Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 04:34 PM

525 posts, read 815,281 times

Advertisements

I heard repeatedly from someone who is in senior web development (10+ years) that for my situation Bay Area is the worst in nation when it comes into getting a good tech job in junior position due to a lot of competition. I have completed 3+ years of experience supporting network systems infrastructure in Windows, in NOC and Data Center at large companies. Currently I am data center tech. I have net+, serv+, getting close to taking CCNA exam, familiar with basic programming in Python yet I can't find a junior position in network and/or systems administration. I get hunted by recruiters for contract data center tech jobs on worse condition and pay that I currently have, sometimes in boonies like Petaluma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 08:15 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,229 times
The other problem is that the current high rents will eviscerate a junior level salary, much worse than ten or even five years ago.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:33 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,015 times
It's a legitimate point IMO. Unless you live and breathe this stuff and are at the top of your field, you are probably better off getting 5+ years experience before heading down here. Most job postings seem to specify 5+ years experience, whereas in secondary tech markets like Seattle, Boston, etc., employers are more desperate for bodies and will accept fresher graduates.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:37 PM

848 posts, read 966,559 times
It was the same for me for entry level programming. I have competence and passion (i.e. not the 99% who are in it for the $$$). But since I didn't have a PhD from an ivy league or 10 years of experience, I was just a useless piece of ****. Tried this for two years. I was always told that for the rare few entry level positions that were posted, each had "200 - 300" applicants. I expanded my search to included the area I eventually wanted to move to (AZ), and as it turns out, entry level positions abounded. After just a few months of applying I landed something (and I'm about to move up to a mid level position after just 9 months) because people out here were more about the quality and potential of the individual (in my personal experience) rather than all the same useless bull**** acronyms and keywords that anyone can fudge on a resume to get passed the mindless HR zombies in SV. Silicon Valley's loss has been my current company's gain!

So yes, I had the exact same entry-level job hunting experience as you did. I ended up having to look outside of my native SV, but that was my goal anyway, so it worked out perfectly. If you are trying to stay in SV, I don't know what else to say except the same BS that's always said (open source projects, contracting, make "connections", yadda yadda).

Old 05-12-2015, 09:53 PM

115 posts, read 337,067 times
I don't necessarily think that little experience is a problem in itself, there are enough entry level positions in SV. However, it's hard to even get an interview without contacts / prior experience. There are enough corporate recruiters out there searching through LinkedIn, but if you don't have any prior experience then you won't show up in your searches. Similarly, a very good way to get a job is if you get a referral from inside the company, but again, if you don't know any people here, then that's not really an option.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:55 PM

283 posts, read 426,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
I heard repeatedly from someone who is in senior web development (10+ years) that for my situation Bay Area is the worst in nation when it comes into getting a good tech job in junior position due to a lot of competition. I have completed 3+ years of experience supporting network systems infrastructure in Windows, in NOC and Data Center at large companies. Currently I am data center tech. I have net+, serv+, getting close to taking CCNA exam, familiar with basic programming in Python yet I can't find a junior position in network and/or systems administration. I get hunted by recruiters for contract data center tech jobs on worse condition and pay that I currently have, sometimes in boonies like Petaluma
Hahaha those guys from Petaluma are crazy. They call me every other day but they can't pay $50/Hr lol. They want someone with $25/Hr to be able to coordinate 4 data centers. They are just stupid.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:05 PM

525 posts, read 815,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoreticar View Post
Hahaha those guys from Petaluma are crazy. They call me every other day but they can't pay $50/Hr lol. They want someone with $25/Hr to be able to coordinate 4 data centers. They are just stupid.
Actually they list only $22 on their job description. And want you to be based in home office in Petaluma but travel as far as San Jose. yeah... no way.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:47 PM

26 posts, read 96,111 times
I have also seen the same situation in some of the "senior" management roles, where the desire here in SV is that one is hands on with coding/software development, etc., especially in the tech companies. Not a bad thing, but most of the "senior" managers that I know in these roles are managing technical resources to deliver solutions - so while they have grown through the ranks of software development/coding etc., they are not as much hands on anymore as they were in junior levels. However when recruiting, they seem to ignore that and look for that perfect candidate that can manage technical resources and code at the same time. For startups - totally understand - everyone puts on whatever hat they have to, to get stuff done. But for the larger more established firms, that seems an SV only thing as opposed to other parts of the country. Is that only my observation?

Old 05-13-2015, 12:35 AM

283 posts, read 426,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
Actually they list only $22 on their job description. And want you to be based in home office in Petaluma but travel as far as San Jose. yeah... no way.
Yeah. 4 data centers (Santa Clara, Petaluma, San Francisco, San Bruno). They are just crazy!
And they want someone who can coordinate data center technicians with a lot of work in project management area with $22-25/Hr. LoL.

Data center technicians are people who are not good in PM world. Kyle242 is only exception
Man they rip you off honestly.

Last edited by teoreticar; 05-13-2015 at 12:58 AM..

Old 05-13-2015, 03:10 PM

327 posts, read 962,720 times
I think it's not just junior level, but practically all levels are highly competitive here. Clearly, the entry level grads are going to have the most competition because they really have no bargaining chip unless they're IVY league or graduated top in their class and or have gained experience outside of school by writing their app or something else to show.

I didn't get hired in entry level in SV. I got started in Seattle. I worked for 2 years on the job and started grad school. Didn't learn a damn thing in grad school, because I learned it all the first year on the job. I transferred down to SV after 10 years experience at some big software companies. IMO, grad school and PhD are simply for paper and opening doors. Nothing surpasses on the job experience.

You might be better off putting in 5 years of reps in a less competitive tech environment, or just grind through and get as much experience as you can. Remaining stagnant in the same role for more than 2 years isn't good. A good engineer has a large toolbox of skills. If you're not learning something new every year, someone else is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose