Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,705 times

Advertisements

I am seeing a horizontal crack at foundation of my house (see the picture for the crack). Could some explain me how serious it is? I am planning to sell my house very soon. Need to know how much it will cost (approx) . Thanks inadvance for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
How serious about foundation horizontal crack?-crack.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 05:25 PM

158 posts, read 358,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchenna View Post
I am seeing a horizontal crack at foundation of my house (see the picture for the crack). Could some explain me how serious it is? I am planning to sell my house very soon. Need to know how much it will cost (approx) . Thanks inadvance for the help.
It's serious enough to hire a professional to have it looked at. Some types of cracks are "nothing" and other types are very serious. And it's the type of thing that will come out in the house sale process for sure. Sometimes these types of cracks can be filled with epoxy and then the situation is "fixed". Definitely have a home inspector out.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,705 times
Thanks Zeya for quick reply. I got this from home inspection report. Inspector suggested to evaluate with structural engineer for further evaluation. Just checking the approximate cost to repair this.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:33 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Default Disclose it!

Quote:
I sold my house with a foundation crack several years ago and trust me, foundation cracks are taken VERY seriously in California. Whatever you do, whether the crack is "serious" or not, DISCLOSE IT. Also, do not try to epoxy it and hide it. If you don't disclose, you will leave yourself wide open for a lawsuit. Don't let a realtor or anyone else tell you otherwise.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:04 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
Hire a structural engineer to evaluate the condition. Once you receive a written report then you can determine the cost of repair. Fix it consistent with the engineer's instructions, have it evaluated by the engineer again. Have that structural engineer give you an after repair written report. Attach that report to your disclosure document.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:22 AM

423 posts, read 609,640 times
To me, the best plan is for buyer to act on the issue. When you list, disclose the issue. Actually, you just need to provide your inspection report; and it is up to the buyer to review the doc.

In today's market, chances are you will get multiple offers and contingencies waived. If the buyer(s) insist on inspection contingency, give buyers 3 days.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:32 AM

However their lender may not write a mortgage with the issue not resolved.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:46 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,820,641 times
That appears to be a perfectly normal stress fracture and is no problem whatsoever. Purely cosmetic.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:13 PM

From your mouth to God's ear. If I were the seller I would have it inspected by a structural engineer and ask that person to prepare a written report to that effect. What the seller should want is as many excited buyers bidding on the house as possible. Eliminate that as a concern because there will be some buyers who will not bid, and lenders who will not write a mortgage, with that as an unknown.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:15 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,860,569 times
Quote:
Thanks Zeya for quick reply. I got this from home inspection report. Inspector suggested to evaluate with structural engineer for further evaluation. Just checking the approximate cost to repair this.

There are specialty contractors who inject an epoxy or similar product into the crack under very high pressure. Basically, they seal the entire crack to make it air-tight with the exception of a small location where they can inject the epoxy under high pressure. They release a tiny portion of the seal to let the air escape, and the epoxy fills the entire crack.

Such a contractor may have a structural engineer on staff to evaluate the crack to give an opinion if it is structural or cosmetic.

You're looking at a few thousand bucks all in.

Just do a google search on "concrete foundation repair san jose california" or the like.

Or click here: http://bit.ly/1sL2kGP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: