Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:23 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't even think SJ is ugly. It's only ugly in comparison to SF. Most other large cities in the U.S. aren't any nicer to look at. (Here's to you New York!).
My wife and I love New York. We go there every summer for a few weeks and stay in mid-Manhattan.

San Jose is ugly compared to San Diego, Seattle, Portland, etc. I lived in all of these placves.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:53 PM

197 posts, read 347,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffdog View Post
So to paraphrase the above statement: Because I am old and boring, I don't want to be around non-boring young attractive people who make me look bad and feel insecure, therefore I choose to locate myself near people who are even more banal and uninteresting than I am in order to feel "my age"... The fact that you used the word "rollerblading" in any context betrays every point you tried to make about San Jose being a cool place to live.

There is no diversity of any type in Silicon Valley, you have tech nerds and non-tech nerds who service the tech nerds. There is nothing else. The color of their skin or their nationality is irrelevant, what is relevant is that all of them are stuck in crippling traffic everyday going to and from their cube farms and overpriced small tract houses. And sorry to break it to you, but I am not 'jealous' of your modest home or that I don't want to pay 1.2m to live among a bunch of losers who spent their entire time in college watching other men date all the girls they could not.

The so called "offerings" you mentioned in San Jose are all nothing more than what one could find in Fresno or San Bernadino, in other words-- nothing special, with the side benefit of no attractive women around. But, I guess you are "into that" also.

I have a feeling that people just get stuck in SJ because they overmortgaged themselves and CAN'T leave, it was never their choice.
Does this also apply to the surrounding cities or does this only apply within SJ city limits? What if I own homes in two cities? How will we figure out if I'm a pretty winner or ugly loser?

Old 09-02-2014, 11:10 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
My wife and I love New York. We go there every summer for a few weeks and stay in mid-Manhattan.
And??? New York is ugly IMO. Sure the greenery is beautiful, if you can find some (aside from weeds growing in cracks in the concrete).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
San Jose is ugly compared to San Diego, Seattle, Portland, etc. I lived in all of these placves.
So....you're still proving my point. You've had the privilege of living in some lovely areas, and SJ doesn't compare to them. But most other large cities don't compare to those places either.

San Jose isn't a "10" on the beauty scale, but I do believe it's better than average.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:15 PM

310 posts, read 686,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffdog View Post
There is no diversity of any type in Silicon Valley, you have tech nerds and non-tech nerds who service the tech nerds. There is nothing else. The color of their skin or their nationality is irrelevant, what is relevant is that all of them are stuck in crippling traffic everyday going to and from their cube farms and overpriced small tract houses. And sorry to break it to you, but I am not 'jealous' of your modest home or that I don't want to pay 1.2m to live among a bunch of losers who spent their entire time in college watching other men date all the girls they could not.

The so called "offerings" you mentioned in San Jose are all nothing more than what one could find in Fresno or San Bernadino, in other words-- nothing special, with the side benefit of no attractive women around. But, I guess you are "into that" also.
I'm still mostly with duffdog. Preach it, man.

Hyper competition destroys most people's personalities. You can't expect diversity or contemplation when a person feels compelled to strip out every thought and emotion that doesn't help them compete. All you are left with is many people who are a grab bag of defense mechanisms. They work super long and super hard and, when they aren't working, they defend their life choices (and denigrate other people's life choices in defense of their own choices). Not a good recipe for utopia.

I can understand how it's really tempting for techies (and the non-techies who service them) to buy into these manufactured hallucinations that they (we) live such charmed and wonderful lives, to take the truth of what duffdog is saying and say, "I just want to hallucinate and convince myself that it ain't so."

Old 09-03-2014, 03:57 PM

27 posts, read 74,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagleepark View Post

Hyper competition destroys most people's personalities. You can't expect diversity or contemplation when a person feels compelled to strip out every thought and emotion that doesn't help them compete. All you are left with is many people who are a grab bag of defense mechanisms. They work super long and super hard and, when they aren't working, they defend their life choices (and denigrate other people's life choices in defense of their own choices). Not a good recipe for utopia.

I can understand how it's really tempting for techies (and the non-techies who service them) to buy into these manufactured hallucinations that they (we) live such charmed and wonderful lives, to take the truth of what duffdog is saying and say, "I just want to hallucinate and convince myself that it ain't so."
I don't agree with duffdog because his experiences are completely different from my experiences. I don't work in tech, I don't know anyone that works in tech, no one in my circle deals with anyone that works in tech, and somehow we're all happy. Just because you don't know what's out there doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

It's also kind of insulting to say that anyone that is happy is just lying to themselves, as if everyone wants to live in le glorious and perfect San Francisco or New York.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:22 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
Quote:

Sounds like you just need a vacation.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:23 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaningfizz View Post
I don't agree with duffdog because his experiences are completely different from my experiences. I don't work in tech, I don't know anyone that works in tech, no one in my circle deals with anyone that works in tech, and somehow we're all happy. Just because you don't know what's out there doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

It's also kind of insulting to say that anyone that is happy is just lying to themselves, as if everyone wants to live in le glorious and perfect San Francisco or New York.
While there are plenty of non-tech related jobs and activities in San Jose, I don’t know how someone can live in San Jose and not know anyone who works in tech (let alone not know anyone who knows anyone who works in tech), but other than that I agree.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
While there are plenty of non-tech related jobs and activities in San Jose, I don’t know how someone can live in San Jose and not know anyone who works in tech (let alone not know anyone who knows anyone who works in tech), but other than that I agree.
I'm trying to think, but I honestly don't. I know people that work in finance, legal, culinary, education, design, music, civil engineering, but no tech.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:43 PM

310 posts, read 686,796 times
Duffdog acknowledges (and I agree) that it is possible to be happy, yet live among "boring, antisocial and unattractive people" in a town where there "is nothing of interest ... for a person who likes to do things other than hack Tinder for dates and sit in traffic". Both can be true.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
So what exactly are you implying with a statement like this? To me, it sounds like you're saying that anyone that is happy is lying to themselves. You guys are trying to paint an entire population of a million people as ugly, boring, and delusional, and that's a bunch of ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose