Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 01:54 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffdog View Post
If you live where there is traffic to get where you need to go, you are by strict definition, not in a good neighborhood.
Must be very few good neighborhoods anywhere in the Bay Area, by that definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 11:42 AM

865 posts, read 1,826,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Are we speaking of Burbank in the 80/90's? Different story these days. Only dumpy on one or two streets where the sketchy apartments are. Everybody is finding out about this place and swooping up every house on the market, which are typically pushing $600k now, and that's often before major refurbs. We might still have the Pink Poodle...but now there's a BMW motorcycle shop on the corner next door. Time's-a-changin' (Time Deli across the street ain't changin' much, though...still quite good).
I am often in this area and Bascom north of 280 before Stevens Creek and it is so very seedy looking (the retail/commercial space, not homes). I just don't understand it when looking at the cost of the houses. There's what looks like it used to be a theater with permanent graffiti on it, despite somehow being occupied by a swim school (I will admit to great curiosity how they put a pool in a theater building but wouldn't feel safe signing my kids up in that area). Blech. Is this considered Burbank? I agree there are many good things about the area, but to have a main street be so dumpy, and left that way, is baffling to me.

Where do all our taxes go!? The size and volume of the graffiti that pops up overnight in this area (particularly under the highway bridges) makes me think they don't have patrol cars going through EVER.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:29 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
There have been 11 homicides in the first 4 months of this year according to the news. That is an average of 33 for the whole year. That is very low for a city the size of San Jose. San Diego and San Jose are 2 of the safest large cities in the country.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:50 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
I am often in this area and Bascom north of 280 before Stevens Creek and it is so very seedy looking (the retail/commercial space, not homes). I just don't understand it when looking at the cost of the houses. There's what looks like it used to be a theater with permanent graffiti on it, despite somehow being occupied by a swim school (I will admit to great curiosity how they put a pool in a theater building but wouldn't feel safe signing my kids up in that area). Blech. Is this considered Burbank? I agree there are many good things about the area, but to have a main street be so dumpy, and left that way, is baffling to me.

Where do all our taxes go!? The size and volume of the graffiti that pops up overnight in this area (particularly under the highway bridges) makes me think they don't have patrol cars going through EVER.
That area is unincorporated, so the county is responsible for public works and services. That might account for the condition of the pavement. I think that's also why the Pink Poodle is located there.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:57 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post

Burbank Theater is basically condemned, that's why it looks like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose