Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 08:37 PM

162 posts, read 180,302 times

Advertisements

in fall :Coyote Valley RV & Golf Resort 9750 Monterey Rd Morgan Hill CA 95037 is where we are thinking staying.
we wish to do SF sight seeing.
best public transit solution?
thanks all

Yes we will be sightseeing in San Jose too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 08:54 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,051,959 times
Easy question for me, there's a Caltrain station right there in Morgan Hill, get on that and ride it all the way to San Francisco! Bus 68 will take you there, it runs down Monterey Road.

Now Caltrain doesn't run from Morgan Hill on weekends, so you would want to ride 68 to Santa Teresa Light Rail station, then get on Light Rail and ride it to Convention Center Station, then get on a light rail train that says "Winchester" and ride that to San Jose Diridon Station, then you can get on Caltrain to San Francisco.

caltrain.com
Santa Clara Valley Transporation Authority

Old 08-18-2014, 09:12 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,547,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon125 View Post
in fall :Coyote Valley RV & Golf Resort 9750 Monterey Rd Morgan Hill CA 95037 is where we are thinking staying.
we wish to do SF sight seeing.
best public transit solution?
thanks all

Yes we will be sightseeing in San Jose too!
If you're going on a weekend to SF I would suggest either driving to San Jose Diridon and taking the Caltrain from there, depending on where in SF you're going you will either take the train all the way to SF or transfer to BART at Millbrae.

Or if you're okay with more driving, drive to Fremont BART station in Fremont.

If you don't have access to a car you will have to walk about .2 mi to take the VTA 68 bus to Diridon, from there take the Caltrain, the 68 can also can drop you off in downtown San Jose.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:53 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,088,341 times
The 68 bus does NOT run on Monterey Road through that area. It runs on Hale/Santa Teresa.. and there's no pedestrian access to Richmond Ave, which means it would be a 2 mile walk to the nearest bus stop at Hale & Palm. The roads in that area are flat and sparsely traveled, so a bicycle would be helpful. There's also a small parking lot near the bus stop where you can leave your car for free, if you have one. I used to do that when I went to SJSU.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:08 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,088,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
The 68 bus does NOT run on Monterey Road through that area. It runs on Hale/Santa Teresa.. and there's no pedestrian access to Richmond Ave, which means it would be a 2 mile walk to the nearest bus stop at Hale & Palm. The roads in that area are flat and sparsely traveled, so a bicycle would be helpful. There's also a small parking lot near the bus stop where you can leave your car for free, if you have one. I used to do that when I went to SJSU.
It looks like that parking lot I remembered is actually a bit farther south, at Hale & Tilton.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:21 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,029,026 times
From 'Coyote Valley RV & Golf Resort 9750 Monterey Rd', it will take about an hour to get to the train station via a combo of walking and bus #58. THEN you have to take the train to San Francisco, which takes an additional 2 hours. That's 3 hours ONE WAY to get to San Francisco. And then another 3 hours to get back to Morgan Hill. Also, trains from Morgan Hill only run very early in the morning on weekdays (6:22, 6:43, and 7:20) and only three trains run south to Morgan Hill in the evening (15:07, 16:56, and 17:27). Frankly, I wouldn't choose to do it that way if I had a choice.

*IF* you have access to a vehicle, but you just don't want to drive up to San Francisco, *I* would drive to Mountain View and catch the train there. Many, many, many more trains (all day long) and much more flexibility. Plus it's about a 30 min drive to MV (outside of rush hour), and then about an hour train trip to SF - much less time spent traveling. You have to pay for parking at the station, OR you can park for free by parking on the street and walking 5-10 minutes. (Parking is restricted close by the station - from 2-5 hours, depending on which street.) There are limited-stop 'bullet' trains during peak commuter hours.

You must buy a ticket before getting on the train - there are ticket vending machines at each station.

You can find schedules and maps here : Schedules .

Last edited by marcopolo666; 08-19-2014 at 02:03 AM..

Old 08-19-2014, 07:14 AM

162 posts, read 180,302 times
thanks everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose