Actually come to think of it we could use a bunch of New American ingredient-driven restaurants within the Naglee Park to Nemea range. This is something San Francisco and Oakland are full of while San Jose has almost none.

Also, San Jose could capitalize on their strength of having amazing ethnic eats. There are some really good ones just on or off the fringes of DT, but not really any outstanding ones within DT (except for maybe La Vic's.) I'd like to see some of these places move into a DT space with sleek, modern decor (kind of what Vung Tau or Mezcal looks like, although IMO both of their food is mediocre) while still serving top notch food.

Last edited by Radical347; 01-30-2014 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose