Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:54 PM

8 posts, read 9,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
Another thing to consider. I don't know your budget for housing. But if you are able to afford a SFH in the Bay Area, you might consider renting (or buying if you prefer) a smaller home (say, a condo or apartment) and buying the SFH in Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay, Monterey, or wherever you like. The beach towns, while far from cheap, are generally quite a bit cheaper than Silicon Valley unless you're pushing for oceanfront - so it may be doable. That way you can live the beach life on weekends, or even commute from there 1-2x a week, but still have a city place so husband doesn't burn out.

Then when you retire, just give up the city place (or sell it and possibly make a little windfall).
Thanks for this information - I would of never thought the beach communities would be "cheaper" than the valley. Good to know and will keep that in mind. I do love your idea of two SFHs, though - Probably won't be able to do that - at least not yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 04:00 PM

8 posts, read 9,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
I don't think there's any beach community that's an hour or less commute from San Jose with any reliability (unless your hubby is commuting at 3am). Santa Cruz is probably the closest but even that is 45min + without traffic and a goodly bit more with.

Are you looking for beach town "vibe" or just being close to the water? If the latter, somewhere like Redwood Shores might be an option. It is relatively boring planned suburb, but it's quite nice and is right on the Bay with great walking paths and so forth.

But honestly - my suggestion would be to live near San Jose and do the beach on weekends until your husband retires. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but in my mind, 3 hours a day in a car is not the way you want to finish out your career.

And forget Marin and the northern reaches of the East Bay - you'd be talking 2 hours each way or more many days.

At this point - boring sounds wonderful - I will check this out too. thanks!

Old 08-15-2014, 10:31 PM

23,532 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Scott's Valley is just a tad closer than Santa Cruz. Aptos and Capitola are actually further commutes to San Jose. All three are great places, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyK8 View Post
Hi Everyone! Thank you SO MUCH for all your great responses! Since my post, new developments have taken place: His employer provides bus service to many of the areas around the Bay Area - Including Santa Cruz. While it would still be a three hour drive - from what I'm reading - at least HE wouldn't be doing it!

So now, I have a few more options. Will be traveling out there come the end of September to look around.

In the meantime, I will do some research on Scott's Valley, Aptos and Capitola.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:41 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyK8 View Post
Thanks for this information - I would of never thought the beach communities would be "cheaper" than the valley. Good to know and will keep that in mind. I do love your idea of two SFHs, though - Probably won't be able to do that - at least not yet.
They are cheaper for a reason. Places like Pacifica & Half Moon Bay are cold and somewhat isolated from job centers. Places like Santa Cruz have better weather, but Santa Cruz also lacks good paying jobs relative to the very high cost of housing there.

I still agree with Azmordean that living close to work and doing the beach on the weekend is the way to go. You'll be too exhausted to do much at the beach during the week, anyway, with all that commuting.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I have heard from a couple different people that there are mobile home communities in Santa Cruz that are nice and more affordable than SFH. I met a woman who appeared to be in her 40's who bought one, and a couple of seniors who said they had purchased one in a senior park. I don't know if you are that old yet, but it's a thought. You haven't said if your budget is tight, but here goes:

Santa Cruz County Home & Community Information: Santa Cruz 55+ Senior Mobile Home Park - Sorrento Oaks

Personally, if your hubby is just going to San Jose and someone else is driving, I think Santa Cruz would be do-able and it would be so nice to come home to the beach and sunsets. ahhhhhhh.

Aptos and Capitola will be too far. Scotts Valley would be nice, but then you will have to make a trip to the beach, though it's not far. But, it wouldn't be like coming home and seeing the ocean every night.

BTW, the Santa Cruz beaches are dog friendly, in case that matters. Many beach communities are not.

Oh, and beaches on the SF Bay are nothing like the ocean.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:56 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,535 times
Snow : There are beaches on SF bay? (Not being sarcastic - just surprised.) Do you mean beaches (with sand), or "waterfront" (which is usually just dirt or mud or rushes around the Bay).

For OP : I also would recommend living closer to work and save recreational beach time for the weekend.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Snow : There are beaches on SF bay? (Not being sarcastic - just surprised.) Do you mean beaches (with sand), or "waterfront" (which is usually just dirt or mud or rushes around the Bay).

For OP : I also would recommend living closer to work and save recreational beach time for the weekend.
There are a lot of beaches around SF Bay, but yes, they're more dirt type beaches - Alameda, Mountain View, SF - the entire Bay is surrounded by land, therefore, beaches do exist. But, they aren't the ocean, that's for sure.

http://www.abag.ca.gov/bayarea/baytr...vw/Btmtvw2.htm

http://www.ebparks.org/parks/crown_beach

http://www.sftodo.com/beach-san-francisco.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose