Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 05:40 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times

Advertisements

Looking to get a quick answer from all you in-state folks in the knowing. What's the average rent over there. I have a dog.

Also, what is an acceptable salary there to live comfortably (as an, I'll have money to go out every weekend, pay rent, and other stuff)? I'll be coming there from DC.

would also like to know the salary trends for a sr level designers with about 12 years experience, and proven track records. Also, 1st tier design school, recommendations from industry leaders, blah blah blah. I think there is an over saturation of designers there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 06:36 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
Looking to get a quick answer from all you in-state folks in the knowing. What's the average rent over there. I have a dog.

Also, what is an acceptable salary there to live comfortably (as an, I'll have money to go out every weekend, pay rent, and other stuff)? I'll be coming there from DC.

would also like to know the salary trends for a sr level designers with about 12 years experience, and proven track records. Also, 1st tier design school, recommendations from industry leaders, blah blah blah. I think there is an over saturation of designers there.
For 1bd 1 bath, I would venture to say the average rent is around $1900-$2000/mo in San Jose these days, though that is tough to say as I'm more familiar with my submarket around downtown than everywhere, I think North San Jose and West San Jose are more expensive, while south and east San Jose are cheaper, so I think that is around average.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
First, you don't say where you want to live, so we really can't help you (many people post on the San Jose forum for all of the nearby towns & cities). And San Jose itself is much larger than D.C., and the rents probably vary more than they do in D.C. - think of the huge variance just around D.C. and you'll understand how impossible it is to answer your question. The rent could easily be double, and quite possibly triple, from the lowest to the highest rents. You also don't say what type of lodging you are looking for, so (yet again) nobody can really answer your question. That's like saying "I want to buy a car, what should I get" and not say if you want used to new, or you have a 4WD requirement because you have to drive 2 mi every day on a dirt road.

2nd, what do you mean by "designer" - do you design clothing? Building facades? product logos?

Anyhow, a great place to get a "feel" for renting in the area is craigslist - it started here (Bay Area) but its just like the one for D.C. : south bay area apts/housing for rent - craigslist (ignore the unbelievably cheap ones, they are usually scams).

Old 08-13-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
For 1bd 1 bath, I would venture to say the average rent is around $1900-$2000/mo in San Jose these days, though that is tough to say as I'm more familiar with my submarket around downtown than everywhere, I think North San Jose and West San Jose are more expensive, while south and east San Jose are cheaper, so I think that is around average.
And he could get a room for ~ $800 (sharing an appt) or an in-law cottage/garage for anywhere from 1200-3500 depending on where it was (Los Gatos vs. Campbell vs. Los Altos)

Old 08-13-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post

3 times what you pay for rent - just like anywhere else (providing you don't already have other debts you are paying, like student loans or a large credit card balance)

Old 08-14-2014, 11:27 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
average rent in silicon valley for a 1 bed 1bath is probably about $1700 right now. But there's wide variance - you can find a decent apartment for in Santa Clara for about $1300, while in Mountain View a 1 bedroom might go for $2500.

An acceptable salary for a single person around here might be $70k or $80k, but whether this is in line with the market rate for your experience and job title is a different matter. You say you are a "designer" but what do you mean by this? Give more details.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
How much do you need to live the way you want to live in DC?

Old 08-14-2014, 08:22 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
average rent in silicon valley for a 1 bed 1bath is probably about $1700 right now. But there's wide variance - you can find a decent apartment for in Santa Clara for about $1300, while in Mountain View a 1 bedroom might go for $2500.

An acceptable salary for a single person around here might be $70k or $80k, but whether this is in line with the market rate for your experience and job title is a different matter. You say you are a "designer" but what do you mean by this? Give more details.

I pay $2k + (parking, pet fee, work parking fee, etc) now for 1/1 in DC. I'm a coder and graphic/web/Drupal/SharePoint/industrial designer. I make six figures, but on the low end.

I'm looking near San Fran, San Jose, and Silicon Valley. I'm just not familiar enough with the area. I hear the traffic is worst than here, and cost of living is higher as well as crime rates... But I think Pros overweight cons, especially for me, since I'm single, younger, etc.

Thx

Old 08-14-2014, 09:11 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
An arm, a leg, and a spleen.

Edit: oh, but you're from Washington, DC. There are some truly terrible commutes here, but it ain't the Beltway. And the prices are not that much higher than DC.

Last edited by sonarrat; 08-14-2014 at 09:37 PM..

Old 08-14-2014, 09:21 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,266 times
I pay $1800/mo for a luxury 1BR in south SJ. It's a nice neighborhood, but an... annoying... commute to the Sunnyvale/Mountain View/etc job centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose